3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for you Axis shooters  (Read 198 times)

Offline D.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for you Axis shooters
« on: October 08, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
Do you find spine to be consistent with other manufactures when you switched?

I ask cause I'm looking at going with the Axis for additional weight. Currently shooting GT 5575 with a .400 spine. Any input from you folks would be appreciated.

Donnie

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for you Axis shooters
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
The static spine will be the same but the dynamic spine will be alittle different due to the different shaft diameters.The Beman MFX has a slightly higher GPI then the Axis.The heaviest is the Beman MFX Classic woodgrain.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Mine do, been using them a while and they are my hands down favotite. I also have some gold tips and all my bows tuned with the same spine regardless of brand. If anything, they may act very slightly stiffer due to the small diameter.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
I don't know about the axis shafts but I can tell you a little something about GT shafts. I recently got a spine tester and WOW, was that an eye opener. I have been shooting GT XT Hunter shafts for a long time (and still do). I had them tuned perfectly and shooting bullet holes through paper. One day I shot through the paper and they were showing a bit stiff. I just wrote this off as me possibly having increased my DL a bit or something.

I had 3 dozen BRAND NEW shafts that I decided to put on the spine tester and I was very surprised. The stiffest one was .342 and the weakest one was .371. That in itself semed like a large variance to me but the biggest surprise I got was that not a one of them was even close to .400 like was printed on the shaft. I now think that i was shooting the same but the newer arrows I was now shooting were stiffer than the ones that I had originally tuned with.

It was an eye opener.

Bisch

Offline Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
all the axis I ever had between several different generations/batches(15 dz) have all been consistant to about 1/2# on my spine tester so in my book pretty darn consistant..worse I had was the goldtips in the early years..CE pretty consistant as well as all my Bemans
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline D.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
Really looking to go with the 400s as that is what is supposed to match up to the GT. Just need a little more confidence that I can tune the Axis with the same field point / broadhead set up.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »
If you have an arrow cut off saw just leave the new Axis shafts long and trim them back until you get good bare shaft flight with the field tip and broadhead you like.  

I have several dozen of the Axis and Beman MFX shafts and while I can't comment on how close a match they are to GTs, I will say they both make a very nice arrow.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
One of the reasons I switched to Axis/Beman skinny shafts was that other manufacturers would change their specs each year. So finding  the same arrow for my bow was not always a given. But Easton is very good about most of their shafts and when they get a good one you can usually count on them being around a while and getting accessories for them is usually no big deal. I am very pleased with them and they perform well in the woods.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
I had 3 dozen BRAND NEW shafts that I decided to put on the spine tester and I was very surprised. The stiffest one was .342 and the weakest one was .371. That in itself semed like a large variance to me but the biggest surprise I got was that not a one of them was even close to .400 like was printed on the shaft.

It was an eye opener.

Bisch [/QB]
Rod Kelley here in the Flathead (Mountaintop Trad Arrows) told me that this is the issue with ALL carbons.  He said he made some calls and did some digging and the industry all agreed to measure spine on carbons at 28" instead of 26".

He now has a spine tester that is setup at 28" and he says that puts all carbons out there right close to where their published spine is.

I've bought a lot of GT shafts from the old boy, and I always check them for spine.  I've not found any variance in them.  Not like you describe...  I do find that interesting...

And lastly...  On a Silvertip, cut 3/16ths past center, the MFXs are just slightly inboard of center with my shelf rest.  They don't shoot too good that way.  I stuck with GTs

Offline D.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
And lastly... On a Silvertip, cut 3/16ths past center, the MFXs are just slightly inboard of center with my shelf rest. They don't shoot too good that way. I stuck with GTs

Anyone else experience this shooting bows with shelves cut past center?

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
I could use a thicker rest and noodle the MFXs a little more.  But the GTs are working, so I don't bother.

You can always go thicker  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©