3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Oooooooohhhh!  (Read 548 times)

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Oooooooohhhh!
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
ummm bacon!
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
Hog killer !

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
Way to go Ray! Nice one!
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
Looks like some fine eatin.  :bigsmyl:
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
Good Shoot'n!

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
Very nice!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:
You lost weight Raymond? I seen to remember there being more of you?
He's wearing one of my shirts
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
I love you too Wayne! :-)
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
I'm still in camp

Story on Sunday when I return.  Looks like Larry Surtees is at Bacon Strip so there may be more BBQ in the house!

UB- I'm moving it in stages- kind of sneaking it that way so nobody notices I'm copying you
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
Salute !!!
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Sweeet! Did you get that with one of your flintknapped heads? :)

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
Way to go, Ray!  Save me 2 or 3 for February!

Bob C
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
I will leave the story to Ray. Let me say Ray is one class act. Just spent the last few days with him at Hog Heaven. Had an awesome time. Yes there is a story to go with that pig.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
Bruce

No I've been road testing Tuffheads for the maker.   Broad head really did its job on what turned out to be a not perfect hit!

Ed, really enjoyed hunting with you Sir! Looking forward to more adventures soon

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
Way to go Ray, those tuffheads are nice.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
Anyone else look at this pig and start day dreaming about the Hog Heaven pork stew dinner/pulled pork lunch??? Man, I'm ruined!

Great looking pig Ray, congrats!
Thom

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
Come on Ray. Either there is a good story here or a big dent in your pickup truck! Which is it?
Sam

Offline lunchbucket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Great job I can already smell porkchops!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
Hey Sam.  

Pretty short story actually.

Bruinman and I were in the swamp at daylight and wished each other good luck.  I actually was planning to scout some places for him to go that evening.  

No more than 30 minutes and I spied a new well- used trail crossing the road and the tracks looked smoking hot and going in one direction.  

Never one to look a gift horse in the mouth I followed the tracks, and a lot of freshly emptied acorn hulls about 400 yards off the two track and what do I see but a really nice  buck  moving off to the left- he didn't wind me and he was too far off and i was moving too slowly to have jumped him up.  

Hmmmm... Maybe my new acorn munching friends pushed him?  Just then I spotted one hog- then two no three more- all slowly moving toward the palmetto thicket the buck came from. So that explained why he moved off.  

I worked within 30 yards pretty quick.  That's the easy part.  Checking and rechecking the wind ( I like a crosswinds in the swamp- they're more dependable) I played cat and mouse for about 30-35 minutes to get the biggest of them within 15 yards

At the precise moment I released the hog turned from quartering away to broadside so the arrow went in the wrong spot.  The hog reacted immediately by rushing forward into the palmetto thicket and stopped where I could see it standing still.  

The other hogs looked after the stricken compadre and took off.  I then tried to quietly move in for a second shot but the hog moved to the right and with a bunch of stick- breaking settled under a palmetto

I knew if i attempted to go in there it would surely jump. Up and run off.  On the sneak in I'd noticed no arrow pass thru and no blood.   So that would be the likely end of hope for recovery.  

On the bright side a Hog that is hit marginally just goes and goes - but this one was obviously hurting.   So I decided to back out, walk back to camp and give things time to settle out

Bruinman got back and we grabbed the John Deere gator and went to see what had transpired.  

I moved to where I'd last seen the bedded swine but we found zip- no blood no arrow no pig

We split up and moved thru opposite directions in the 150 yard long thicket backed by a dry creek bed.  

I moved all the way to the end-where there was a fallen tree but no sign... And rounded the end to head back and see if Ed had any better luck when a Sherman tank decided to get up under the tree and bulldoze toward the creek!

Whatever it was- and I hoped it was my hog began raising all kinds of ruckus down in the creek and it did not sound like it was inviting me to tea!  

About that time Ed eased up beside me as he had heard the commotion and we looked and looked until Ed spotted it behind a tree trying its best to rise to its feet but having no luck.

The hog then gave it up and we moved in and collected a couple hundred pounds of smoked jalapeño cheese sausages!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©