3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrow ?  (Read 168 times)

Offline Llamma1

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood arrow ?
« on: October 13, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
I just switched to wood this year so I am fairly new at putting wood arrows together. Seems when I shoot the firmer 3-D targets my glue on points have  a tendency to come off. What do you do to stop that from happening? Thank you for any help.
Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood arrow ?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »
Are you using hot melt? Have you cleaned the inside of the points before attaching them to the shaft?
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
Take a small piece of sandpaper, roll it up so it goes into the field point.  Run it in there, turn it a few times and scuff the inside.  Then take a Q-tip soaked in a little bit of mineral spirits or thinner and clean out the inside.  This removes the sandpaper grit and any oil residue from the manufacturing process.  Once dry (only takes a minute or two), use some hot melt glue (I like Bohning's stuff) and glue the points on.  I very, very, very rarely have a point come off using this process.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline Llamma1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
Thank you. I didn't realize that the inside of the point had oils in them.
Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
I use acetone on a rag or paper towel to clean the inside of the new heads.  Rarely does a head come off.  Though a rock or hard target may loosen a head that later comes off in a soft foam or rotten stump.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
I heat the head to burn off the oil then let it cool. Put a dab of hot melt on the tip of the arrow. Heat the head again and press the hot tip on the arrow turning it at the same time.
I very seldom loose heads. Just break arrows
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
I also heat the head to burn them off.  You can see it happening.  Typically I heat things too hot and need to let them cool down a little before shoving on a shaft.  Keep a rag handy (one you dont plan on using for anything else as you're going to get glue on it)....clean the excess glue off moving it towads the point..the heat will warm up the rag and help soften the glue enough it'll roll right off. if you get any.  If not you may be using too little.

there's nothing better than PDP for points....if they're not stamped PDP, throw them out and get some imho!   They used to use a TON of oil on the older heads.  Well dont throw them out, use them for stumping or something till they are gone and buy pdps!!!

The next question I have is the taper correct?  Heads do and will come off but usually it takes a pretty good whack for it to happen.   A taper thats off creates more glue to fill the voids and a higherly likely hood of heads falling off on impacts.  Depending on what kind of hotmelt you're using some of its very brittle...especially the colder it gets!

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
One more very important step: once the point is set, and still hot,  hold it in place with pliers and run it under cold water for a  moment. Otherwise, the glue will expand slightly and you won't get a solid point. I was losing points a lot until adding this, and haven't lost a single one since; field point or Judo's.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Since I started quenching in cold water I have had a lot less trouble.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©