3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk bow ?  (Read 198 times)

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk bow ?
« on: October 08, 2012, 01:03:00 AM »
I shoot a 50lb longbow. What arrow weight would be best for elk?

Tom
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline twistedlim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk bow ?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 06:22:00 AM »
I am by no means an expert but I used 685 gr with my Toelke Whip 51 lb but did not get a chance to see how well it would work.  I am just thinking at least 600 gr.  Perhaps the elk experts could chime in?

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »
Tom,

It's not as easy as someone telling you what weight arrow to use.  There are several important factors to consider contributing to arrow efficiency/penetration.  In no particular order.

- arrow flight
- broadhead mechanical advantage (MA)
- weight Forward of Center (FoC)
- integrity of total arrow setup (strength/reliability)

Many would suggest a starting point of 10 grains/inch arrow length.  I would suggest 500 to 700 grains depending on your arrow flight et. al., your expectations and your ability to shoot this setup accurately at a range you pre limit yourself to.  Many would argue that placing your arrow exactly where it needs to go is the most importance factor...I would tend to agree, however, this does not diminish the importance of these other factors as well.

There are endless amounts of posts regarding this subject and related topics.  Do a search.

Best of luck in your quest for a “best” elk arrow!

Kris

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
I'm no expert on this either,especially since I'm just getting back into traditional hunting.  I have read the same thing posted above about 10gpi.  I like to run heavy for everything I hunt so I'm sticking with my tried and true aluminum shafts in 2317 which are 13.3gpi and a 145gr Razorhead but I'm also shooting 15-25 more pounds than the bow you listed.  In the past I've always had the best luck shooting the heaviest arrow that still shot well and fairly flat.  My arrow/broadhead combination is just a hair under 700gr.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kris:
Tom,

It's not as easy as someone telling you what weight arrow to use.  There are several important factors to consider contributing to arrow efficiency/penetration.  In no particular order.

- arrow flight
- broadhead mechanical advantage (MA)
- weight Forward of Center (FoC)

Many would suggest a starting point of 10 grains/inch arrow length.  I would suggest anywhere from 500 to 700 grains depending on your arrow flight, your expectations and your ability to shoot this setup accurately and at a range you pre limit yourself to.

There are endless amounts of posts regarding this subject.  Do a search.

Beat of luck!

Kris
Can't say it better than that...I would agree start at 10 gpp (although I have seen less do the job) and place it well and you should be fine.  The last elk I killed was with a 51# bow and my arrows were just a fuzz above 10 gpp
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
I too shoot about a 50 pound bow and use 550 to 600 grain arrows.

I'll be using the same setup for moose next year in Alaska.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline The Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
2 cents. An arrow that you can shoot accurately (while you are shaking lol  :biglaugh:  ) with a razor sharp two or three blade. I got pass-thrus on two elk this year (bull and cow) with 600g arrow tipped with a Zwickey Eskimo out of a 62 lb pronghorn. Around 10 gpp. Good Luck.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
Adam and I both killed Elk with 650 gn Fir arrows shot from 51 and 53# bows. Adam got a double lung shot on his bull with his 53# ACS. My cow succumbed to a heart shot from my 51# ACS.
If I ever draw a moose tag I'll use the same set up.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
I'm running a 575 gr. Arrow about 165 out of a #51 recurve.  If I ever draw an elk tag that's my plan...

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
There is a Hill style shooter here that had a longbow that was 52@26", his draw length. In three years in a row, he got two pass throughs and one that the arrow dangled by the feathers before it came through on elk. His arrows were just 520 grains. I opted for more poundage and a heavier arrow, my draw is the same. However, since talking to the Schulz boys about it, I was under estimating the killing power of 50s# longbows and slim two blade broadheads. The poundage number is just that, a number, a faster bow design with a longer draw length could easily throw a heavier shaft with a larger broadhead flatter than say a Hill style bow with a shorter draw that could be ten pounds heavier. Even though I shoot Hill style bows, I personally like a faster arrow and I have no problems with going to a heavier or faster bow to maintain it when shooting a heavier shaft.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
I shoot near 50# and a 630 grain arrow did the trick 2 years ago... I shot 680 grains this year. Wasn't really trying to make the arrows heavier, just turned out that way after adding cap wraps for visibility, aluminum collars and 1" longer feathers.

With lighter bows (55# and less) the heavier arrows seem to help penetration. That's my $.02.

Good luck!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©