3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Caught with my pants down  (Read 253 times)

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Caught with my pants down
« on: October 10, 2012, 12:37:00 AM »
So to speak. Lol. This is my first season hunting trad. I've been a gun hunter as long as its been legal for me, and a compound hunter for almost as long.  I've always had the desire to try traditional, and about a year and half ago, I finally borrowed an old beat up recurve from a buddy. I was terrible, but couldn't seem to stop shooting it. Then in January, I got serious and went to the trad expo in Kalamazoo, MI. I got my first long bow, and haven't looked back. Trad has been a huge part of my life for the last year, and I strive to keep improving. I have since acquired a few more bows, and dropped some serious coin in the process of my traditional adventure. I still have much work to do, but I have become confident enough to hit the woods.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Caught with my pants down
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 12:49:00 AM »
So on to the story. The weather here in northern Michigan has left a little to be desired when it comes to hunting. At least the few days that I've been able to get out. Last Saturday was one of those days. Rain one minute, sun the next, then wind and hail the next. All day followed this pattern. The deer were moving, but every place I went, the wind was swirling and would not allow a descent set up for a 15-20 yard shot. The property I was hunting borders a 40 acre corn field that had been recently picked. In the late afternoon, the weather had finally calmed a bit, and I was able to find a nice hiding place where the wind was right and offered a shot to two converging trails, well within my comfort zone. I checked one other spot, and headed back to the truck for a quick sandwich and to grab my stool.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 01:00:00 AM »
I headed back into the woods, hopeful the wind would stay consistent, as it had not been all day. When I got sat down on my stool, I felt too high above my cover and exposed. Worried that I would not be able to get a shot I started looking for a different place a little more hidden. About 10 ft away, there were a group of three maples growing from the same stump, with a log wedged in between that I could sit on. I walked over and sat down thinking I had a good back drop, but minimal cover in front of me. Just as I was about to get up, I could see ears coming through the brush! I quickly looked over to see my quiver full of arrows 8-10 ft away with no way to get there undetected. I sat motionless and watched as one of the biggest does I have ever seen came down the trail with two very healthy fawns.

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 01:06:00 AM »
Been there, I think it happens more they we like to talk about.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 01:08:00 AM »
Been there too!  Also took my sweet time getting gear into tree stand until everything was in perfect order.  Bow and quiver were still attached to the hoist line ready to be pulled up when a nice fat doe walked in.  I sat and watched her walk off, too.  No LOL at the time.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »
So there I sat, in the moment I have been dreaming about for months, with no arrow and nothing I can do but watch and learn, and enjoy gods beautiful creation. To make my suffering  (and enjoyment) worse, she followed the script perfectly. She walked down to 15 yards, stopped, and stared in the complete opposite direction with her fawns still out of view! To pour a little more salt in the wound, she stepped up to about 12 yards and did the same thing! Man I love this stuff, and I'm such an idiot for not grabbing an arrow! This went on for a good ten minutes, then she continued on down the trail and out of my life. At least for another week! Lol. Sunday was almost as exciting as Saturday, maybe more, because I had an arrow. Lol. But I got busted. A different doe at a different spot smelled my tracks, then spotted me and worked down wind. She got to about 7 yards at one point. Then I knew now or never as she was getting close to winding me. I had been keeping an eye on her fawn until then. I had I small hole for a quick 12 yard shot but as soon I started to raise me bow, junior busted me and took mom with him. My heart has never beat so HARD!  Despite the weather, and the minimal time I've had to get out, it's been a great start to the season!

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 02:04:00 AM »
OK, there's one argument for a bow quiver!   :rolleyes:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 07:07:00 AM »
One of my Uncles used the "caught wth my pants down" excuse, literally. He blames his pants being around his ankles, while answering natures call, as the reason he missed a couple of shots(rifle) at some deer back in the day. See, you should practice for any possibility. ;^)

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
A couple of years ago I met a buddy to go hunting on his family farm 60 miles away. He drove and when we arrived at the farm I realized my GFA quiver was back in my truck. I went out and saw anyway and saw a good buck a 17 yards    :banghead:   I went back to a bow quiver soon after.

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
Imagine what you would have seen if you forgot your bow!  :jumper:

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
I have tried a bow quiver, and just could not get used to it. I was the same way with a compound. Never hunted with it still attached to the bow. The safari tuff is a very functional and quiet quiver, when you leave it on your back. Lol. Lesson learned.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
Don't you love it when stuff like that happens. I have learned to just laugh it off and enjoy the experience as it sounds like you did.
James Kerr

Offline bow_man_66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Good story Paul, I can tell you are hooked just as the rest of us are. Good luck with the rest of your season and all your future adventures!!!!
May your arrow always fly true and your hunt be an adventure.

Shoot Straight,

Bow_man66

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
That just means it was not your turn to shoot one yet. You got to have a great experience all the same. When it is your turn, you will have the arrow nocked and ready!

Bisch

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
Keep having fun, it will happen for you.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Great story... thanks for sharing!  This is the stuff that keeps us humble, but also going back out season after season!

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 12:19:00 AM »
Thanks to all for your kind words. It's because of the gang that I have made as much progress as I have, and I continue to learn from you all. Thank you all so very much! For helping me along this difficult and trying and down right fun journey that we call traditional archery. Good luck to all this season and many more to come. May the gods of the hunt smile down and bless each and every one of you.

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 12:35:00 AM »
I feel your pain! Something similar happened to me last year. I was hunting during Indiana's muzzleloader season, which was also late archery season for turkey's. So I packed my Muzzleloader and longbow on the four-wheeler for an afternoon hunt.

Got to where I was gonna hunt and thought to myself, I'll just leave my longbow here because I haven't seen the turkey's ever use this area in the afternoon. Got into my stand and within 30 minutes here THEY come 29 birds....AND NO LONGBOW, (which I could see from the tree I was sitting in). Those birds milled around me for 45 minutes and all I could do was watch and think to myself how silly I was for leaving my bow at the four-wheeler only 60 yards away.  :banghead:  Well played Karma....Well played! Great story, thanks for sharing....(Don't wanna hi-jack your thread, but it just made me think of when it happened to me).
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
Sounds like a classic tale.  You have the right attitude to enjoy what was given and not beat yourself up!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
Amen to "Plant a Tree...."!!!!  :thumbsup:   Good On Ya!!  :clapper:    :clapper:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©