3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: UPS insurance?  (Read 264 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
UPS insurance?
« on: October 13, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
I shipped a bow to a fellow TGer via UPS, and even though I had it in PVC, they still managed to bust a limb tip in transit. I did insure the bow, so does anyone have any experience with UPS handling claims? I'm hoping it isn't the hassle that I have had with USPS(sorry Killdeer) in the past. Any experiences, good, bad or ugly?    :pray:    
The recipient says the tip looks like it is repairable, by the way.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: UPS insurance?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
The only experience I had was not a bow. It was a,computer and was triple boxed.
When it was,delivered it looked like they had rolled,it,across,the country and of coarse was,broken.
They refused the claim stating the packaging did not meet their standards.
Good luck.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
Yep pretty much if they can break it the packaging was not up too standard.  They are near impossible to get a claim out of.

That's why we only deal with USPS.  At least if they break it they pay for it if you do your job right.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I think!   :knothead:
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline L. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
I was trying to find a proper box one time and was checking in a UPS store. They asked what I was shipping. I told them a custom bow and that I would be insuring it, I was told it would not matter, that if THEY didn't pack it, insurance wouldn't cover it. They wanted 75.00 just to pack it plus another $27.50 to ship. I found a good box,packed it and went with USPS with no problems.
Traditional Bowhunting: Cunning and stealth, not gadgets and gizmos!

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »
Due to them busting really bad a heavy PVC tube I shipped a longbow in I will NEVER use UPS.  The damage to that tube looked like it almost had to be intentional--then they just left it at the recipient's door as it was.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline subsonic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
When I ship UPS I use a local store.  Any problems I have had were cleared up with UPS by the owner.
Casse Couilles!

Offline woodworker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
I shipped to very expensive pair of night stands to a client in Montana a few years back, they were in a crate each, only one arrived the other was nearly destroyed (it looked like they dropped it from a plane).  They told me, as mentioned previously, sub standard packaging, it was in a crate !  Here is the kicker they still charged me for the botched delivery !  It is like they do this kind of thing on purpose, throw a computer in a cardboard box and they can ship it anywhere in the world, put anything hand crafted in something bomb proof and they find a way.  I had a similar thing with FEDex but they owned up to the liability.  All I can say is where is the sense of pride in a job well done, good luck Pat I hope it works out, Joe

Offline woodworker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
I shipped to very expensive pair of night stands to a client in Montana a few years back, they were in a crate each, only one arrived the other was nearly destroyed (it looked like they dropped it from a plane).  They told me, as mentioned previously, sub standard packaging, it was in a crate !  Here is the kicker they still charged me for the botched delivery !  It is like they do this kind of thing on purpose, throw a computer in a cardboard box and they can ship it anywhere in the world, put anything hand crafted in something bomb proof and they find a way.  I had a similar thing with FEDex but they owned up to the liability.  All I can say is where is the sense of pride in a job well done, good luck Pat I hope it works out, Joe

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
I too have had rotten luck with UPS and will never use them again.. What's more I will jump at every opportunity to make my voice heard..

Offline swarbt119

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
The insurance is a scam, they have never paid a claim for me, just hassle. Even with them packing the item and receipt for the purchase of the item, they said I had no proof of the items value, worst shipping company ever! I never use them anymore, and cringe when someone ships to me with them.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
I reported my one incident with UPS earlier.
I just recently had a incident with USPS .
Shipped a bow to Canada, PVC tube.
Paid for insurance, filled out customs form.

Hasn't been delivered.
USPS international person says I cannot put in a claim because the local post office had me fill out the wrong customs form and the numbers I have are not traceable.
Getting ready to re send a new bow and hope it works this time.

I know this doesn't help with your problem good luck.
Just wanted to let folks know the snags,with business shipping.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
I refuse to use ups anymore for my pistolsmith business.  As has been stated they will weasel out of anything they can.  I've also had packages opened and the reason given was they didn't know what could be worth 2k in the size box I had.  It could have been jewelry or anything.  I think they planned to steal it but when they realized it was a gun they figured they might get the shaft over it.  I have special paperwork filed with my local postmaster and I can ship my guns for a fraction of what the big brown turd wants and I feel safer about it.  I've also found that usps priority takes half the time of ups ground.  I know this doesn't help this incident but hopefully it will help anyone else looking to ship in the future.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
Fedex is much better about owning up and paying up. If i use anything but usps its fedex. I worked at a warehouse for a short while with a fella who also worked for ups. He would often joke about how they would purposefully abuse packages that were fragile. That and personal experience left a bad taste in my mouth. When i worked at fedex, i felt their policies were sound and saw them process claims without a fight.
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
I have had good luck shipping and rec. with USPS, no issues. UPS hasseled me about a vintage air pistol a few years ago (tried to tell me I need an FFL to ship an airgun, which is NOT UPS policy), and I had to threaten an NRA backed boycott. UPS headquarters straightened out the local ( obviously anti-gun) UPS manager, and I was able to ship. She couldn't even read her own companys policy when I asked her to. Yes, USPS is my favored shipper these days.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 11:39:00 PM »
I'm back with USPS for all my needs and have quit shipping bows in PVC tubes. They fall off conveyer belts and the employees hate them. Cardboard and insurance is going to be it for me.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
I had a recent issue with USPS, had two bows sent in the same PVC tube. Mailman, who usually does me the courtesy to ring my bell when delivering a priority package, left it lying flat at my door step, making it real simple to roll away. When I checked my mailbox for mail, I was shocked to see the tube just lying there and the top was missing......Man I was steamed, I brought the tube in and crossed my fingers that the bows were safe. One bow was in a soft case, the other was just in the tube, no wrapping. Thankfully the bows survived but I am damn sure if it was just one, it would have been a disaster. When I called the PO to inquire about it I got the run around.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
sounds like this guys been delivering y'alls packages
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKUDTPbDhnA&feature=related

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
I think it varies with the area you are in. I will never ever ever ship with fedex ever. UPS is the safest option for my area. My advice ask the local businesses what carrier they use. It is the same way with freight shipments. Some carriers have a universal bad name others not so great in certain areas.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
The only time i ship UPS is if i have their store pack it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©