3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cold weather base layer opinions  (Read 403 times)

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cold weather base layer opinions
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
I have got polpro's from the military.  Real warm and works real well.  I have a couple different brands of oly pro's from silk to midweights, they work rel well.  But nothing works like wool.  Always warm, always.  And it doesn't over heat you like polypro's either.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
I am a huge wool user (and seller) but I have to admit, my Merino Wool longjohns are reserved for REAL cold. I like silk until it gets into the teens.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
As others have stated, Merino wool is a great product for a base layer, however there is nothing wrong with wearing synthetics during certain situations.

For example; synthetics will do the job if you’re taking short hikes to a morning or evening stand without building up a sweat, or if you’re not going to be around an open flame.

I use synthetics and Merino wool base layers and as Canyon stated; silk does a nice job as a base layer under wool.

In regards to the different types of Merino wool base layers that I have or have used; Icebreaker, Ipex, Minus33, Woolpower, Filson and Kuiu, the first three manufactures make a very high quality product. I purchased the Kuiu because it had a camouflage pattern, however I find the Kuiu Merino (250) wool course and scratchy, and the zipper support material irritating on both the 185 and 250 Zip-T’s.
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
Merino wool for me too.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
I'm with Canyon.  Silk as the first layer, then merino wool.  Nothing feels better of keeps one warmer.  I layer additional wool over that.

Offline Werewolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
thanks guys appreciate the help!

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Craig:
patagonia  

I worked outside and bought it years ago. The wind doesn't go through it. It has lasted me 20 years and still going strong.
Capilene of today isnt the same as it was 20 years ago.  In fact, the brew has changed at least twice since then.  It would be a good one for downhill skiing though.

But like all synthetics, if you wear it more than a couple days, it's going to STINK.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
there's a lot of questions that need to be asked.  I like both wool and poly though i lean a lot more towards wool.

Activity (stands, hiking, spot stalking etc), how long (all day sits, all day hikes 30 minute jaunts), and how much am I carrying (usually packing a load on my back) will dictate how I do or dont dress.

I did just get the heavy minus 33 top and so far really like it.  Smart wool makes good lighter gear, my old army polys work very good.   I've heard good about first lite, and a few other companys.  

You're better off layering lighter layers than having heavier layers on.   Sweating is your enemey and everyones body perspires.

Offline lunchbucket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
I really like my Justin Charles merino wool base layers.Merino wool is simply amazing and last a long time.I have had mine for years.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
I also like merino wool. All wool is a bit scratchy to me, so I often wear the light weight silk longjohns popular with skiiers under it.It is very warm, especially in the relatively mild winters we have in Georgia.
Sam

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
I guess I'll go against the grain.... I'm a big fan of silk under merino wool.  

Silk is natural and will not funk up like poly.  

Its is softer than anything and wicks moisture like poly.  

Even the highest quality merino wools still feel a little itchy compared to silk against my princess skin.   :)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Minus 33

Offline Retnuh Wob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
My moto is never substitute something man mad for something God made unless there is an awfully good reason.

I avoid synthetics because I know the kind of toxins that are used to make them that continue to off gas for years. Merino wool is fantastic but I use silk too. You can find both in thrift stores for  pennies on the dollar for what you would pay retail.  A little hole here or there does not bother me when I am out in the woods. I layer so that I can adjust quickly to temperature changes.  Wool ith a little heavier than some synthetics but by layering you can keep overal weight dow and as has been mentioned it does not develop the odor that synthetics do.

Offline bdgr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
I like the non compression under armour garments with wool layers over the top.  I usually have to hike a fair piece to my stands and that combo seems to wick the best for me.  I have two different levels of cold gear I use depending on the temp.  expensive but will last 20 yrs.

Offline Ferris Bugler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Yep, Merino Wool.  Check out backcountry.com  they always have stuff on sale.  I prefer the Icebreaker.  For cold weather and sitting go with stuff over 260.  Love the stuff.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©