3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do I do about deer jumping the string?  (Read 456 times)

Online ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do I do about deer jumping the string?
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
The advise of putting 200 grains on the front and being done with it may not allow you to be done with it.  It may screw up your arrow flight to the point that shooting them are worthless.  You will have to find that out for yourself, first.  I speak this from experience.  It depends on the arrow spine and how it reacts to different broadhead weights.  
Truthfully, if a 45 pound bow shoots completely through a whitetail with a 450 grain arrow then your bow will do the same easily.  If a heavier arrow quiets your bow but doesn't shoot worth a darn then better to have a bit more twang.
Start tuning the heavier arrows in the spring if the ones you are using fly true, IMHO.
If you study hunting footage then nearly all deer start the flinch by the time the arrow reaches them but few move far enough for it not to be a fatal hit if accurately placed to begin with.

Offline longrifle346

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Shoot the rig you have and are already accustomed to, 8-9 gpp is plenty, just don't pull back on an alert deer because as a rule you're wasting energy. Heavy, light, quiet, or loud won't make a bit of difference, they'll jump the string on a wheel bow past 10-15 yards if they're wound up and ready to spring and we ain't pushing near those kinds of speeds....
If you find yourself in a fair fight? Your tactics suck!

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Get closer!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »
Ok, lots of good advice here. But speaking from recent experience, changing your string, silencer material, or weight of your arrows, will change the tune of your set up. So be advised!  You may get lucky after all the changes and maintain your sight picture and accuracy, but that is something you will have to consider. Some bows may be more forgiving than others, but every bow I have tuned has changed which arrow set up it likes after changes. So do whatever you think may be necessary, but don't be surprised if your broadheads don't fly the same. My advice would be that if you have to make changes, start from the beginning. If you change your string, it'll need time to stretch and settle. Then new silencers will need the same. Once that part is good, start with the bare shaft tuning of heavier arrows. When your bare shafts hit with your fletched shafts, you should be ready for broadheads. At the very least you will need a week from the time you get your new string on, probably two. Then you will need to practice to know if your sight picture has changed, and by how much.  Good luck, and let us know what happens. Perhaps aiming a little lower would be best for the remainder of this season.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 01:18:00 AM »
Just one more piece(s) of advice.  A skinny striing can change yur tuning, noot likely if you are already shooting a ff string, unless you are close to being out of tune already, which unlless yoour release is perfec every single time, you would know shoting a 7.6 gpp arrow.  If it does, you already got the orginal, so you can always change back.

Swiching to the heavier head may change your spine, but I doubt it.  Carbons juust shoot anything most of the time if yu have the proper trim for your setup.  Being you are long drawed, your shaft is likely spined in the 55-75 range to get it long enough to be able to pull.  So once again, a heavier head can't hurt because it will be much more likely not to change your spine versus doing so because they have that designation for a reason.  They are very tolerant and accurate to designation when left 28 inches or longer.

But once again, if not, you can always go back to the heads you have use the new ones next year because one thing for certain, if you change nothiing but one thing, it beter be to get a heavier arrow.  And head weight, weight tubes, or inserts are required in almost all carbon setups to reach desired weights,  No loss possible.

String stretch could be an issue if you buy the wrong string.  It won't be if you buy the one preconditioned and made of thhe best material no to.  5 minutes of form work should settle a properly made and conditioned string.  At least in my expierence.  No loss.  It is the best investment anyone could make to quieten a bow. No stretch equals no noise or vibration.  Win, Win for you in all categories.

The silencers, I am not sure how to respond to that because I have never gave it a thought and thank the Lord I have never had to.  As far as he 2 week claim, it could be correct.  Depends on your striing material now.  But goodness, if it don't work just put the old stuff back in action.  No time lost.

Sight pic?  I shoot 7-11 gpp arrows at hunting ranges routinely.  The only impact difference between the two is 0-10 yards and beyond 40.  The first is going to be an inch or so with the heavier arrow hitting higher at karate range, the second might show a lite more drop off with the heavier arrow but, lets face it, a few minutes of shooting will reprogram everything need be to offset either of these extremes.

But more than anything, you got the old stuff, just chage it back until after season if it doesn't work.  What is too lose?  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
Get a way heavier arrow and/or a much quieter bow and don't shoot at alarmed deer. Pass on those shots. Try a selfbow if you want an uber quiet bow.
Silence is golden.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
Try to heart shoot them all. If they duck you get a double lunger.RC

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
I can't remember the last deer I shot that was standing. A walking deer doesn't jump the string.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
I'm a new guy, but I got my 50# Sage really quiet with wool yarn puff balls.  16 wraps around 3 fingers, slide it through your string, cut the loops open.  I have 2 puffs on my limb pockets and 2 more 12 inches from end.  4 puff balls total on the string.  I shoot light arrows too and my bow just whispers now.   You can do more wraps or more fingers if you want bigger puffs I guess.  Good luck.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
In 17 years of hunting with a recurve I've possibly had one doe duck my arrow. I also might have shot over her too. Who really knows. My arrows have never been lighter then 560 grains. I've always thought my bow was super quiet. Much quieter then the compounds are that's for sure. I think more people miss their spot or are shooting at alert animals.

Things change though when you get down to the southern part of the US and hunt Couse Deer. Them suckers will jump your string almost every time. Best of luck In figuring out your Issue or problem.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©