3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: game bags  (Read 421 times)

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
game bags
« on: October 07, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
My father once had the pleasure of meeting Monty Browning at a Compton. The thing that stuck in his mind was when he said, "I will not hunt with a man who doesn't bring game bags and pack to carry meat. He does not expect success." With that in mind should I get the thicker canvas like bags or the cheaper tshirt like ones for my backcountry elk hunt?
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: game bags
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
On smaller came I prefer pillow cases.   On larger game I like the heavier duty canvas style.   I think it's kinda goofy to carry the heavier bags in a day pack.   Tag bags seem to be all the rave up here though I've never used them.   I would definatly carry a tarp and rope.  U can keep meat clean and get it hung while you're packing out.  You'll want a couple extra bags at camp so u can rotate them out.   Helps keep things clean and dry!   I think a lot of my decision on carrying is based on what I am doing.  How close is camp/mode of transport.

Stay away from the cheese cloth bags.   They are a waste of money imho.   Junk!!!!

Another idea is to use spray on style game bags.  Indian valley meats here in Ak sells it.  U can find something similar at sportsmans and I am sure cabelas.  You won't need extra bags this way and its supposed to really help with flies!    Comes in a  powder form.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
I will be carrying T.A.G. game bags from now on.
The are effective and light weight.  Just wash them up for reuse over and over.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
Where do I buy T.A.G. bags?  Can they take elk quarters or just meat?
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
They can take full moose quarters.    Check out Larry's web at pristine ventures.   Sportsmans has them also.  

They are lighter than the heavier canvas bags.   Those heavy bags also can be cleaned for reuse as can pillow cases.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
Both T.A.G. bag and Carribou gear bags are about impossible to get right now.  Any other suggestions?
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
I just went to the pristine ventures website and it looks like they are available to ship right now.

http://www.pristineventures.com/products/game-bags.html

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
If u can't find them let me know.  I can run into town and see what's in stock. Larry's easy to deal with.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
ended up getting some regular heavy duty bags for this year.  The owner at pristine adventures is out until the 15th so I can't check with him about stock on hand and shipping. I need them by the 25th.  I kept the receipt from one of the big hunting stores I bought the bags from just in case.
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
I never carry game bags when hunting on my place... but I do keep the tractor key handy.
Sam

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »
Pillow cases from the second hand store is what I use.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
I like Caribou Gear game bags best. Light weight and don't let the flys in and much better than mesh bags. I just rewashed my bags after my last hunt,they are on their 3rd use since I bought them. I do like the heavey canvas bags for around camp but are heavy to carry in a pack. I also use wool bags,bulap bags used to pack wool in after shearing sheep. They are cheap and you can hang a elk whole in them.

Offline RockChucker30

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
I used caribou gear carnivore bags this year on a backcountry hunt and they did great.  I was solo though, so if I do that again I think I'll take hyalite 25L dry bags so I can sink the meat in a cold creek to give me more time to get back to the truck during hot weather.
It ain't the bow, it's the Indian behind it.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
Rock chucker.  U can do the same with contractor grade plastic bags.  

For those trying or reading about this water bath.  The idea is to cool meat in the bags in the river by day and hang by night without the bags to allow air circulation.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
We have used a great trick for many years on elk.   Walmart sells very thin cotton pillow slip covers with tiny zippers.  They are about 1.50 a piece.  You will need 8 for an average elk.  Use can easily wash and reuse and they weigh next to nothing.

We put front boned quarters in 2
We bone and split the hindquarters into 2 pieces (4 bags)
We put  a backstrap, loin and some neck meat in each of the last 2

We only carry two bags with us during the hunt.  When you kill one just quarter it and hang it from a limb or pole ( or just lay it out on some logs. )

The first load is backstraps and horns and thus you only need 2 with.

Each bag ends up at 22-40 lbs depending on the size of the animal.  

PS.  I'm not a fan of plastic or non breathable bags for elk.  Out west its so dry that the outer part of the meat crusts through evaporation and cools nicely even in mild weather.   Keeping it out of the sun is the key.   We have used plastic but the meat always seems to sour in flavor?

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
plastic is only used for submerging....you'll use your regular bag of choice for packing out or hanging during the night!

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
:-)  I can't help but agree with that sentiment.  

Its never encouraging when I go out with guys a first time and they have a fanny pack on...

We're hking in a minimum of 2.5 miles as the crow flies in some gnarly county for an 800 lb animal.  I'd really not like to have to walk back out and than back in just to get a pack for my partner!  especially since I am already wearing a pack capable of carrying the bull off the mountain, now.  For elk, it seems crazy.  Sometimes I do think it would be nice to be hunting close enough to civilization to just wear a quiver, or some such.  But, you can always dream I suppose.  But again, like was pointed out, if you aren't carrying the gear to get an animal out, what do you expect of that hunt?  

anyway, I always have at least 4 Kifaru Meat bags, which weigh and pack to nothing along with either a emergency blanket or regular sheet to lay meat on to cool and keep clean.  Also, a Boning knife and a razor zipper, along with a pack that is more then capable.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline NO SIGHTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
when i buy my game bags the lady or guy at the register gives me the craziest look!

How do you explain buying the whole rack of extra jumbo biggest they got PANTY HOSE!

Thats right i use panty hose. lighter than anything else and work just as good. Every ounce counts when ya walk miles in the mountains of colorado.
I hunt just like the men who walked the trail of tears.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
Its nice to not have to go to camp 2.5 miles away for a frame (which on this style of hunt I'd have on my back most likely), a wyoming saw, 5lbs of bags, 10lbs of salt  or any other other nifty tool we choose to use to butcher and pack out game....but reality is huntin with that much on your back isnt the greatest idea either.  if you plan on being in 2.5 miles why not carry it in to your camp and hunt without it?   I expect to kill something on every hunt but I dont carry walk around with a 50lb pack frame on either.   Whether it was in wy or here in ak.  

How durable are your panty hose bags NS?  are you pack framing things out?  Having to hang in trees out in the field?  Using horses or other pack animals?  You're exactly right ounces count!  

I've noticed at least for me what I carry is relative to how I'm hunting..where, how far etc.   Did we fly in, pack, boat, bike etc etc etc.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 02:31:00 AM »
That's the thing though, the bags and another knife add negligible weight.  The pack (kifaru longhunter) isn't in the way at all while hunting, but is ready for heavy loads the moment the animal is down.  I've tried to hunt without it, but I've never killed a critter several miles in where I wasn't grateful to have the stuff ready to go.  And honestly hunting without it is a pain anyway, the pack just fits better and carries my stuff better, more stable and comfy, tight to my back.  The whole pack  loaded is about 17-23 lbs though, depending on how much water is in there, I barely notice it.    

Definitely don't use the salt or a saw though, Since I'm boning everything, just need a knife.  The kifaru bags weigh nearly nothing (about what pantyhose do, but I love the thought line!)  If you're going to, Carry hide out to a road, then salt it.  

There's also the issue of time.  Every year I only have so many days, and I dont only have to get my elk and carry them out, but buddies' bulls too.  Time is of the essence.

Here's another question for you guys, when at camp, do you prefer to hang meat (given a mild temperature) or use a cooler and ice?
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©