3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Three cheers for ethical decisions  (Read 429 times)

Offline Caleb Andes

• Trad Bowhunter
Three cheers for ethical decisions
« on: October 13, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »
I was faced with a decision tonight in the woods. Take an awkward 15yrd shot in a position i hadnt practiced much on a spooky doe that i have become to know as "big mama" or... Let her pass to live another day and provide me with a better shot later in the season. I opted to pass on her. It hurts to think I could be skinning beautiful venison right now. But I believe our bowhunting fathers of past and present are smiling down upon me thinking, this kid has it right.. It's more about the respect of the animal and the journey than the kill itself. I live by that.

Has anyone had the honor of making such decisions this year? If so, shout them out loud an proud!!!
>>----> Lovin the mystical flight >>---->

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Three cheers for ethical decisions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 12:49:00 AM »
I made it a couple times, once on a cow and once on a bull elk.  I had the shot but the range was out of my self imposed limit.  Both were on a steep downhill so I wasn't as concerned about hitting them as I was where I would hit them.  The longer the ranger the more time for them to move and things to go badly wrong.  I ended up with elk tag soup but it's better than having a lost animal on my hands.  I still have deer season ahead so maybe better luck then.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 05:28:00 AM »
Well chosen Caleb. ETHICS has been defined as the choices we make when there's nobody around to see.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
good call!
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
Not me... I went for a total launch and emptied my quiver! The good lord guided every one of those arrows right into the dirt above and below him too....   :biglaugh:  

Sure felt good to lock and load!

i love these ethics threads.   :p

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
I've passed a lot more than I've shot. One was the biggest buck I've seen from the stand, but it was near the end of legal shooting time and something just felt wrong. I felt kind of sick at first to see such a monster walk out of my life, but the next morning I was back in the same stand. As the sun lit up the area where the buck was standing, I could see some twiggy little branches which would have been between me and his vitals. They were small enough that I couldn't see them the night before, but certainly large enough to have deflected an arrow and perhaps wounding, or worse yet, gut shooting, a fine animal.

You did the right thing at the moment. Kirk is just kidding...I hope!

What part of Iowa are you from? I live in North Central Iowa, but hunt most of the time in Northeast Iowa.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Last year i had a 160 plus buck 17 yards away just didn't like the angle so he is still alive.Couldn't take the chance of wounding him.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
you did good.  We all need to remember,  if we are concerned about making it, the shot is probably one to pass by.

Thanks for sharing.

ChuckC

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
This is one of the values of bowhunting...something you can carry with you always that makes your pack lighter and easier to carry instead of heavier and more cumbersome.

Three cheers indeed...carry on Caleb...  :campfire:

Offline Caleb Andes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
I hunt eastern Iowa in the muscatine area. The doe has been a regular on our trail cams you can tell its her because she is truly a pope and young doe.. She'll be back she left the food plot undisturbed and who know maybe in a couple if weeks she'll pull a big buck out of the timber for me... If she doesn't present me a better shot before then :-)
>>----> Lovin the mystical flight >>---->

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
Nice call!
James Kerr

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
Good Call! when it doesnt feelright always good to pass!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
Not this year, but last year I had a buck in velvet at a mere 8/9 yards, it was quartering to me slightly, I  was gonna wait till he started walking away from me. When he did, the shot didn't feel comfortable due to branches and the feeling I had. I let him walk outa my life that night thinking I will get another opportunity at him another day, I never saw him again. No regrets. It was a great encounter and I felt good about not taking shots that are not only "iffy" but because they don't feel right. I learned to trust my "feeling", it has never let me down.

A few weeks later I had 2 does come through at about 10 --12 yards. I let them walk because I wasn't sure on the size of them. No arrows lost last year, but it was a great year!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
I passed a doe at 20 yards on Wednesday morning. I just didn't have the confidence to shoot at her plus she was a bit spooky and she had a fawn. I never even rose my bow up.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
Of course i was kidding...

One of my favorite pass of all times was 3 cow elk and a bull all broadside at very nice yardage. but they were staggered in a line with the butt of the one in front, covering the vitals behind it.... i came to half draw looking for a spot and all i had was butts and guts...and the first one in line had a tree covering the shoulder.

They didn't even know i was there until i busted up laughing.... the butts and guts thing cracked me up....   :biglaugh:

If i have to stop to think about the shot at all, I'll wait till it comes natural. Self confidence is huge with instinctive archery.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
I don't pat myself on the back..I kick myself in the butt..for not getting a shot.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 09:38:00 AM »
Good for you, I took a shot on a doe two nights ago and everything was text book perfect. less than twelve yards quartered away and totally relaxed yet somehow she managed to duck my string and I got a bad hit. I know it was not a fatal shot and was a flesh wound but it tears me up knowing she's hurting like heck. I'm sure she will survive but none the less it kills me.

Passed on a bunch and some real bruisers at that. Always left the woods feeling real good about it. In 22 years of bow hunting the three bad hits always haunt me and always will.

It takes a real woodsman to let one walk when it just don't feel right.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
I passed on a 6 point due to "government intervention".  In the county I hunt the hunter has to judge the antlers of a buck as 13" or wider for the buck to be "legal".  I had a great hunt, the buck came in on the right side of the stand and proceeded to step at 12 yrds broadside looking the other way.  Shots do not get much better than this encounter.  He was right at the outside of his ears.  I had that "?" in my mind, so I did not shoot.  I followed the "law".  It does put a distaste for me that our games laws are so dictated by trophy hunters and manufactuers.  I was legal, and I guess that is ethical.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
You made a good choice. If it does not feel right, then it is not right. Wait and try again.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©