3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: rubber blunts for bunnies  (Read 2035 times)

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
rubber blunts for bunnies
« on: January 17, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
Just wondering if yall have had much luck using these for rabbits.  I have them on over a 125 grain blunt, for 260 grains up front(including insert), for a total arrow weight of 680 grains.  Shooting a Wapiti takedown recurve, 70#, at about 183 fps.  I have heard people say not to use rubber blunts for rabbits, but where I hunt there is lots of lava rock, which tends to eat your arrows or heads.  Anyone have experiece with these?

brackshooter

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: rubber blunts for bunnies
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »
I find that the big blunts work great with high speed heavy arrows like your set up. I've used "bludgeon" type which are hard plastic with large surface from heavy bows - they go down and stay down.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
With all that wieght up front you should have NO PROBLEM sending them bunnies to the Big Cooking Pot In The Sky!!!!!

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
Sorry to disagree but bunnies are tougher than ya think. On my hunt one year I see a guy shooting 80+ pounds and 750+ arrow(Nutter) hit one solid and roll it over and it got up and kept going. Head shots yes, body no. If ya are hunting by yourself and no dogs, a broadhead is best, followed by blunts, judos and wingnuts. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
I've used rubber on squirrels and with body shots have had them get up and shake it off afer a couple minutes. Head shots are needed. But ya better clean-em real fast.
Bunnies are tougher.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
I totally agree with Shaun. High energy bows shooting heavy arrows are deadly on cottontails and even their bigger cousin the snowshoe hare.

I've killed hundreds with HTM rubber blunts.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »
Thanks for the help fellas, looks like I will give the blunts a try, and maybe keep some wingnuts w/ fieldtips in my pack just in case.  

brackshooter

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
Charlie, I'm on the fence with this one.....I use 125gr. steel blunts on all of my wood bunny arrows. They punch a BIG cleen hole through and through!!!!! (and I have LOTS of them because I bought 100 of them from 3Rivers a few years back)

During the Big Game season.....EVERYTHING gets a broadhead!!!!! (because thats all I carry with me)

I have shot more than a few bunnies with rubber blunts and I can only remember 1 that got up and hopped away. BUT.....I PERSONALY witnessed Larry's son Gorilla err I mean Gregg hit that bunny broadside with a HUGE nutter from an 80+ pound bow and that bunny rolled over.....jumped up.....and hopped away as if nothing ever happened to him!!!!!   :eek:

I would think that rubber blunts from a heavy bow would work GREAT!!!!! But I have to say that I know where Shawn is coming from.....I seen it with my own eyes!!!!!   :confused:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Wengerd Bowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
I've used bludgeon blunts out of a 62@29" hybred longbow with a 500gr axis arrow on snowshoe hares with great results.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
What the heck is a nutter? I asked this once before but had no response   :banghead:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
Stone, it is just a cheap arrow usually made from a dowel and ya put a big old nut on the end. I like wing nuts as ya can take them to the grinder and sharpen them up. Ya can usually make a nutter for around $1.00 or so including feathers and a nut.Ramin dowels are some of the best as the are tough as nails. I watched Curt(Guru) shoot one into a steel plate form a 62# bow several times before it busted. Shawn
Shawn

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »
Chuck... ain't none of them 100%. I've lost some to about every head you can shoot, but blunts and especially HTM's have been as consistant as anything I've used... killed a bunch with steel blunts, a few with broadheads and absolutely will not use a field point on any game except maybe frogs.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »
Are you hunting cottontails or big hares? If you're hunting big hares and can't get real close, I don't think big rubber blunts should be used. Cottontails are a different story.

I've used nutters, broadheads, hex heads, plain steel blunts, judos, and big rubber blunts. Where I hunt is also covered with lava rocks.

For cottontails, the big rubber blunts are my favorite. For one thing, your arrow is more likely to survive if/when you hit one of those rocks. I generally limit my shots to sitting head shots in a range where I feel confident that I can fairly consistently hit a lemon-sized target. I never aim for the body. A head shot with one of those big rubber blunts is almost always an instant kill.

My second favorite are nutters. However, if you hit anything hard, the nut always comes off it seems, and usually you can't find it. So I cut the arrows a little long, and carry a baggie of nuts in my pocket to replace ones that break off.
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
I'm in the Charlie Lamb boat I guess.  I've killed countless rabbits, including hares & jacks in Montana with HTM's.  I've also shot thru some with broadheads that got away down a hole and I'm sure that's going to happen with any head you shoot from time to time.

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »
Ooooo you should try the TARANTULA head that manny (northshorelongbow) came up with.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
I look at an arrow for rabbits and squirrels as a "restraining device".  If you keep the arrow with them chances are you will make a prompt recovery.  I prefer glue-on style field points with an extra big wad of glue that has ouzzed out the back to help keep the arrow "attached".

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »
large HTM rubber blunts for hares goes together like bows and arrows!!!!

That combination you are using is awesome on birds too!!!  Without that point behind it for some reason it really stinks on birds but works great still on hares.  I prefer to head shoot them anyways.   CRACK!!!   If youd o body shoot one you'll still gettem.    Best shot ever wsa on a hare, 25 yards hell bent for cuba, rubber blunt bowled him right over.

Offline BowBrain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
I'v used broadheads, HTM's, .38 shell casings, judos, hex heads and other types of blunts.  You need a head or chest shot to put them down quickly.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
Th problem with these big rubber blunts is that they  are likley to give a low percentage recovery on many marginal hits.  I have recovered both rabbits and squirells hit in the foot and other fringe areas by using my method and attempting to keep the arrow with the critter.  ANY point will work on a good hit.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
That might be true, guess ya gotta figure in shooting the "heavier" bows I normally shoot, even my older lower performing straight limb bows have done extremely well with rubber blunts and hares!!!  I always shot for the head and it was pretty rare that I hit them anywhere else.  Though when I did they died just the same!!!!

The wrecking ball might even be better, like it is for grouse.  Try a regular HTM on grouse and you're liable to loose more then just a few.  Try the wrecking ball on grouse and you'll be hard pressed to loose any!  38 case with the rim filed down to accept the large htm over it.    There is an extreme notible difference between the two!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©