3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ground-pounders  (Read 438 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
ground-pounders
« on: October 12, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
Anybody hunting from the ground this fall?Ifso hows it going?
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ground-pounders
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
I am, so far all I'm seeing are does and babies. So far all were twins, so that's a good thing.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
I had two does 25 yards from me last weekend, I was in a bush and only had my Ashbell wool pullover on.  We played hide and seek for an hour.  I never had a good shot angle so I jsut watched ... it was awesome!
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
In a ghillie (first time) on the ground. A buddy who was moving spots kicked up a spike. Came through on a dead run, stopped 20 yards out to look over his shoulder for a split second. No shot. He took off again and I stopped him for another split second with a bleat.He had no idea I was there. Liking the ghillie thing. I feel invisible. Looking forward to tomorrow... some cold temps coming in tonight here in NY.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
Seen 10 does. Shot one in a goldenrod field. Heading out this afternoon to attempt to deflate the lungs of a buck. Haven't been out for over a week.  I can't wait.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
I am.  Have had limited time to go between work and takin kids squrrel hunting.  Its tough and fun though.  I'm stickin with it until I get one.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline koops4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
I am also.  Out last weekend and seen about 8 (mostly does).  Took a shot at one doe and shot over her back.  Hopefully weather will cooperate this weekend and I'll get another chance.
Paul

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
With the shaggie coat I got from you Tim I had a doe broadside at 12 yards......she caught me off guard and I could not move.......she never spooked and fed off.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
I always hunt the ground. Got out twice before my back surgery. Since my surgery last week, I have been out walking  for therapy and seeing a lot of deer including many bucks. I have not like walking with out my bow, so this morning against better judgement I took my bow along. I took a few shots at stumps and felt really good. All of a sudden a doe walked right out in front of me! I shot it with out a worry. I had to get a friend to drag it for me. What was I thinking?! Better not tell the wife... or my Dr. sorry no photo this time.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
Jerry.....unbelievable   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup: ...  Now ,back to rehab....LOL!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
If I get out this year, it will probably be on the ground.  I like to go out to big public land, and just kinda go with the wind like a coyote.  I've actually had some pretty good encounters that way, but never actually scored (should have though!).  Maybe next time. . .

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
Anybody have luck with calls when ground hunting????
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
I have had luck with calls ground hunting.  In fact, I prefer calling on the ground to tree stands.  I usually walk with no real "pace", walk, pause ... walk a few more steps ( when I get close to my sit).  I may doe bleat or buck grunt, snap a few twigs, shake a young tree, then paw the ground with my feet.  Walk to my sit, grunt a few more times and wait.  If in 45 minutes or so nothing happens, I may give a few more grunts or soft doe bleats.  I have had good luck that way and filled tags doing it.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
Close but no cigar Thursday week. Heading out again on Sunday. The acorn crop is outstanding. The dark moon should make things interesting this week. Good luck to all and "Keep'Um Sharp".

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
My deer season is not for a little while yet but I hunted elk from the ground and was on 5 bulls and a bunch of cows.  I was within 20 yds of a raghorn but couldn't get the shot.  I still had more fun than I've had in years with this being my first season bowhunting in 8 yrs and using traditional equipment in about 15yrs.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Hunting a new spot this year really didn't know what to expect sat for a while last nite after the rain finally quit, today was real nice weather so i was looking forward to getting into the woods! I built a ground in a juniper bush, they make a great blind! Second time sitting also using my new ground hunter seat from Big Jim these seats work great! sitting tonite wearing my Asbell Evening Stand Brown Vest starting to get dark, had a small doe come in from behind me about 10yards away look right at me several times,she never spooked this is the closest that I have been to a deer in 2 years, I swear by those Asbell plaids! It was a great day to be in the woods looks like my new spot will be real good once the rut gets going!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
I've only been in a tree once this season.  Been on the ground every other time in a Ghillie suit. Fun stuff.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
Went out for a hunt with my Hill this morning. No animals were harmed but had a great time. I was still hunting. Saw a buck and doe but they were moving too fast to get on. Came accross a herd of hogs with a real nice one in the group but they got a small smell of me and began moving off. Got up wind and shadowed the herd for a while but when they started through the swamp I was unable to follow. Later while setting in a bush a three legged coon came within feet of me and checked me out before moving on. I figured a tough fella like that needed to live. On the way back to the truck I stopped to check a distant ridge out and when I looked down and I was strattling a pissed off cotton mouth. I jumped high enough to make micheal jordan pround, nocked an arrow and shot just misssing the head high and he took off. All in all it was a great time. Dragonheart was hunting near by and we spent some time stumpin.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
On the ground this AM, Ghillie coat and hat, spike horn at 8 yards, could not get drawn on him....but fun!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
Ron, sounds like you have been getting 'em around you. That's great! Waiting to hear about that thwack!
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©