3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ranking the best limb woods  (Read 1550 times)

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Ranking the best limb woods
« on: August 13, 2007, 12:11:00 AM »
Was wondering if you could help me put together a ranking of the best limb woods.  Mainly interested in the most popular ones, bamboo, osage, zebrawood, elm, yew, etc.  Wondering about smoothness, speed, etc.
thanks guys,

brack

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ranking the best limb woods
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 02:35:00 AM »
If you shoot a Brack as your handle eludes to, then you know that Bill recommends Hickory,Wenge and walnut in about that order for a core wood. Bamboo is also a good choice in my opinion. Elm has been a standard limb wood for a long time. zebra is a good laminate, do not think it is used as a core wood. My top 4 choices would be; hickory,wenge,walnut and bamboo.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
My top three (in no particular order) are: natural bamboo (not actionboo) walnut and yew.  All are light weight for their stiffness.

Close seconds are elm, maple, and some of the actionboo.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
ttt........
What about osage?

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
I like yew and bamboo.lightweight and recover well with less hanshock.they have a whippy, wand like feel on the bows I have those woods in.they feel smooth on the draw

Osage is a bit heavier.Its very tuff.Its very good in compression on the belly side of of a bow.I think it shoots nice with longer longbow limbs and heavier arrows.I have had a couple great northern superghosts curves that were all osage limbs that shot nice.I was shootin heavy 650 gr arrows out of those.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »
On glass laminated bows, does the wood used in the limbs really have a significant effect on shooting characteristics?  How much work is done by the glass?

I would think the greatest effects would be from the overall bow and limb design by the bowyer?

I can see the wood choice having a huge impact on all-wood selfbows or bamboo backed bows.

Offline Ric Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
Design of the bow definately has the greatest impact on how a bow will shoot.  That said, I strongly believe that the woods used in a bow, especially a longbow, make a difference in its characteristics.  Red Elm, Canarywood, Zebrawood, Maple, Bamboo, Yew, Black Walnut, and others all make for good shooting bows.  They are all durable and have good recovery speeds.  It has been my experience that when I use Bamboo or Yew that I have to add to the overall limb thickness to hit the desired draw weight.  Osage, Black Locust, Bubinga and some others are also excellent woods but seem to have a little more handshock.  That's not a big deal on a recurve but I believe can definately be felt on a longbow due to the number of lams in a longbow.  I prefer to use them as the center lams on a longbow in combination with some smoother shooting woods.  The other option is grinding them down to .020 or less and using them as veneers over another corewood.  This allows them to show thru the glass and at the same time reduce their impact.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
Not a bow builder and have no claim on any such knowledge. However, I've pulled and shot quite a few bows. I think bamboo (including the boo laminates) is the best, period: smooth, quick, no shock with proper design. I like it so well over the other core woods, I'd be hard pressed for anyone to convince me that I should use anything else. Yew would be my second choice but only if I can't get it in bamboo.

I've also been very fond of sassafrass for a core...Gene Sanders of G&L archery built quite a few with "rootbeer" cores and they feel very similar to bamboo to me.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline john gerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
JC, I agree with you on the sassafrass as a core or a veneer. I have a Ancient Spirits Sequia with action boo cores and sassafrass veneers that is very smooth and quick. The "frass" that Tree used on my bow was beautiful. Not too many people would think of it for a veneer but is has grain very simular to red elm. Mine was left natural but I'm sure that it could be stained in many colors. Brokenwing

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »
My Treadway Black Forrest has sassafrass limbs under clear glass. Seems to shoot pretty quick, and light to carry compared to some similar longbows I have shot. I have shot some Hill bows with bamboo cores that were awfully smooth and light in the hand.
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
I like bamboo and red elm
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline mikecc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
I agree with Ric when I use actionboo for a core on my little hybrid bow I have to use more wood than if I use zebra or black walnut which are 2 of my favorites. Mike

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
I have a rose oak with zebrawood limbs that is pretty darn fast........

brack

Offline defiant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »
As a core wood I like walnut and black cherry.For decorative purpose any exotic wood veneers of .030 will work.

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »
Hhhhmmm, let me see #1 choice Bamboo
                    #2 choice Bamboo
                    #3 choice Bamboo
In my opinion there is no better suited material than Bamboo for limbs.
Regards, Bert.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 12:41:00 AM »
Bamboo imho is the best core material, but not the best looking under clear glass. I've often wondered if the reason why boo feels so good is because it has linear fibers just like the glass. At any rate the glass is doing most(if not all, except for deep core LB's) of the work, so if a person wants any sort of core wood just for looks they ain't giving up a whole lot. jmho
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©