3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: does anyone bother doing this with carbons?-  (Read 1093 times)

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: does anyone bother doing this with carbons?-
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
Used to spine my carbon shafts until I went back to aluminum for that very reason.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
New to me but I'm going to check it later to see.  Certainly a simple step to putting arrows together.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Its a great idea, i remember being introduced to this a while back and i think its a good idea. I haven't built new carbons in a while.
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
I think Rod Jenkins plugs up the ends of his shafts and puts them in water. The stiff side will be the side floating at water level.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
Hmmmm....I guess I need to add another step to my arrow making process!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
what the ______! I thought I was paying the big bucks for consistency in arrows.  HMMMM
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
New to me. But couldn't hurt. The guy in the video said tighter groups I'm all about that!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Never done it with arrows but thats how I find the stiff side of rod blanks when building a flyrod.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
Lol.....I'm like Joe, thought they were uniform all around. Just shows how little I know about carbons.
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
I plug each end with cork and float them and mark them. You can buy a tray used to wet wallpaper at home improvement stores and float your shafts in it.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
I have heard of doing that only with the Grizzly shafts,I think it was due to the way they are manufactured.I have never done that with other carbon arrows.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
After watching this, I just grabbed some Carbonwoods that have never been done up...they are about nine or ten years old...and I could NOT find the "stiff side". We have some Gold Tip blems in raw shaft form somewhere but my son has them stashed and I can`t find them...I will check to see if I can find the "stiff side" on those.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
tried it with my gold tips and at full length i notice it but with arrows that are shorter that i shoot it is less noticeable.

i guess all your doing is finding the stiff side of each shaft though. it doesn't tell you if that stiff side is the same between shafts.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
I think that the original grizzly sticks are the only carbon arrows made that do have a stiff side to them. I have spoken personally with some guys from Easton, and Ted at Raptor archery about different shafts and so far the Grizzly sticks are the only shafts made with a stiff side. The people at alaska bowhunting have said that it because a shaft is tapered the material they use will always have stiff side, but I found that untrue with the arrow dynamics shafting.
James Kerr

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
JamesK,

Interesting commentary.  Primos team has for years spoken to how one arrow maker they buy from always spines the Easton ACC for the high side, mark it and then fletch the cock feather at that high point and that it has tightened their groups considerably...

Another friend, who made and sold thousands of arrows made from varied shafting, sold out of his booth on the tournament trail, claimed that almost every maker of CARBON arrows has variance in the spine, weight, and straightness of any given dozen shafts. Across the board... he did find ONE mfg that was most consistent lot to lot.

Having found those variances, NOT finding a stiff side where the wraps of material overlap, would surprise the bejabbers out of me... :)

I never bothered with testing the Griz Sticks when I "torture tested" them years back... as Ed's explanation of how to do it, didn't work for me...Joey's clip, showing the shaft sticking out beyond his cupped hand for balance, makes me want to try again...

Spine testers will reportedly also show if there is a "stiff" side... I don't have one so can't vouch for that.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »
I recently started testing spine on my Ad Trads on a 360 degree basis.  Carbons definitely have stiff sides (according to a friend of mine who is very familiar with their manufacturing).  I stripped the fletching, removed the nocks, and spined them on my tester.  I marked them all so that the stiffest common spot (.425) contacts the riser, then put the nock back in and refletched according to my marks.  I then re-tuned and found a nice improvement....enough so that I'll do this consistantly in the future.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
I've always done this, my method is a bit more scientific...I use a spine tester.  The most consistant carbon shafts I have ever tested were arrow dynamics.  Both in weight and spine from shaft to shaft.  The worst were represented in the video.
"A man is best judged by what he does when nobody else is watching."

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
Being a rod builder, I have always done this with rod blanks. It is critical to getting an accurate casting rod.

I tried it with Beman ICS Bowhunter shafts, with Gold Tips, and with some Carbon Express shafts and could not find a stiff spot on any of them. I think the process of making arrow shafts is quite different from that of making rod blanks. The Grizzly stick may be the exception because, like a rod blank, they are tapered.

I don't have a spine tester, so it may be there are some variances in the parallel shafts as well, but they are not enough to find using the method shown in the video.

This does seem like a good excuse for missing the mark though! Maybe we need to add this to Joe's list.    :readit:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter