3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I need help from the tuning pros...  (Read 186 times)

Offline NJSwampstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
I need help from the tuning pros...
« on: October 14, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
So, I was shooting early yesterday morning and my string broke.  I went inside, took the string off, checked the bow, and everything seemed OK.  I got out another string,identical to my old one and strung up the bow.  The string is still stretching a bit, but I've been trying to shoot it in.  I'm a left handed shooter and I'm shooting a 58" Red Wing Slimline Pro,45#.  

With my old string, I was well tuned and bare shafts grouped with fletched shafts (with nock left).  With the new string and same brace, etc.(no silencers), my bare shaft are grouping left of my fletched arrows w/ nock right.  Any ideas why this is happening since the string and setup is the same?

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I need help from the tuning pros...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
its telling you you're stiff.

adding silencers would slow the string down making the arrows act stiffer yet.   You could try lowering your bh a tad.  Add a pressure point a little farther forward on the site window/shelf if you already have one.  

Is the string material the same? Same strand count?  You could try a lighter string (smaller diameter all equal it may help out.   If you're close I'd opt out of this one.

also is the serving length the same? same type, and amount?  Adding weight to the center of the string will change things.

lastly hows the nock fit.  Tighter nocks are going to create a dynamic stiff situation.  This one would be my first guess.  A worn serving is usually looser than a new serving (ie tighter nocks).

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
The strings may have started the same but the difference is as you stated. The new one is still breaking in.
Keep shooting it a lot. You'll probably have to adjust brace height as you go. After hundreds of shots it should settle in.
Then you can do final tuning.
I have not had a string break in years. I'd be concerned as to why it broke.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline NJSwampstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Thanks macbow.  I'm not sure why it broke.  It was made by a very respected string maker on this site.  I've shot thousands of arrows off of it, and it didn't look worn.  One strand popped about six inches up from the tip of the bottom limb.

AKDan, the new string is exactly the same as the old one, made by the same guy at the same time.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
Chances are it got up against something along the journey.
I cut one in half one time sneaking up on a spring turkey, got careless with the broadhead.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
If there's no difference the only two things I can come up with is how tight your nocks are on the new compared to old string or it was never on to begin with.

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
seeing as how you are left hande, your arrows are showing slightly weak without the silencers.
 reinstall the same silencers & see what happens.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
I think that one you install silencers and the string is finished stretching you should be able to go back to your brace height and find that you will be back in tune.
James Kerr

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 12:17:00 AM »
DOH a lefty! so much for thinking!

Offline NJSwampstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
Well, an extra day of shooting in the string and adding silencers made all the difference.  I didn't think silencers would make that much of a difference, but my bare shafts are shooting great again.

Offline NJSwampstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
Well, an extra day of shooting in the string and adding silencers made all the difference.  I didn't think silencers would make that much of a difference, but my bare shafts are shooting great again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©