3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: blacktail deer hunters  (Read 175 times)

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
blacktail deer hunters
« on: October 06, 2012, 06:12:00 AM »
It's been fifteen years or so since I've bowhunted blacktails during the rut and back then I didn't know anyone that rattled for them. I would always still hunt and I usually filled my tag during the early season. My question is have any of you had luck with rattling for blacktails and what's the best technique if you do?  The only two species of deer I've ever hunted are blacktails and mulies so the only rattling I've ever seen is on tv.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: blacktail deer hunters
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »
Been rattling blacktail bucks since 1985. I use a big set(130-140 4pt class buck) of rattlers...but I started out with a smaller set way back when.

Patience and confidence are the biggest factors in rattling blacktail bucks!

I start out with a loud crack and and rattle aggressively for 45-60 seconds. Then I wait at least 5 minutes, followed by another 20-30 seconds of rattling. Quite often a buck will be coming toward the sound after the first sequence and might be close when you start the second rattling sequence. I've had many bucks come charging in during the second sequence and catch me rattling.  

If I'm in a sweet spot with lots of buck sign, then I'll continue to rattle for 30-35 minutes before moving a quarter mile or so.

I don't rake brush or stomp the ground anymore, those bucks are keyed in on the sound of the antlers.

Some guys go out HOPING to rattle a blacktail, I go out expecting to rattle in a blacktail.

I rattled in this buck a few years ago...

"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
I've done well treestand hunting funnels/structure like I have in the past for WT.  You get bored of the silence you can always beat antler together!

BTW, I did have a nice buck come in to check out the commotion of a different buck departing the scene that I had just shot!

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 01:07:00 AM »
Nice buck,congregations! I also hunt from treestand for blacktails.I have done very well and feel from a treestand is your best bet.

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 03:28:00 AM »
That's a very nice blacktail, I have a ladder stand but I haven't hunted southern OR in a few years so I don't have the animals patterned at all to figure out where to put a stand and I'll be on a pretty tight timeline.  I was thinking rattling might increase my chances.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©