3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve bow case ideas  (Read 296 times)

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve bow case ideas
« on: October 14, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »
OK, I'm flying next month she would like to take an extra bow for back up.  It's a Martin x 200,so not a take down.  I've seen  ideas with a 4 inch pvc pipe, but that's to small.  The next size is 6 inches which is really too big for my liking.  Any one have a good idea for a case to protect my bow while I fly? The only thing I've come up with it building a wood case, but that could get heavy fast.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve bow case ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
I would maybe look at a rifle hard case.A 6" pipe is kind of large,a rifle case is flat and may work if long enough.Can be difficult traveling with a one piece recurve.

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
I've been kicking around the idea of building a tube case out of plastic downspout. Its rectangular and light. Probably use wood for the ends if i can't find a cap. Foam spacers can be slid on the limbs + pads at the ends. My main concern is durability, i think it will be fine, but i have yet to try it.
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Austin, great idea, I'll have to look into that, I may head over to Lowes and walk around and see what I can find

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
You can always use the 4 inch and take a heat gun to one end making it wide enough for the handle.
capt eddie

Offline Iron Man2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
I thought of using a 6in PVC pipe also...with the extra room, maybe also include arrows, gloves, Bhds, etc. Basically your bow and all your accessories in one stout container?

I would worry about the drain down spout...not very strong and could easily twist or bend if luggage were placed(or thrown) on top in a plane's cargo bay. Or even worst, hang up on the luggage pick up belt/opening and bent as other luggage pushes through.

My 2 centavos

JL   :archer2:
W/training wheels: Mathews 70# @ 28.5"
Advanced: Black Widow GB 53# @ 30
Master in Training: Archery Traditions Bambou Hunter 68" 57#
No matter how you slice it...it tastes that much better when it was earned the hard way.

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
I used a expandable fishing rod holder to fly that same bow several times. Flambeau bazuka is the one that I used, never had any problem, it is airplane approved.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Iron man,  I was wondering about that too and was going to see if they had any heavy duty down spouts, but am a little worried that they may not be as strong as I would like.

Chester, I'll look into those, hopefully those are big enough, I'd guess they are since you say they can hold several bows. Thanks!

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
On three trips to Canada I needed a soft case by law to handle bow to and from hunting.I just folded my takedown in it and packed the bow in the middle of my bag with bunch of clothes all around.I know a lot of others doing the same thing.I made an arrow case out of P.V.C. for the arrows that also fit in my drop bottom bag.Kip

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
Thanks Kip, unfortunately it's not a take down so theres no way the bow would fit in my suitcase.
I really like this bow, but as far as travelling with a one piece recurve, I don't think I'll buy another.

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
Yeah, I've seen some heavy downspout but I'd definitely test it first. That fishing rod tube is a great idea, they're not cheap but they're an excellent ata case for anything that fits inside them.

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
I have another idea, but i may test it out first...

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
Hey Brad,

I have several very light weight wooden cases I've built for shipping one piece RC bows that i have used for flying on occasion myself. i used paneling and red cedar for the box, with a soft case and bubble wrap inside

I could easily send you one.

I am discontinuing building any more one piece Sasquatch RC's, or the one piece LB's in that model. So i still have several shipping cases already built.

Let me know if you are interested i can send you photos.    Kirk

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
PM sent, thanks Kirk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©