3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: An old Hope goes solo...and scores!  (Read 497 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
An old Hope goes solo...and scores!
« on: October 08, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »
Hey a fella comes up with a hanger title every once in a while  :)  

So this tale begins with the first custom, made for me longbow I bought. A lovely Stalker Scout from South Cox a few years back. Like alot of bows I have owned, they come, they do work, they get traded to a friend in a weak moment or a fellow Tradganger when I am bow rich and money poor.

Ever since I let that one go to a fine young fella in bear camp a year ago I have wished for another. I even stalked South's stock page but couldn't find the "right" one. Enter stage left tracker1 (Burton) who had a very special kind of Stalker. He had wanted to move last year's HOPE bow to someone who would hunt with it. I jumped all over the chance to not only own one of South's bows, but the mojo engraved in that bow was priceless to me! I can't think Burton enough for the chance to own her. You see last year as I read all about Hope and her exploits with the guys while I was laid up...Bisch, RC and the guys have some classice hunts here:  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=166;t=000183

I had fell outa a deerstand when a ratchet broke before I could hook up to my harness. So here I was with 2 open fractures of my hands, a broken tailbone, fractured ribs, a bruised lung, and a rupured bowel to which I get ANOTHER surgery in December. My surgeon understands the delay...I gotta hunt till the end of the year  :)

I didn't get to hunt till after the first of the year but had a fine turkey season killing my first two birds with a longbow in April. I finally had the turkey jinx broken. Today proved that further...more to come.
Mike Davenport

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: An old Hope goes solo...and scores!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
Im in for the ride...

,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Ya me too...love that coyote pic!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
I have a little girl that is eat-up with the outdoors. She especially likes to go when we have a pop-up blind. She gets to nap, look at her books, and ask tons of questions when she's there and kinda nows she doesn't have to be quite as still.

Personally I don't like as much as they get a little tight for my wandering soul. I have gone to a ghilli and had some success this spring on an old tom. But when I am with her she gets to call the shots  :)  Saturday it was her turn to go, and we popped up a blind between some bedding cover and an open field. I figured it could work as a dual pupose spot: Some morning deer hunting as well as a great place for birds to come to. We are blessed with a healthy turkey population as well as whitetails!

So the boss lady helped me brush in our blind. She was pulling huge chunks of moss up and throwing them on top to "make it purty". I did my best to encourage her, too. After about an hour sit she wanted to bail so I walked her back to the house (a 1/2 mile for me is short. For a little blonde, curious girl it is  FOREVER). After getting her ordered bowl of soup and passing the baton to mom, I headed back to our spot. Here's our setup:

So before I got back to the blind I heard birds. Sounded like they were sorting out the flock something fierce. Fighting purrs, gobbles and squawks of all sorts were lighting up the woods. I barely made it to the blind before I could see birds out in the field. Looked to be about 50 hens and 10 jakes/toms. Soon as my butt hit the stool I let out a few cackles and kee-kee calls. Instantly I had answers and bunch of birds walked right into the blind window.

I had trouble picking one out. It was a fluid movement of birds jumping on one another and calling. Finally one of the small hens paused and I let out a little purr from my mouth. Sight picture, draw, thump! The 700 grain Wilderness Custom doug fir hit her perfect. She flopped 2 more times and that was it. I had other targets and another tag but let them go. I had dinner and for a lucky man like me, that was enough on this day.

It is amazing what this great 'ol Ace Super Express did. This is my third turkey with this same head. As we speak it is sharp again ready to find a whitetail. After thanking God for the time to do this and the recovery from my little ordeal a year ago I flung the bird over my shoulder and headed for home. I knew my kids would be pumped and my wife happy 'cause I was cooking. There was still plenty of daylight left for a deer hunt but when you are blessed you are blessed. Took my bird and soaked up the experience with my clan.

Thanks for reading and good luck this fall. I am back in trees again but wear a lifeline 100% of the time. I could have missed this hunt and many more to come as well as setting up my blind with my future huntress.   :campfire:  

*One more for the road.

Mike Davenport

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
Sweet!! Congrats and glad to hear the recovery is going so well.
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
Awesome, no other words, just awesome.  I am not talking about the bird, bow or head.  I am talking about your attitude and that you know where the blessing comes from.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
No such thing as luck when you carry an attitude like that.  Just plain ole' good karma.  Congrats.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
Fantastic!!!  Good luck on the continued recovery.  You certainly have a lot to get better for!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
Good shootin Mike!!!

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
Way to go, My seven year old Daughter is also ate up with the outdoors.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
Great job Mike!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
Way to go sir!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  You have the best kind of hunting buddy!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
Very Cool... thanks for sharing your hunt...and congratulations on the great hunting partner..!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
Very good, congrats  :thumbsup:
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline H-MANEOD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
Great hunting!  Also, noticed your t-shirt...GO CARDS!  I was raised in southern Illinois but since I joined the military (1989) and retired (2009) here in Florida I've missed St. Louis sports, hunting southern Illinois and everything about the area.
Kurt Heitman
Retired USAF EOD 1989-2009
MADDOG
FEDORA

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
Hunting with that bow last December had me the closest I have been in a LOOOOONG time to buying  non-Sarrels bow. I had a blast with her and she is a fine shooter for sure. I'm still kicking myself for not buying her in the auction!

Glad you are doing better and recovering well!

Congrats on the thunder chicken too!

Bisch

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
Way to go brutha! You're making sure that bird jinx never raises its ugly head again  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
Good stuff Mike.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
Great story Mike and glad you're doing well. Thanks for the pics, post, and reminder to be safe and wear your safety harness. Have a great and safe season. Congrats on a fine bird!  :thumbsup:
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©