3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How far do you take it when you build a ground blinde.  (Read 460 times)

Offline nampook93

• Trad Bowhunter
How far do you take it when you build a ground blinde.
« on: October 08, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
I have talked to some friends about building a ground blinde and we got on the discution of how we build them an what they look like. I build them so I have cover from behind and and cover in front. An my friends said that they have build some with a roof on top an walls all the way around. What do you guys do to build a ground blinde?

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How far do you take it when you build a ground blinde.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
The best ground blind I ever built was made out of hay bales. Kinda got the idea from one of the 3 little pigs. Any how, it had 2 bales on each side with one bale to sit on. 9 bales total. The bale I sat on was covered by one of the bales that went on the wall. I would enter the blind and take the bale off the bale I used as a seat. The seat was always dry and the blind was toasty warm. I also had brush behind me to break up the outline. And it helped to put sticks and branches in the strings of the bales.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
Never thought of hay bails.
That's an awesome idea. Thanks for that!

......Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
I had a guy I knew who did that same hay bale thing but put it right on the hay wagon on his place. He would move his "ground" blind to where ever the deer seemed to like it in the spot he had....he could even change field edges across the farm. I like to build them in or into blow downs. Sometimes you can use the blow down as the front, sometimes it's the back. Just make sure you have more than one spot to shoot from. I like a couple of "windows".
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline JO_EZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
My favorites are patches of grass, weeds or stickers in front of bushes. I take my pruners and clip out a little spot in the seam and sit so I can just see heads bobing above the weeds. If I have a gap so that I don't have to stand to shoot, that is even better. Less is more. Although, I am learning to make them wide enough to lay the bow across my lap and have it not touch anything.
I started shooting a longbow because I thought it would simplify things and it did... now I simply need to get a whole lot closer to hit anything.

Work'n when I have to, fish'n when I can...

Offline Tony Chinn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
My buddy Richie Mason on facebook bulids round hay bale blinds, they work awesome.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
Built one today that I'll use next week I hope...I generally just take some saplings or brush and pile it up and tie it together with zip ties . I sit against a wide tree so my silhouette doesn't show and above all I sit still. Making it too big draws attention from deer and other hunters..Mostly I rely on sitting in shadows and being very still

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
Good bush or a tree behind me and just enough cover in front so as to not get in the way of the shot. I don't really build one just find one made by nature.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
I might move a dead branch or two but thats about it. Usually just a large tree or blow down.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Tomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
What Ron W.said, anything more elaborate should be built in the spring.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
What Bjorn and Rob W. said! And amen on the "sit still" Pointer. That's the ticket. It is amazing how close a deer will come if you remain still. I had 3 does walk 20 yards from me while I was freshening up a scrape wearing a hunters orange vest on public land standing up in a dry slough.I was amazed.Breaking your silouette with something behind you is in my opinion more important than frontal cover if you can't find both in the spot you want to hunt.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
I like blowdowns. Then I pile up extra stuff to provide a good screen. I think whatever is behind you plays a very major role in keeping your outline from being clear. I don't like roofs. I always hit them with my bow. I agree with the "be still" guys.
Sam

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
I pulled up my "Antelope blind build-a-long" thread for you. This will work great for deer as well.

I like a blind with a roof, and dark inside to hide movement, and keep the burning sun, and or rain off me.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
You never can be too hid when making a blind.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
I like solid cover behind me and lots in front of me low.  A couple of high spots up front to hide behind are nice as long as they don't get in the way of shooting.  Front cover should be far enuf out that the arrow doesn't get in it.  Here are a couple pics of one blind.  You can see the bow hanging and the red spot just to the left of the bow is my DB seat's back.

Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
I built one of Shedrocks lope blinds on the edge of my food plot and the deer don't seem to mind it a bit. Haven't hunted it yet but looking forward to it.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 07:47:00 AM »
I try to make mine as natural as possible and 3 dimensional! Up here in Northern Mi there are a lot of downfall trees that are the start of a good ground blind! The large Junipers work real well if can get in the center one near a deer trail, my current blind is in a stand of Junipers below a white pine tree!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
This is a semi-pit blind. I sit on the edge of the hole. Lots of dead-fall behind me, I brush up the front once in awhile with oak branches. I use oak because they hold thier leaves all season.

"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
I don't do much, and I try to avoid fresh branches and stirring up the dirt.  Deer are attracted to both and will come check them out.  And there is no way you can draw when the deer is only 2 feet away.  And they always catch your scent then.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
I can tell that Roger has done this ground blind thing before.  His semi-pit can be a great option.  Dig a hole for your feet and sit on the edge.  Really lowers your profile and makes it easy to blend in.  Just watch your lower limb.  Oak branches cut in late summer will hold their leaves for a couple years of more - you can't hardly pull them off.  Other trees will lose their leaves shortly after being cut.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©