3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: badger with trad bow?  (Read 392 times)

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: badger with trad bow?
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
I've killed five over the years with a recurve. Mostly in MT. I quit shooting them because I've never killed one with a single arrow. They're tough, die hard and usually leave you with multiple short pieces of arrows bit in half before they're done. I've filmed several of them here in Iowa too that you can see right under my stand in our latest videos. I quit shooting them because they eat turkey eggs and I don't like turkeys messing up my whitetail hunting (sorry turkey guys). By the way, I hear you can pick one up by the tail and he won't bite you.... well a dead one you can. :^)   BW

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
My first badger encounter happened 30+ years ago. I spotted him dash across the dirt road I was traveling and jumped out with Hill bow to give chase.

I was young, fast and agile and closed on him fairly quickly as he dodged through the short sage brush cover.

Hurtling a sage clump on the edge of a small clearing I found the rather irate badger waiting for me.
The chase continued except the tables had turned.
I lost sight of him in my haste to put some distance between us and never saw him again.

:scared:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
Ha, this is good stuff.
David M. Conroy

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
Great pics Charlie,thanks for sharing.I shot 3 killed 1.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
I migth add I graduated from U of Wisc=the Badgers.  I have a soft place in my heart for those hard little dudes
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
I have shot a couple while hunting pronghorns over water. I lip squeeked them right up to the blind.

Yes, you do need a fur harvester license in WY. The season is open year round. Yes, Shirley Basin has lot's of them, I live really close to the basin.

Nice looking quiver YORNOC.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
I killed one many years ago while spring bear hunting in Montana. I carried him back to the car, putting him in the trunk. A couple minutes later, I heard something and opened the trunk to find him laying on the spare tire snarling at me! I grabbed him by the tail, pulled him from the car and finished the job with a big club. I had a nice rug made from him. Still have it. I've seen half a dozen or more shot with arrows. I've never seen one die easily.
  One other good badger story...an old friend caught one alive in Wyoming. Managed to throw it into the trunk of his employer's passenger car. The plan was to give the car keys to an old guy back at the office and have him get a "lunch bucket" from the locked car trunk. Jay got a hundred yards across the prairie when the very pissed off badger clawed its way clean through the back seat of the company car! A big chunk came out of the back seat as well as his paycheck!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 02:40:00 AM »
Don't think I could shoot one now. Got know one of these pups pretty good a few years back. Named him buddy . He would show up when I was on squirrel patrol. Had to keep a close eye on him they are way grazy.

The land owner loved them ,He has a big ground squirrel problem.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
great pics Tim!
David M. Conroy

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
Yornoc - God's speed on your recovery!  I've only come upon one in all my years in the woods.  Back when I was still hunting with a wheel-bow I came across one when I was headed back to my truck at dark-thirty.

Startled me pretty good because the first thing I noticed was its growl!  Then he and I studied each other in a stare off for a few minutes before I finally decided it would be a good idea to leave him alone.

Great looking quiver bud!  Glad to see you are passing on leathercrafting to your young ones!  I'd love a quiver made from one someday.  I have a coon skin in the garage just waiting to be sewn up into a back or side quiver.  Yours inspires me to get it down and get it put together!

Keep in touch and don't get too bored my friend.  Lots of good hunting stories here and other places to take your mind too.  Prayers for your recover offered too.   :)

K.C.  <><
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©