3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ohio Buck Down  (Read 797 times)

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Ohio Buck Down
« on: October 14, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
Pics and story to come when I get a minute   :bigsmyl:

Online Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ohio Buck Down
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
All right, Robert!     :thumbsup:

Cadet members are on the move these days...
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
Sweet looking forward to the story!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
:coffee:
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
First off I would like to say that I got really lucky on this hunt. I actually harvested my buck yesterday morning but havnt had an opportunity to post for you guys until now. I believe I experienced every emotion possible in yesterday's hunt. I'll explain this more soon.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
Can't wait!!!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
Im ready for this   :archer2:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
Good work! We are waiting....

:coffee:

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Yesterday morning was a beautiful moring in southeastern ohio. It was nice and cool with a slight breeze and I felt confident when I got settled into my handclimber. I was hunting a spot that I had hunted on opening day which resulted in a missed shot at a nice sized doe. Anyway, I hadnt really seen much besides a few red squirrels until about 9:30. I heard some shuffling of leaves behind me and slowly turned to see what it was fully expecting to see a few squirrels, however to my surprise I turned to see two decent sized bucks sparring with each other. At first I was shocked because I had never seen this before, so I tried to grab my camera to get some footage, but then realized that I had better get my bow ready in case a shot presented itself. Right about the time I got my bow into my hands I heard a noise coming from my right, it was another buck! Within a few minutes I had three bucks within 30 yards of my stand. By this time I started to get that adrenaline pumping. I was also trying to decide if I wanted to shoot any of these bucks, I could tell that they were all fairly young but I had not tagged a buck in a few years and just felt that it was time to tag another buck (even though I wanted to save my tag for a mature buck).

Anyways the largest of the three bucks started making his way right for my shooting lane; moving from my left to my right. Right about this time I had decided that if he got into my lane I would take him, so now the adrenaline was really goin. At this point in time I wanted to stand up but with so many eyes around me I decided that I probably wouldnt be able to get away with this maneuver.

The buck then in picture perfect fashion made his way towards the other buck that had snuck in on me, this was also right into my shooting lane. I could not have asked for a better shot the buck was about 12 yards from my stand slightly quartering away. This is where the roller coaster of emotions started. I picked my spot drew my bow, and then... plucked, peeked and did everything wrong that I never do when I am shooting for practice. I instantly knew that my shot was bad, because it was back, waay back. I saw my arrow bury up to my feathers into the bucks rump. I couldnt believe what I had done, it was very similar to the way I had missed the doe on opening day. It is hard for me to say that I am/was suffering from target panic, because I have killed many deer in my hunting career; but Maybe I am. So instantly I was disappointed, and mad at myself.

But as I noticed the buck bounding away, I saw blood, Lots of blood coming out of where I had hit him. The only thing that came to my mind at this point in time was "femoral artery". I started telling myself I might be alright, I may have just gotten away with a terrible shot. I then heard a large crash! I thought to myself that had to be him going down.

I proceeded to call my dad who gave me some advice and said to just calm down and give him a while just in case the crash wasnt him going down. So after waiting about a 45 minutes and finally stopped shaking, I climbed down. I found a lot of blood where i had hit him, and told myself to just follow the trail slowly and quietly. I followed the trail down the hill and then around the hillside, the blood started to thin out and I was at this point very worried. However, I followed a few drops that led me to a large pool of blood, I thought he has to be close. I then looked to my left and there he lay next to a large hickory tree, he had only ran about 75 yards from my stand.

I was now happy and thankful to have gotten so lucky. I called my girlfriend and was able to get some help from her, my grandma, and my uncle for dragging him up the steep hill. However, that thought still lingered in my mind, why did I make such a terrible shot? Especially on a shot that I make 10 outta 10 times on my 3-D target    :banghead:  

Overall I cannot complain about the outcome. It was a great day in the woods and I was glad to be able to share it with my family. I hope you guys enjoyed the story (sorry it was quite long). Maybe you guys can give me some adivce on my shooting mishaps! Oh yea here are the pics! Enjoy!
BTW: I was using a 45# Bear Kodiak Hunter, Bear Razorheads, and CX Heritage 150 arrows.

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Good job on a nice buck

:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
Nice one,Congrats.  :clapper:

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
Congrats on a great buck.We all have bad shots we just need to focus harder.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Nice buck congrats....   :thumbsup:

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
Congradulations-Hap

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Congrats on an awesome buck!
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
maybe not a shooting mishap per se......you killed an awesome buck with a stick and string.   maybe not text book ten ring , but got the job done . if you hunt long an hard enough ,things happen....some good....sometimes bad, do the best you can and that is all that you can do.  it's great when it's good...enjoy!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
Great job Bro!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
good Job, nice buck, congrats
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©