3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pheasant arrow.....  (Read 399 times)

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Pheasant arrow.....
« on: October 08, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
Whats everyone using for an arrow set-up to shoot pheasants out of the air?????   :archer2:

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pheasant arrow.....
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
Going to try this year also, I''ll be using a 2020 3 fluflu fletch with a Magnus broadhead
Lucas Kent

Offline DuffyRP

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
I would use a broadhead and everyone will say that's great but they want dog friendly and I can understand that also so round the tips and grind the sharp edges flat.  Dog friendly and will still take down a bird fast.  You can also use a regular field point.  Avoid snaro heads,  blunts, and ace hex heads I had many of them bounce off.  If you can keep the arrow in the bird instead of passing through it will bring them down faster.  You might want to check out Clark Broadheads they are a sponser here and sell specialty heads for pheasents and other critters. depending on what head set up you use you may not need flu flu's test a few set up's first.
United Bowhunters of Illinois
Traditional Archery Society
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
I got mine using just a field point on a flu-flu arrow. The owner of the dogs would not let us use broadheads. A buddy of mine got his with a small snaro bird point. I really think a broadhead would be the best and most effective but i can also see dog owners not wanting a broadhead sticking out when their high dollar dog goes to retrieve the bird.

Bisch

Offline subsonic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 07:02:00 AM »
We used Flu Flu arrows and dull broadheads.  Seemed to work well.
Casse Couilles!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 07:27:00 AM »
I am not using a broadhead around bird dogs.  Tried lots of stuff...best I found is a field point with a Zwickey Scorpio behind it.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
I've killed a bunch with 4"x 4 fletch untrimmed and a two blade broadhead up front. Never had an arrow not pass through or a bird that didn't drop like a rock.
Of course you have to consider the welfare of the dog and the feelings of his owner, but I believe it's a non issue.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.....Im thinking maybe Ill use the broadhead simply for its size, width and shape....maybe a STOS as the back of the blades could act somewhat like a barb, compared to a field point.....and just make sure it IS NOT SHARP AND NOT TOO POINTED....this would not bother the dog any more than a field point Im guessing....Ill run it buy my bud with the dog first of course.
Mr. Lamb,  Im using 4 5inchers and opted to trim them just a tad....accuracy is right on now and sound isnt too bad but before I trimmmed,  man....they were like heat seeking missles with an air raid siren attached to the back of em'!  :laughing:   Is that normal and suitable for shooting birds out of the air?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 09:38:00 AM »
We used Bheads around dogs all 3 times I went...but they were ground flat an point clipped back.  Our guides had no problem with them, on all 3 different hunts we went on...  

We've tried several things and several heads and mostly stuff we modified.

Check out Clark's Broadheads, they are a Sponsor here and make some heads like we tried.  He became a sponsor just after out last hunt or I would have used some of his stuff.  He makes a lot of unique items he does...

There's some pics of the heads we used in these threads...

St Jude Pheasant Hunt 2012

Another Pheasant Hunt 2011    

Our 1st Hunt
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
Thanks for digging up those threads Mr. Green,  AWESOME!   Man,  some of those points resemble mid-evil torture tools!   :eek:    Im looking forward to gettin' after these ring-necks in a few days and my buddy has a great dog so Im optomistic!  :bigsmyl:

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
don't worry about arrow speed or noise. not a problem
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »
I like either spiral fletch or 4 fletch untrimmed on my woodies with Ace Hex Heads (aka - bunny busters) They will not harm your dogs, and have excellent shocking/knockdown power.  Going to SD in two weeks - Can't wait!
South Dakotians - get ready for your property values to drop!  Ha!
TommyBoy

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
I use regular three fletched parallel cedars with free Hi-Precision broadheads. Since I don't hunt with a dog and most of my pheasants are shot while heading out to where I hunt deer and turkeys, they are sharpened, at least as sharp as a file can get them.

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
If any part of the arrow remains in the bird, call the dog off of retrieve. Dog may be able to pick up bird, but while running back arrow can hit something and send it through dog. I just use a field point, but if arrow still in bird then think dog safety--love dog too much to have something bad happen.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
I'm not a pheasant hunter but what do you guys think of Red Feather Archery's Talon head for pheasants? It looks like it would be fairly safe to use with dogs.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
12 ga with #8 shot is my go to pheasant arrow.    :laughing:  

seriously, you guys that can bring a bird out of the air with a bow are incredible.  And not just because you look good doing it.    :eek:

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
I was thinking about pheasant yesterday.....

Looking forward to this again...

And yes, no hunt or pheasant is worth an injured dog. Call them off a retrieve if an arrow is still in.

You guys have me itching.

My advice is use a dulled and bob-pointed broadhead. I've seen washer backed field points bounce off with solid hits. On the one I remember the bird had a broken wing though.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by JimB:
I'm not a pheasant hunter but what do you guys think of Red Feather Archery's Talon head for pheasants? It looks like it would be fairly safe to use with dogs.
I think pheasants are incredibly tough.  I have bounced Judos and Hexheads off them, a big snaro head is pretty useless from what I have seen.  Ideally you should use a broadhead, but I could not live with myself if I hurt the dog we were using.  That Talon looks like a VERY good candidate...I would just make sure it was dull.  I may just have to order some to actually see and touch them in person    :thumbsup:

Good eye Jim.

Offline hardin barbed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
I've killed a pheasant in flight all I used was a wooden shaft 23/64 and a 38 special spent casing on the end for a blunt. Blew through it no problem.Safe for dogs also.
The best sermons are lived ,not preached.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
It's been a while, but great memories...and they are tough as nails. I've seen them fly a loooong way with a blunt through them.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©