3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My First and an Answered Prayer!  (Read 934 times)

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
My First and an Answered Prayer!
« on: October 15, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Our deer season's only been in for about a month now, but I feel like I've been at it a lot longer than that. The third day of hunting for me would find me stumbling around in the woods, checking out some new ground, jumping bedded deer and surprising a couple of yearlings, one of which I was able to get an arrow loose on, only to miss.

If you'd been in the woods with me on day 6 afield, you may have seen me standing in a semi-crouch in one of our natural ground blinds attempting a nearly impossible shot through an unanticipated 'window' on the heavily overgrown right side of the blind. I watched in grave disappointment as my arrow deflected off a branch and sailed over the back of a young buck harmlessly. Extracting the three blade Woodsman from the Osage it found left me with a fine chunk of finger skin removed.

On day 7 in the wild, while sitting in head high tallgrass along the edge of a field, I'd have an experience that would almost ruin me  for trad bowhunting. I'd seen a lot of deer and been busted twice, thanks to the swirling winds along the corner of a winter wheat field, causing me to change positions as many times. A running doe appeared with a large bodied forkhorn in hot pursuit and the route they were on would bring them onto the trail I'd positioned downwind of, as I'd seen the deer using this trail to access the field all morning. As they got closer, it dawned on me that the only shot I would have would come if I could stand up, so I did, in a rather informal fashion. The doe swerved and bailed into the woods. The buck, obviously a little too curious for his own good, stopped broadside, dead in his tracks, eyeballing me. I drew, anchored, and as I felt my fingers relaxing, the buck lunged forward, taking the arrow high in the right hip. As he spun around to head back the way he came, the arrow fell out of his left hip and he was off.

I sat for an hour, partially in the company of my hunting partner who'd found me. When we took up the trail, the amount of blood grew hopes of a severed femoral artery. Two hours and a half mile later found us on a nearly dried up blood trail at the 'halo deer trail' on the sandy lakeshore. Checking for any blood in the sand in either direction proved ineffective and the deer was nowhere to be found. I trust the coyotes ate well that night.

I prayed this would never happen to me again. No matter how many people tell me "it happens", I don't feel any better about it.

Yesterday, I arrived late for day number 8. My hopes were deflated as I approached my favorite morning spot on the field and found two friends there, gearing up to head in. An intimate relationship with the deer that use this field, like the one I formed last season, would have helped them not make their first mistake of parking on the wrong side of the road. From the farthest point in the back of the field, when the sun rises, any vehicle parked there lights up like a lighthouse, announcing the presence of the unnatural.

Mistake number two came in the fumbling of keys by the driver, when the 'HONK, HONK, HONK, HONK" alarm was accidentally set off. I definitely had doubts about this morning being very productive here now, but against my better judgement, decided to go ahead and split the corner with them anyway. After two hours of daylight and no deer movement, I decided I'd had enough and headed for the truck and Plan B.

I pulled into Plan B a few minutes later and headed in. As I came into the creekbed that surrounds most of the knoll where we have a ground blind built, I was greeted by a small flock of turkeys. My luck, season's in and me with no tag in my pocket for birds!:roll: I head on in to the blind and settle for a half hour or so before a big doe comes trotting the same path behind and right of the blind, where I'd taken the shot on the young buck two weeks prior. She made short work of getting lost from sight into the woods.

I'd readjusted my seating position in hopes that I could watch my back for another deer to follow her, but when I turned my head to check center stage a few minutes later, there was a deer there! She was facing the blind, but when she turned her head back to lick her side, I sprang to my feet and turned to line up for a shot. She caught some of my movement and went super cautious, choosing to walk out of the clearing at a good clip. Her path however, would bring her within feet of the blind, so I continued a slow draw and tracked her movement. As she made it to about six yards, I'd anchored and let the string slip from my grip. The arrow hit her hard with a loud 'WHOP'. the deer was gone, arrow in the ground next to where she'd been and I WAS SHAKING!! 20 yards- no blood.. I began to panic. Then i found the first blood, and lots of it. Another 40-50 yards through the woods, I looked up and spotted her there, resting in the leaves, no longer breathing. I found my knees and said a prayer of thanks.

While she is not a big buck, nor a big doe, she's my trophy as my first confirmed traditionally harvested deer.

Thanks for reading my long winded account!!
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My First and an Answered Prayer!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
Very nice.  Congrats.  Any animal killed with trad gear is a trophy.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
Congratulations on your first!
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :clapper:

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  

Congratulations and thank you for sharing with us!!  Glad you had the chance to put your tag on one this season.  Each deer I take is special but the first will always stay with you forever.

K.C.  <><
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
Awesome, congrats on a fine deer.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
Hey, way to go!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
The best thing about harvesting a young animal is at the dinner table. You won't regret it a bit.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
you are a gifted story teller, thanks for sharing....
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
The first you will never forget. I had the very same thing happen to me last year. It hit a big doe back in the hip and did catch an artery. Unfortunately I didn't find her until the next morning and coyotes had made short work of her. Glad she didn't make it far but still felt that I had failed as a hunter. I know the relief you felt when you found your next doe. A lost animal can put enough doubt in our mind to quit. Did me. Laid my long bow down and ran back to my wheels last season until the very end and I finally closed the deal. Congrats to you. Its very tough to lose one and find the strength to come back out the very next day and keep trying. Fine doe you took be proud!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
Congrats!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
Congrats  :thumbsup:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
Excellent!

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
Very nice!   :thumbsup:

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
Congrats!

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
Congrats.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
Too cool! Great job!  :clapper:

Offline Curvebo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Congrats on your first!! I'm hoping for the same this year.

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
Great story brother,and congrats on your first traditional deer kill.
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
Not only your first, but from the ground--Well Done!    :thumbsup:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©