3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First hunt back home.........  (Read 486 times)

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
First hunt back home.........
« on: October 07, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
I just got home from a 35 day hunting trip in Idaho and sure wanted to hit the woods here back in Texas.But the grass was over three feet tall and there was a hole in the front step and a world of other things that needed done.So it took me two days of work ( mower was also busted , $280 worth of parts later the yard got finished ) and with everything in order and the wife happy it was time for some hometown hunting.Whitetail season had started several days ago and I was ready to go after em.Went out and did a little scouting on several of the places I get to hunt on and with that said I am a very lucky guy in that regard with many great places to hunt.I have some great friends that let me hunt and fish on there land and my honeyhole is my in-laws land , just a small place here in Salado Tx that is all mine to hunt as I please ( pretty dang sure I have the best in-laws that there ever was).Ok with my scouting done I kinda had a plan and it was if I saw something I would shoot it.We have been without any rain for a while when I left for Idaho but it sure did rain while I was gone , everything is green the grass is waist tall and the acorns are falling like rain.
 Me and my father-in-law had rode around his land so he could show me where the hogs had been rooting , and with orders to shoot em all I was set for the next days hunt.Up and at em several hours before light , well the moon was so bright you could see 200yds.Not sure where to go with it being so hot and bright I went for a stand near our tank.The plan was to get in the stand a good hour before light and the plan was going great , I was on time and had a good south wind.Well I was about 100yds of so from my stand when I heard it , I stopped and stood still and sure enough there it was again.The sound of a hog down in a wallow on the edge of the tank he was shaking his head so hard you could hear his ears flopping and popping against his head at a 100yds.The wind is right and I can see great with the moon ,so no thought of whitetail hunting now its hog stalken time.I could tell where he was by all the noise he was making splashing around flopping his ears and breaking cattails , every time he would get loud I would hurry my pace.And before I knew it I was four steps from him with no shot.He was down in the worst spot he could be in for a bow shot , it was a little hair raising at times.He was down in the shadows of some oak trees and brush and cattails and tall grass , I still had no idea of his true size.I could get a slight look now and then of his wet body or the glint off an eye , the hole he was in kept him just covered enough. I thought he was big just not sure ( did not matter he was getting an arrow one way or another big or not ).So as I stand no more than 4 or 5 yards from him for I would guess ten min or so Im thinking this is my first hunt back home and the sun hasent even came up yet.My pulse is way out of hand at this point cause I just got a good look at his face and if what I just saw is right its gona hurt if he comes out of this hole mad.As a few more mins pass he makes his move and starts walking away down the edge of the tank.In 10 more yards he will be in the open and quatering away for about an 18yd shot.Still no sign of the sun just the bright moon with not a cloud in the sky it was all good in my world.As he hit the clear I was already at full draw and tracking him as he walked a few more steps and then I let her rip.The lighted nock was in him in a flash and he was off like a race horse for about 50yds.He stopped on a dime and tore into the cattails and made a hell of a time in em for about 20 seconds , I could not see him but I could see cattails in the air and the whole side of the tank had splashing and waves moving all around.
 Then all was still and quiet as I stood there my legs began to shake ( pretty bad ) and its 85 out here and Im sweating my butt off.Man I love hunting with a trad bow I just dont think there is anything better ( this is my drug , my high ).
Then I hear some grunts and groans that sounded real good to me but not so good for him.With lots of reeds breaking and splashing for a few seconds all was quiet again.I went on and got in my treestand for the Whitetail hunt and saw a few deer and all the life of an early morn Texas hunt.I can see the tank from the stand and keep scanning the edge of the bank for any sign of the hog and never could see him , and I looked several times.Its about 8am now and I stood up to let my butt wake up from sitting , looked over my right shoulder and out in the tank about 20yds was a floating hog butt with his tail in the air.A quick look with the binos and yep its a hog butt for sure and a big hog butt it was.And I have never been so happy to see a hog butt as I was right then.No more thoughts of deer I wanted to see this dude in some light so down I go.
 Well there he is and nothing I can do but look at his butt out in the water , all you can see is about the size of a basketball floating there.His body and head are underwater , he sure has a big rear end is all I know at this point.Up to the house to tell my tale of the early morn hog.Well my mother-in-law says she is going with me in case I need some help , my Father-in-law was in the back room listening to the story and yells give me 10mins to get dressed Im not gona miss this ( he can only get around on crutches or in a wheelchair ) but he is the most hard working man I have ever known , I think he is unstoppable.Anyway we get some rope and a big hook to fish this guy out of the tank and all load up in the fourwheel drive buggy.Off we go me telling the story again and getting excited about it , I keep telling them I know he has a big butt.

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First hunt back home.........
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
As they watch and give me grief about my throwing ability , as Im having a hard time getting him hooked.I get the hook in him and start pulling him in......

When I get the moss off his face and get a good look at him He is a good one.....

Turns out he is one of the best boars I have ever taken.....

I cant pull him out so we hook him up to the buggy with Nancy at the wheel and Tom supervising the operation.We cant get a straight pull on him so we put the rope around a tree and do a side pull.About half way up they have to put it in 4x4 mode to get him up the bank....

HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
We get him up on the tank dam and get a good look at him and I am proud as I can be he is a great boar. I got him with my Bear T/D that has Schafer limbs 52# @30 a 600gr GT 75/95 with a RibTec broadhead. The shot took him Quatering away and he was dead on his feet , total distance traveled was about 75yds....

Could not get him loaded in the bed so I cut him up right there.The skull will be a cool euro mount for the wall. We went back to the house and Nancy made us a big breakfast with homemade biscuits...

The End.................

,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
Dang, that IS a good one!

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
Good record of the hunt and great boar.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline GRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Congrats on a great hog. Thanks for the story and pics.      Gerald

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
Nice boar!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
Great deal Sam!! Congrats on the great hunt and outstanding inlaws. Your sure hard on them piggies Sam. Keep up the good work.

Chris

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
Nice one Sam!

How are you liking the Bubinga TD handle compared to the older handles?

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
Very nice hog Sam!  Way to go sir!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Horn Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
Very nice Sam. Great shot on him.

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
WOW! That's a big hog!

:thumbsup:

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
Hogzilla   :thumbsup:  Those are some big chompers.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
Great hunt Sam.
You have great In-Laws too!
Congratulations once again.

.......Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
What a pig of a pig !!

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
Very nice, congrats.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
You are a one man animal population control agency! Awesome!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
Well done Sam,I like those tusks!
How do you like those Shafer limbs'
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
The Shafer limbs are great I love em , at 52# @30 and the 64" #3 limb its almost like you are pulling thin air. I can hold back a long long time if I need with them.......
,,,Sam,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Boy, that's a big guy!  Congratulations!     :clapper:

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©