3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Beginner advice  (Read 237 times)

Offline Jdaigle33

• Trad Bowhunter
Beginner advice
« on: October 09, 2012, 01:37:00 AM »
Hey guys this is my first post on here and I just wanted to say that I have been lurking around and have thouroghly enjoyed the forum so far. I am looking to get into archery and I love historical weapons so I figured I would go with traditional archery. I have my mind set on a longbow but not sure what poundage and brand I should get since I am a beginner. I would like to use the bow to hunt when I feel confinedent enough with my accuracy and consistency with it. Any recomendations?
Thanks for all the help guys.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Beginner advice
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 01:52:00 AM »
Lots of bow on the classifieds. I would say anything 45 to 55 to start with depending on your strength and background of any archery. Hope this helps.
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 01:55:00 AM »
I would suggest you start out with a fairly light weight that is stll pretty hard hitting like about 45#. Your draw will dictate how much weight you are really shooting. Usually 28" draw will get you in the ball park. As far as what kind of longbow that is hard to tell you since there are so many good ones out there. Go to the classified section on this site and look at the pics of different bows and get an idea of what you are looking for in a bow. Ask anyone about their bow they have for sale and you will get an honest answer from the people on this site. Good luck and I am sure you'll get some more responses.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 02:33:00 AM »
If you have never shot any sort of archery, I would suggest going to a local pro shop, or archery shoot and talk to some people who have done this for awhile. Hands on experience will be of great help when you buy your first bow. And you'll likely upgrade over time as your form gets better and your archery muscles get tuned. 45lbs might sound wimpy, but that's actually a fairly heavy draw weight for a beginner with no archery background. Try to find someone to help show you how to shoot. Some people are naturals and take to it quickly, but if you're like me, it will take loads of time and practice to become even remotely consistent and accurate, especially if you're trying to teach yourself. Good luck on your journey, and welcome to the gang. This place is a wealth of knowledge. Read, read, read! Then grab a stick and string and practice, practice, practice. A fair warning though, traditional archery is highly addictive and fun! Your life will never be the same. Lol
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Jdaigle33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 02:53:00 AM »
Thanks guys for the quick replys. I will go check out the classifieds and hopefully will pick up a bow!

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 05:47:00 AM »
Welcome and don't be shy about asking questions. I'll also point out the search feature on here is great help as well. Good luck and have fun.
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
Welcome from Kentucky!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 08:09:00 AM »
Welcome to the club!  Be careful not to overbow yourself on the first one (there will be more...    ;)  ).  It's certainly not impossible to learn on a hunting weight bow, but the lower you start out the better off you will be.  Most states have a minimum draw weight requirement around 40# for hunting, so keep that in mind.

Ultimately you need to decide if you want the first bow to be one you could hunt with.  If so, don't buy one less than 40#, but I also wouldn't go much over.  If you can swing it, a light starter bow and then a second at a hunting weight is a good way to go.  Keep in mind that stickbows will gain or loose 2#-3# per inch deviation from their marked draw length so keep that in mind if your draw length is longer or shorter than the usual 28#.

Good luck...lots of nice bows in the classifieds.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
Hi there-Hap

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
You could get an inexpensive takedown longbow or recurve and just buy stronger limbs as you get stronger.  I'm a 175 lb guy and I shot 40 lb limbs for 7 months before getting 50 lb limbs.  Also the "bowfit" is a good way to stregthen.  Get a bow that you can shoot a lot every day without getting tired, because we all need to practice.  Welcome and good luck!
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
Welcome to the gang!   :wavey:  
If there are any traditional clubs close by search them out. Lots of good advice above.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Gila Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
Many of us oldtimers began our archery tradition with a "semi-recurve" bow made back in the late-1950s to early-1960s. These bows, with their reflexed limbs, molded grips and sight windows, resemble some of the modern "hybrid" longbows.

In the rush to buy something with exotic woods in the riser and "custom made" written on the limb, many new archers pass over these old bows in the Classifieds. That could be a mistake.

The old Pearson Cougar (just one example) is an excellent first bow. I had one for my first laminated bow and I killed my first deer with it. It had a draw weight of 42#. These show up in the Classifieds occasionally in excellent condition for very reasonable prices. Other manufacturers (Bear, Root, Cravotta, etc) made similar models.

Not as fast as a modern r/d longbow and pretty plain in appearance when compared to tropical hardwoods, but an excellent bow for learning the basics of archery and an acceptable bow for hunting deer and smaller game.

Welcome to TradGang and ...

Good Luck!
Mike
"Hunt ethically and in fair chase. You'll know the feeling when you have done it right!"  .......(Glenn St. Charles, Bows on the Little Delta)

Offline Jdaigle33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Thanks guys I decided to go with a #45 bow from the classifieds. Cant wait to start practicing.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
Welcome!

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
The traditional voice from deep in inside may be the call of your heart.

Just walk this way to the light of the fire.

A place has been reserved for you w/I the eye of the traditional campfire.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
PM sent

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Welcome from Vermont!  I'm still a newbie too, but I'll second what the folks above have said and add that you may (and probably will) be able to find a Tradganger in your area who has a boat load of bows and will be more than happy to meet with you and shoot.  A couple of hours with someone who knows what they are doing will take you further than months of experimenting on your own! just my two cents!  Good Luck
That's why they call it hunting....

No Name 50# at 28" (maybe Ben Pearson)
'69 Bear Grizzly 40# at 28"
Great Plains Wolf Creek  50# at 28" one piece
Fruit of the Loom Size Large

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©