3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: D shaped longbow without hand shock?  (Read 780 times)

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
D shaped longbow without hand shock?
« on: October 07, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
I like the looks of the Hill bows but my shoulder doesn't like the hand shock. Any suggestions on a 66" or 68" longbow that has the D shape when strung but is easier on your shoulder?

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: D shaped longbow without hand shock?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
Try a Miller or Schulz all bamboo / no glass model. Very soft in the hand. I've heard good things said about the Toelke Super D as well.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
I love my osage self-bow.  Not sure what your skill level is but they're not that difficult.  You should try it.  Good luck on your "hunt" for that one bow...

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
"Hand shock" hurts your "shoulder"?
   :confused:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
Have you looked at the hill bug thread. their is a lot of great info there. I shoot a hill tembo "which is my go to bow" and do not notice the hand shock that some others do. The way you grip the bow has alot to do with it.

A low wrist grip and bent bow arm can really help. There are many mild reflex deflex bows that will string up to a d shape. I like the abbott bows but when it's time to make meat I take the hill.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
Liberty Contender is a D shape that has a touch of RD ... wonderful bow by a great bowyer .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline floodman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
Yep I agree Hand shock CAN hurt your shoulder,You never seen waves on a beach or ripples on a pound,shock travel even to your back...That is why I had ti go to plan "B"..R/D

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
I had a Herb Meland NightHawk,mild r/d that braced at a "D". Very sweet shooter,almost hurt to sell it. Funny thing is I've sold off almost all my r/d longbows and recurves to buy Hill style bows.To each his own I guess.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
String-Follow is the best I've shot in the Hill style. I have a Northern Mist Shelton that is a sweet shooter and haven't noticed any 'shock'.

Nate Steele at BamaBows makes straight limbed bows that are shock free too. Nice bows.

I just got a 66" 'SparrowHawk' from Vince at Mohawk Bows. It's a mild R/D that strings up to a D-Shape. Absolutely dead in hand. It's an incredible bow. 5 lams of Boo. It's so smooth it feels 5 pounds lighter than it's actual draw weight. Mines a 2pc. I had it in 4 weeks from the day I ordered it. Vince's work is flawless and the bow is a tack-driver. I was shooting golf-ball sized groups at 13 yards the first shooting session with her. I got Bocote with brown glass, which makes for a beauty of a bow.

I got the Sparrowhawk with a locator grip, but Vince offers a straight grip also. I highly recommend a Mohawk, I think it would be just what you are needing.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check into each of them. I had a torn rotator and even shooting a recurve I could feel it in my shoulder. It's been a year since my surgery and my recovery has been very good. I don't feel anything now when shooting a recurve but I also don't want to over stress it. I just really like the look of that D shape longbow. I'll check them out.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
I know I came off like a smart ass in my first post, but I thought there might be something else going on.

Just be careful with your shooting regime and don't overdue it whichever bow you choose. I'd suggest you also don't push the draw weight end of things.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Toelke Super D is as dead in the hand as any D.  OH, and shoot a heavy arrow
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
I think the problem when handling a Hill bow is to have a natural bow arm, any forced extension will result in a more felt shot. Try a natural bow arm. Raise your arm up to point at something in your line of sight, you don't hyper extend your arm.

As for Hill style bows, If you can find a Shultz Old Favorite, buy it. These bows tend to have some string follow due to the fact they do not have any glass backing. The string follow helps soften then shot. Another bow is a Shrew Hill, with it's tiny tips and wedge grip, there is hardly any felt shock.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
You will find a Toelke Super D to feel more like a slight pulse upon release than the "thump" associated with many of the Hill styles. In addition they are unusually quick and quieter than regular quiet.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Toelke Super "D", Hill Halfbreed string follow, Northern Mist Whisper......also learn to hold this type of bow the correctly, not trying to be a wise guy but it does make a great deal of difference how you hold and what you feel upon release. Heavy arrows from the bows above [that are on my rack] result in just a pleasant thump on release.....
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
No problem Charlie and good advice worth listening to. Thanks to everyone else, also alot of good advice and suggestions.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Maybe something with a little more mass weight would help with a tender shoulder.Not to mention elbow,wrist etc.
Maybe a bow like a 21st Century Edge or Stotler or similar types that have larger risers and still string up in a D shape.Despite a somwhat aggressive limb.
I think a mild R&D like a Great Northern Critter Gitter or Berry Taipan/Appollo/Renassiance might be worth a look.
A heavy arrow can help and a skinny string with wool puffs or even a quiver attached to the bow can tame some felt handshock.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
I've had labral repair done and it is likely torn again.. no issues with Hill style in my bow shoulder.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
Rotor Cuff issues are common in some sports and archery and bowhunting is one.  Signs of RC impingment usually show up when you lift your arm to shoulder level or above.  Any discomfort in the shoulder and joints should be checked out by a doctor and physical therapist. Good luck.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
Most mild r/d models help to some extent. Plus, you should get a little more zip pound for pound, and can get by with a slightly shorter bow, if that makes any difference to you.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©