3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: jb weld  (Read 422 times)

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
jb weld
« on: August 12, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »
Can I use JB weld to attach magnus to aluminum adapters?
Is it deer season yet?

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: jb weld
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
ANYONE??
Is it deer season yet?

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
If you can use hot melt I dont see why not.  It's pretty much an epoxy anyway.  Just scratch up inside of magnus with sandpaper and clean both with alcohol or similar.

Offline ROB TAYLOR

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
Yep, you can use JB Weld for ANYTHING!  Well...almost.  LOL.
-Rob
>>>--TGMM-Family of the Bow--->

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
I use JB on my inserts in my GT's and I think it works awesome... be prepared for "PERMANANT"

Offline txcookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
Well I just tried it on 2 Nuge heds with their adapters. Permanet is a scary word but Magnus blades are rather cheap and If all else fails I can always pick up the ones that already have the inserts installed. I am impatient and did want to wait till monday to get the hotmelt
Is it deer season yet?

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »
FYI, DR. Ashby's latest research shows aluminum broadhead adaptors to the be weakest link in any screw-in head system and says never to use them. A very high rate of breakage in his test shots into heavy bone. Go with steel only he says.

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »
If you're hunting deer don't worry about the aluminum inserts, they work just fine. There isn't a deer rib built that's going to break one and if you hit one in the shoulder you're going to have other things to worry about.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
Not if you follow Ashby's advice. That's what he's all about ... eliminating those "other things to worry about" in the "worst case scenario" shots that happen to us all far more often than we'd care to admit, even to ourselves. We have opinions based on limited personal experience. He has irrefutable data. To each his own, but I'll go with science over faith every time.

Offline W.Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
jb weld is TUFF STUFF.........it should hold them  :readit:

Offline donw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
it will work...
i was told by a sales person, when purchasing an out-of-date newpaper that it was out-of-date...

i told her "i've been told i'm out-of-date, too"...

does that mean i'm up-to-date?

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
A point of interest...all aluminum adapters are not created equal.  Most are a poor grade of aluminum, Magnus makes some that are 7075 and MUCH stronger.  In fact Magnus started making them because they were disgusted with the strength of the other adapters commonly available, which they had been using prior to making their own.

Steel is even stronger, a great choice if you have a set up that can handle the weight.

JB weld, epoxy, power bond, ferrule tite will all work just fine for installation.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
That's a good point Slowbow. Tuning is a bigger issue then potential poor shot placement. If someones has them tuned up with aluminum, you can't simply switch to steel without cutting/switching arrows. I'm convinced the higher FOC's are the best thing since steel broadheads but that takes prior planning....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©