3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The story of Big Lefty  (Read 407 times)

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
The story of Big Lefty
« on: October 09, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
This story begins one November night in 2009 with a trail cam pic.The buck in the pic had just got into a fight with another buck.His right antler was ripped out of his scull and left hanging along his face,his head left bloody and his eye swelled shut....  [/url] [/IMG]
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Offline DayTripper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The story of Big Lefty
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
:coffee:

Offline Jack Ripper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
He bit off more than he could chew. This ones gonna be good.  :campfire:
Gentlemen you can't fight in here, this is the war room.

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
Enjoyed the story of Krypton, this should be another goodun   :campfire:

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
A week late the antler fell off and another week later the swelling went down and you could see he still had his eye.I decided to hunt for this buck because he was just a neat buck.Since archery season was almost over i was going to have to hunt him during gun season,but with my longbow of course.The first time i saw this buck in real life was on the first Friday of the gun season.He was cruising up through the neighbors property heading up onto the ridge to check on the doe's that hung around up there......

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
A few minutes later the doe started busting down off the ridge and you could hear the buck chasing the doe around up there.He never did come down off that ridge that night,so i made plans to be in my ground blind the next morning.I was in the blind a half hour before first light.AT first light i heard deer coming up through the woods from my left.The first deer was a young doe and she trotted past me at 30 yards.I got ready because i knew a buck was trailing her.The buck came trotting up and tried to swing out in front of her and that move put him 20 yards in front of me,broadside.......

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
With the buck standing broadside in front of me in the dim light, i looked him over quickly and he looked like lefty.The longbow came up and the draw was smooth and the arrow was on the way.As i watched the arrow disappear behind his right shoulder i knew i had just killed lefty.As i waited i called my wife back at the house just 100 yards behind me to tell her what happened.She said she would be right out to help me track and drag him back to the house.The blood trail was wide and heavy and only went 80 yards.As i walked up to the buck i discovered........

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
That this buck was not lefty but a big six point that i have trail cam pics of and must of got the right side of his rack broken off at the base just a day or two before.In the dim morning light i judged the buck too quickly,but i was proud to have taken him on the ground and on our land.So with my buck tag filled for the season i continued to hunt does. i never did get a doe or see lefty again in the flesh until two days after the hunting season closed.My wife and i were driving up our driveway one afternoon and there was lefty standing along it not 20 yards into the woods.I stopped the car and we just looked at each other for a minute and a bond was created.I still continued to get pics of lefty through the winter.....

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
As spring came and went lefty began to grow both his antlers.  and he grew and grew and grew.I had him on my trail cam almost every day and night through out the summer.

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
Very Nice! Ready for more :-)
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Thisun's gonna be goooood.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
As the 2010 hunting season come my neighbor and i would both be hunting Big Lefty as we had come to call him.He would hunt him on his land and me on mine.He had a advantage because Big Lefty spent more time on his land,but i had hope.The first day of the early archery season for doe in the middle of September found me in my blind after work.At around five o'clock i heard a noise behind me and it was lefty.I suddenly realized that i could not shoot him,buck season was not closed.He came past my blind at 3 yards and then spent 20 minutes feeding in front of me not 15 yards away.......

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
Ahh Tim, you have my total and undivided attention. Wait, wait.   :coffee:   Okay, I've got my coffee and I'm ready.    :goldtooth:
The brotherhood of man is taken too lightly. The brotherhood of the bow is not. --- Craig Stocker

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
All i could do is watch him walk away as it got dark.I hunted him for the rest of October and on the last Friday in October i began to slip back to my ground blind after work.About half way in i see him chasing a doe not 50 yards from my blind and up over the ridge they went.I slipped into my blind and for the next hour i saw three other buck move up onto that ridge to try to get that doe.I pulled my cam card as i left the blind that night to find Big Lefty had been chasing that doe in front of my blind not 15 yards away all afternoon.......

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
You got some great writing skills! I'm tuned in waiting to hear of the demise of Big Lefty.

Bisch

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
I thought my chances to shoot him was getting good now.I hunted the first week of November and never saw him.Then on November 7th i pulled my cam card and found this pic He is standing only 12 yards in front of my blind. This is the best pic i ever got of him and sadly it is also the last pic i ever got of Big Lefty.The special buck i hunted for two seasons just disappeared and no one has ever seen him since.My neighbor and i have never heard of him being killed.I still expect him to show up on my trail cam or show up in front of my blind some day,but in till then he is still alive to me and we had a bond......i miss you big guy! And that Gang is the story of Big Lefty,I hope you all enjoyed it.

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
BRAVO!!!!!

Bisch

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
Some time i will tell the story of the legendary black bear of Pike county Pennsylvania.....we called him SCAR...........

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
Your stories are good! Keep 'em coming!    :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©