3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletchong Jig Recommendation?  (Read 220 times)

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletchong Jig Recommendation?
« on: October 12, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
I'm going to start building some of my own arrows and need a fletching jig that allows the flexibility to locate a 5 inch feather a specific distance from the valley of the nock (as per when a feather to nose is used as an anchor point).

Can anyone make a recommendation for a jig that allows this?
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletchong Jig Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
Hard to say not knowing what the specified distance is but my Bitz allows some flexibility and it's 35 years old +- and I wouldn't use anything else.The clamp is indexed so once you getter like you want you can easily repeat. That said there are some other good models.

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
Just measured my Bitzenburger, can get a maximim of 1 13/16" between end of fletch and valley of nock.   :thumbsup:
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline grayfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
jo jan and bitzenburger are the best, depends on other thing too.like are you going to glue, use jo jan, if tape bitz, 4 feathers 90 degress bitz, x shape jo jan, cost jo jan is less $.the farther from nock more heical in the feather, i think ? I would recomend a bitzenburger if it is your first jig.

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
BPE pro is what I use. I am using 4" feathers right now but looks like plenty of room for your 5" as well
Levi Bedortha

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
Bohning. Yes, the cheap red plastic one! Best value for money jig there is.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
I like to use the Jo-Jan. I started with their Mono Fletcher. Well made and easy to use.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
I have the Jo-Jan multi fletcher.  The time it saves is well worth the money in my opinion.  You're going to enjoy making your own arrows and will want to make a bunch if you get hooked like the rest of us.  If you can't get the multi fletcher and want just a one at a time jig, then I would suggest a Bitzenberger.  Cadillac of fletching jigs in my opinion.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
if you are going to fletch all your own in the future, i'd recommend the Jo Jan multi-fletch. you can do 6 at a time. 3 or 4 fletch and plenty of room to play with.

btw... they do have 90 degree inserts for 4 fletch available.  kirk

:biglaugh:    We posted at the same time

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
I would recommend the Grayling fletching jig.  Its also marketed as the Martin J-8 Fletcher (3Rivers catalog).

If you do a search for Grayling Jig, you'll find a lot of good info, plus a video.

I purchased a Bitzenberger first, but the indexer  was very spongy.  The Grayling was a lot easier to set up.

I'm far from an expert on Fletching, but I've been well pleased with the Grayling.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
Bitz for maybe 30 years
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
One thing I discovered, is the Grayling will do anything the Bitz does.

At about half the price.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. Anyone have experience with the Arizona EZ fltech? Can you adjust the distance of the fletch from the nock valley?
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
I have two Bitz jigs, a relatively new one and one that is at least 50 years old.  Both will be fletching arrows long after I'm gone.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
I've got a bunch of bitz's., but rarely use them after buying 6 bpe pros!  Cheaper light weight and much more adjustable than a bitz.  It has its quirks.  The support end can be a tad sharp imho.   Other than that I think they're perfection!

Bitz's are tanks. That I believe leads people to believe they are the best and at one time I would have agreed.  They were my first jigs and i keep them in the backup box in case i'd get a big order or fell behind when i was doing arrows as a side gig.  The nock holders too small destroying the large index on bohning classics leading too inconsistencies in fletching and having to replace nocks.   And the lack of micro adjustments leaves this jig in a acceptable range (close) but not perfection acrossed a broad range of shaft diameters makes setting jigs up a pain at times.   There are ways of working with this on the Fletcher's end, but why deal with it when another jig can adjust for it at a cheaper cost to the fletcher? This answer depend on how far you want to take it, what's consistent enough?

Jo Jan's though nice for speed lack the quality control to wArrent this purchase.   It's unfortunate as this jig has been around as long as bitz (under a different name) and only after machining gets it consistent from one end to the other.  A machinist buddy has reworked a few of them and so far none are on from one end to the other when he gets them.  In a game where consistency rules the gold, the lack of it with this jig keeps it off my go roster!

They are the only three I would consider forking money over for and of them I own both old a new bitz's and the bpe pros.

On that note....
If you're doing a special arrow you could easily mock something up with a big binder clamp and wood scraps.   Really you're imagination is limitless.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
i nalso shoot the feather to nose double anchor system-ala:Rick Welch.
check out his site and see what he reccomends.
i use my bitz- and they work really well for me- 5" fletch's and lots of space for my schnoz.
but the nock holder will not take the indexer nocks.
wayne

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©