3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Missed another one  (Read 362 times)

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
Missed another one
« on: October 08, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
Well me and dad went out this morning and as you know from the title...I missed again. This time it was a 4 pointer. The shot brings up a question though. I shot a full yard in front of him. I'm no Howard hill but that's impossible for me to miss that badly. I was shooting an arrow that was shooting broadheads well on the ground instead of my normal Eastons. Could it be that arrow that made that big of a nose dive from a tree?

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Missed another one
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
Could have been your heart was beating too fast!  :wavey:   Just kidding sort of...if your broadhead was shooting good from the ground, it will shoot good from the tree.  Have you practiced from an elevated stand?
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
Yeah I've shot off of our shed which is about the same height. . The shot felt absolutely perfect but dadgum a full yard in front of the deer is hard to do.

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
Shooting at a target and a live animal is a one thing. You have to learn to pull everything together.
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 08:47:00 AM »
The thing is I killed two last year no problem. Like I said earlier this shot felt perfect. I was focused and the buch had no idea I was there. My fletching was a bit wet but it was still full bodied when I shot

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Buck fever has struck again! Only way I've found of marginally decreasing its disastrous effects, is by shooting a bunch of does. Even then it only helps the slightest bit, at least until after the shot when I completely fall apart   :biglaugh:
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
Feathers lay down when we shoot and then "fluff" back out a few yards clear of the bow.  If the feathers were wet and the arrow not tuned totally to the bow, they probably didn't "fluff" and the broadhead lead the way.  Like bareshaft shooting with a broadhead.  It can go anywhere.

As an example, I was hunting goats in Washington state a few years ago and found an old arrow in a rock slide.  The feathers were long gone but the broadhead was still there.  I decided to see how far it would go into the canyon off of the steep hill side and shot at about a 45 degree up angle.  The arrow looked like a boomagang and we hit the deck as it made it's way back too us landing about 20 yards away.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
Which direction was in front of him? My guess is, if you are right handed, the shot went left. Your arrows could be on the stiff side to begin with. Then when you shoot down, if you don't bend enough at the waist, your draw will shorten, further stiffening the shaft. Add a little bit of buck fever and the draw could shorten a bit more, adding to the stiffness. Depending on the distance of the shot, those factors could easily put the arrow a yard off target.

On the other hand if the arrow went right, I'd make this guess: you plucked the string a bit coupled with wet feathers and bingo, a yard off again.

Now I'll add one other possibility: didn't pick a spot.

In case you are wondering how I came up with these possible scenarios...well, let's just say I've seen it happen...first hand.   :banghead:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
Wow that interesting about shooting that arrow mike.

Missing just happens.  Its part of this great sport that we all love so much.  If your like me its such a rush to see deer coming in I start shaking all over.  I've just barely missed and I've missed my a over a foot before.  I'm no top level target shooter either but I can hold my own and it just happens.  Don't let it get you down just focus on the next one.

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
Not in front of him left. I mean between me and the deer. And I guess them being wet must have been the cause.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
Could you have glanced off of a tiny limb in the tree? That will throw a shot off badly.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
Nah he was in the wiiiiiiide open. Nothing like a little salt in the wound

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
"I was shooting an arrow that was shooting broadheads well on the ground instead of my normal Eastons. Could it be that arrow that made that big of a nose dive from a tree?"

Don't understand this. Your hunting arrows are different than your practice arrows. Think we have a problem here? Why are the arrows different?
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
When I first started hunting with a traditional bow I missed a few deer in front. For me it was shortdrawing without realizing it. Not sure if this is a possiblity.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
It was the same arrow I practiced with the night before. I was shooting a carbon express arrow instead of my normal traditional onlys. I can group broadheads with these two different shafts. I probably asked a dumb question because I was flustered from the shot.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Matthew Bolton:
Not in front of him left. I mean between me and the deer. And I guess them being wet must have been the cause.
So you shot low?   :confused:  

Could be he was farther away than you thought.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
Nah. I shoot instinctive so I doubt it would have mattered at 15 yards.

Offline nampook93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
I would agree, buck fever has struck.

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
Well I wasn't nervous and I was focused in on the crease of his shoulder. Plus I dont think I could miss a deer by a solid 3-4 feet on my own if I tried HAHA

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
I have had the string hit a bulky, loose sleeve, near the elbow, felt it slightly, but didn't hear it hit (flannel/fleece).  It slows the string/arrow a lot, then drops excessively quick.

Use a tighter sleeve material or extended arm guard w/bulky fabric, or rubber bands placed strategically - maybe open up your stance a little to clear the bow arm.
CoilSpring

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©