3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: any Zwickey BH fans ?  (Read 924 times)

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: any Zwickey BH fans ?
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
I've probably killed more animals with the Delta's than all other heads combined. I used both the two and four blade, but am beginning to think the hassel of sharpening the two small blades isn't worth the gain. I'm still working on that though. I never have had one fail. I have nothing against the Eskimo, it actually has a stronger tip, its just the straight edge of the Delta is faster to sharpen. Don't forget every animal, up to and including elephants have been killed with Zwickeys, not many heads can say that.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 03:12:00 PM »
I'm with Rick. Killed many animals with a Delta 2 blade. Never had one fail.

The best thing I ever used a Delta for though, is to cut my daughter's umbilical cord back in 95. Home delivery(planned) and the midwife was impressed by the sharpness. Brooke even used that broadhead this year on one of her hunting arrows.
DonD

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
Been shooting 2 blade Zwickey Eskimos since '78. Although I play around with other heads like the 160 gr Snuffer and a few older heads, my "go to" head is the Zwickey.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline bgleghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
Delta 2 blade for over 23 years none better.
Remain close to the Great Spirit.

Online RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
Been using Delta 2 blade since 1977 (I think), about as good as it gets. Once you get them sharp the first time it's a breeze to keep them that way. Never had a tip curl.

Offline BillJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
I've only been hunting trad for a few years, and Zwickeys are all I've used so far.  Not very good at sharpening them, though, so I wish some of the Zwickey proponents would post a how-to on sharpening them!
"Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
I too would like a how-to on sharpening them. No matter what I try I can't seem to get them sharp.
I guess I am just sharpening challenged!!! I even tried the KME sharpener on them and just got a nice polished edge not a razor sharp edge.  :banghead:  Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
I shot my first elk with a Bear BH. It worked fine to kill the elk, but the blade came off the ferrule after hitting bone.  Since then I have used Zwickey Eskimos exclusively and never had one fail.  I once broke an off-side deer humorus bone totally in half and the Eskimo BH still looked new-even the tip.  I sharpen mine with a knife sharpener that holds the angle for me.  One of those that clamps onto the blade and the stone has a rod that goes into a slot keeping the angle consistent.   I can sharpen BHs OK with a file, but with the knife sharpener, I can quickly sharpen several BHs and they are shaving sharp.  I do love my Zwickeys (and the're cheaper than many heads).

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
shot zwickys since I started. It ain't broke, so why fix it?
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
There is a "how to" video on this site somewhere. The good thing is that once you get them sharp they don't take much to keep sharp.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
I use only the Eskimo. Have always been pleased with the performance. They fly perfect and are deadly when they get there.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
First bow deer was with a Zwickey Delta 4 blade back 20+ years ago.  22 yard quartering shot.  Arrow passed 3/4's of the way through the deer length wise and stopped after splitting a 2.5" oak sappling on the exit.  The buck took my shaft with him after tearing the adapter out of the head.  I watch him pile up in mid air, head over heals, while jumping a blow down not 40 yards away.  I rember it like yesterday.  Somewhere, I still have that broadhead imbedded in that oak sappling.  Probably the toughest head I have ever hunted with.  I think I was 13 or 14 years old back then.....

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
A couple of tips that work with any two blade.

file sharpening tips
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
Zwickey specific how to...

Terry Green\\'s Zwickey sharpening how to.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
Thanks Charlie!!!
What kind of file are you guys using, and where can I get one? I would like to try the file method first. If I can't get that down I will try the accusharp method.
Thanks, Bill

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
Deltas here,after several years of eskimos.Neither have let me down as long as I do my part. I do put a tanto point on em after I hit the offside legbone on a buck and rolled the point back,the job was done but I didn't like the rollback!

I like their ad-

Millions have been sold,thousands are stickin in trees around the world!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2007, 11:18:00 PM »
Bill,

I'm convince there is no better file anywhere than a Grobet. 3Rivers has them as does Kustom King... a 6 or 8 inch size is about right for hand filing.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
Thanks Again Charlie!!!

Bill

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
Guys, I have used the Truangle file system for years on my Deltas. It does take a little while initially to set the new bevel, about 10 minutes per head but after that it's only a few strokes for razor sharpness. I did change out the files from mill bastard to flat bastard for more cut. At about the size and weight of a bottled water, it's not bad to carry afield.
DonD

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »
I use the eskimos and delta-depending on which bow I'm carrying. Have used them for a long time and the only curled tips are from pass throughs into a rock-can't fault the head for doing its job.
 Also use the truangle files on new heads but for touch ups the diamond stone and leather strop do a fine job.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©