3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best shooting longbows?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
Best shooting longbows?
« on: October 11, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
I realize that the best shooting longbows are the ones that I personally shoot the best

AND YET it seems like some bows have a reputation for shooting tighter groups.  They shoot where you look.  For example, I often see comments that MOHAWK Sparrowhawks and LEON STEWART Slammers are excellent shooting  bows.

What has been your experience?

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best shooting longbows?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
I love my shrew. But I think this is gonna be a good thread regardless!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
Toelke

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
I've owned several different brands/makes, sometimes more than one from the same manufacturer.

I never really had a "bad" shooting bow - recurve or longbow.

I think that it's pretty hard to go wrong these days if you're dealing with a reputable bowyer and/or company.

But, for quite a few years now I have been shooting Caribow longbows exclusively and really, really like them.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
In my opinion, Jim Reynolds' Thunder Sticks are underrated and one of the smoothest drawing, best shooting longbows out there.

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
JK Traditions Kanati is my pick for a forward handle longbow, shoots to the spot well, points great and is as flat shooting as recurves I have owned at a heavier weight. Not to mention, it seems to want to shoot anything from a drink straw to a broom handle, very spine tolerant. Not sure if you asking about any paticular style, but for a blind, treestand or tight quartered spot in the woods, my choice hands down !!!!

Froggy
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline bow_man_66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Centaur, for me the best shooting longbow I have shot. RER Vortex II and Hoots a close second but love my Centaur. Jim builds a fabulous bow!!!! Allot of good bows out there though, can't say I have shot many that I didn't like something about them.
May your arrow always fly true and your hunt be an adventure.

Shoot Straight,

Bow_man66

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
There are many good shooting longbows. For instance, I have Shrews, Morrisons, Brackenburys (Non-Typicals), a Holm-Made, a Troy Breeding, a Big Jim and an A&H ACS that all shoot exceptionally well. And I'm probably forgetting some others I own. I have a couple that shoot accurately but have handshock I don't like, so I won't mention those by name. For most of my hunting I seem to pick up a Shrew because they shoot and feel great and have the best combination of compromises of any hunting bows I have shot. But that's just me, and everyone needs to find what is best for himself as a unique individual.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
I really believe that the actual bow itself and it's shooting characteristics are very much secondary to the grip and comfortable draw weight.  Take the same bow and make it too heavy, or alter the grip so it's less consistent for you and you've got a whole other animal.
That said, the Toelke Whip is the first one piece longbow that I actually prefer shooting without a bow quiver, and have never enjoyed better consistency and accuracy.  (Then again it might be it's really great grip!)
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
I have really fallen in love with my striker stinger takedown. I almost sold it right after getting it and am sure glad I did not. Have not shot any of the mentioned above.

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
For me it is my Dwyer Dauntless and Endeavor.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
The Stotler gave me tightest groups I have ever shot with a longbow, one made by Mike Ballenger that was 68" long and more reversed, or something like that, than his current models matched it.  I still cannot believe that I gave both bows away.  I guess I was afraid that the recipients would think that I shorted them if I did not give them the best bows that I could that matched them.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
For me, it is my 3 piece Tall Tines.  I have gone thru over a dozen from low end to the top, and I have found the best shooting Longbow to be my Tall Tines.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
I haven't shot many longbows so my opinion isn't worth much but from the ones I have owned my top three are Zippers, Centaurs and my Thunderhorn. In no particular order.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Joshua Long

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
Every night I ask the same thing.  I have a Toelke Super-D, a NM Baraga, and Mohawks. I was hoping to find a favorite and stick with it.  I will say I am slightly more consistent with the Toelke, but only slightly.  

I do believe though that with time one can become a good shot with almost any longbow out there.  You just need to shoot alot and tinker.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
For me it is the Caribow Peregrine, a hybrid longbow. I prefer it over a Centauer, Black widow PL, ACS, or a Whippenstick (though the Phoenix is the best shooting bow I know). Toelke or Mohawk I don't know because I never had the pleasure of shooting it. I shot one of my Peregrines yesterday and was grouping to perfection. I trained till 60 yards, as usual. At 60 yards I can group my arrows within a circle of 10 inch without too many problems. I always shoot three arra's and then get them out. Sometimes they are very close to each other or against each other. Yesterday I did the unbelievable:  I shot a Robin Hood at 60 yards. The nock of the recieving arrow exploded and was totally dissapeared.  That's terryfying!    :scared:    No pic's but I do have witnesses   :)  .
The Peregrines costed me already some nocks....
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
I have and have had a bunch....Dwyer, Mahaska, Kohannah, Several Hills, Mikuta, Great Norhtern, Several Northern Mist, Zipper, Bob Lee, Crooked Stick, Green Mountain, Holm-Made, a few ILF's and some self bows that I made. All have been good shooters and fun to learn from. I'll Have to say that The 2 I have right now from Chad Holm are tough to beat....but I do have a soft spot in my heart for Northern Mist's. I really need to shoot a Centaur at some point....lol! I really like longbows!!   :wavey:    :wavey:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
b/w
mohawk
shrew
21 century
All shoot better than I do..
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
Fred Anderson Skookum's for me.  A close second would be Thunder Sticks.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
I seem to shoot my liberty bows well. No hand shock and hit where I point.
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©