3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Still confused  (Read 485 times)

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Still confused
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by SELFBOW19953:
If nothing has changed and all 6 positions do the same thing, maybe the jig adjustment got moved just enough to be causing the problem?
I tried adjusting it everyway possible,,no dice. I put the clamp on the arrow with no feather,and there is a lot of gap between the arrow and clamp.. So I am even more mystified that I never had issues before this.

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Zenzele:
I have that happen sometimes even though the clamp hasn't moved etc... I solve it by doing what the guys here have mentioned. Slip a screwdriver between the clap/quill and push it down flush to the shaft. Just one of those things "Murphy" sends your way to deal with I guess. Good luck.
That doesn`t work,,maybe I need to use a fast drying glue now.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
Rich, when you place the feather in the clamp, the top of the quill should be slightly below the bottom edge  of the clamp. Then when you place the clamp and feather down onto the shaft, the top of the quill should be sticking out below the clamp. Then you can just run your finger nail, tooth pick, knife edge or whatever along the top of the quill to seat the feather down more until it makes contact with the shaft.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
Are you using fletch tape?

I skimmed thru the posts but maybe I missed the adhesive you're using.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
Missed it.

"same feather, same clamp, same glue...."

Maybe switch to fletch tape and use the edge of a credit card along the quill while clamped to press to the shaft, then, if happy with the connection, run a slim bead of your glue along the quill for reassurance.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
When I place the feather in the clamp I always grip the quill and lightly open the clamp a hair just to make sure I havnt pinched the feather any. And I have used a large pin to hold down the tip of the feather on occasion.

And one time I had a set of shafts that were smaller in diameter than my usual ones, I just added masking tape to the arrow groove on the clamp and it raised them a bit and the fletching worked without any clamp adjustment.

And most important make sure you do not have any dried glue(over smear) on the clamp edges. it will make the the fletching adhere bumpy on the shaft.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Somewhat confused is it a six arrow Johan or a,single Johan?
If a single I 'd guess you've looked for any glue build up on the clamp.
I use a 6 Johan clamp. I have on occasion had some gaps when I was careless.
It is necessary to look to see that the fletching has made contact, and if not some of the above solutions will,work but for the most part I just slap them in there and look it over.

So something has changed. An empty clamp in the slot with a,shaft should answer what is,going on it should be even.
Adjust as necessary. Is the nock fitting into the nock receiver correctly?

I also like to leave my quill just shy off seating all the way in the clamp.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
Wipe your shafts down with denatured alcohol before you fletch. Don't touch the area with your fingers. Some batches of feathers also seem to have oil on them, so I wipe them down too.

The best way I have found to eliminate the problem is to use fletch tape instead of glue. I still wipe down the shafts. I've never had a problem with the tape.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
Are you using fletch tape?

I skimmed thru the posts but maybe I missed the adhesive you're using.
no I am not

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
When I place the feather in the clamp I always grip the quill and lightly open the clamp a hair just to make sure I havnt pinched the feather any. And I have used a large pin to hold down the tip of the feather on occasion.

And one time I had a set of shafts that were smaller in diameter than my usual ones, I just added masking tape to the arrow groove on the clamp and it raised them a bit and the fletching worked without any clamp adjustment.

And most important make sure you do not have any dried glue(over smear) on the clamp edges. it will make the the fletching adhere bumpy on the shaft.
When I lay the clamp on the arrow without a feather,,only the ends of the clamp lay flush,,the whole middle section has a gap.

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:
Wipe your shafts down with denatured alcohol before you fletch. Don't touch the area with your fingers. Some batches of feathers also seem to have oil on them, so I wipe them down too.

The best way I have found to eliminate the problem is to use fletch tape instead of glue. I still wipe down the shafts. I've never had a problem with the tape.
I am seriously considering the tape.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
First,I don't know why it worked before and now it doesn't and I'm not sure it matters.

Second,I only use a Bitzenburger so what I see and do,may not be exactly the same for you.I use Fletchtite Platinum for glue.

1.Here is a feather clamped,leaving the quill out of the clamp edge slightly,like others have suggested.You should be able to push the clamp and fletch down on the shaft and as you push down,the quill should conform to the shaft.
2.I shoved the needle tool between the quill and shaft,just to create a gap,as you have described.

3.Since I now have a gap between quill and shaft,I use the side of the needle tool's tip to drag down on the quill,starting from the front,going all the way to the back.It should now make contact-full length.

I'm hoping you can understand this and that it can be applied to your dilemma.If not,hang in there and be patient.Someone here will be able to get you there.

Sorry,I had pictures up but Photobucket seems to have changed how everything is done and is now,not automatically sizing all pictures.I edited them out as they are to big.I'll have to learn how to do it all over again.

If I can't figure out how to resize them,I will PM them to you,Scattergun.

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by macbow:
Somewhat confused is it a six arrow Johan or a,single Johan?
If a single I 'd guess you've looked for any glue build up on the clamp.
I use a 6 Johan clamp. I have on occasion had some gaps when I was careless.
It is necessary to look to see that the fletching has made contact, and if not some of the above solutions will,work but for the most part I just slap them in there and look it over.

So something has changed. An empty clamp in the slot with a,shaft should answer what is,going on it should be even.
Adjust as necessary. Is the nock fitting into the nock receiver correctly?

I also like to leave my quill just shy off seating all the way in the clamp.
An empty clamp in  the jig with no feather has a gap no matter how I adjust it.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Others told you not to put the quill fully against the clamp.If the clamp has a gap and you make the quill conform to the clamp,what do you get? A gap under the quill.

I gave you the explanation above and PMed you the pictures that I wanted to go in my post.Good luck.

Photobucket seems to have changed their format and I don't know how to setup for all photos to be automatically be correctly sized.If any one knows how,please PM me.Thanks.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
I use an x-acto blade between the clamp and the quill just to push it down. I use and old Bitz jig.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
I've always adjusted both ends of the jig until the gap closes. It's a pretty hard helical with 1916's, but I think they look cool.

I had zero luck with Platinum, even after preparing the shafts. I went with tape and will never go back to glue.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 01:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
I've always adjusted both ends of the jig until the gap closes. It's a pretty hard helical with 1916's, but I think they look cool.

I had zero luck with Platinum, even after preparing the shafts. I went with tape and will never go back to glue.
Platinum did not work well on my aluminum at all!

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »
I've been PMing back & forth with Scattergun on this & this is the first time I've actually gone through this thread.

After reading all the many replies saying that y'all are having the same issue, I have come up with a scientific (and fairly obvious) deduction, to whit; Jojan fletching tools are basically just crap.

Bohning Pro-fletch...... It's the future.

:D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2012, 01:57:00 AM »
I don't have an answer but I just picked up a used jojan 6 arrow fletcher a few weeks ago.  I had never fletched an arrow before but I've fletched 10 dozen 2317's, half dozen each of 2016's and 2113's, and so far 1 1/2 dozen 1916's and everyone has come out perfect without changing anything in between.  I'm also using the fletch tite platinum and I'm fletching a combinating of 5" Bearpaw shield cuts and 4" True Flite parabolics.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©