3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting with Andy Ivy in Oklahoma  (Read 1176 times)

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting with Andy Ivy in Oklahoma
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
sweet...
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »
We did chores all afternoon, putting up stands and feeders, cutting shooting lanes, and cleaning up the brush that had grown up in the hunting areas during the off season. Doug gave Andy the full tour of the ranch, because Andy will be hunting here for an entire week and needs to get his big buck.

At about 4:30 this afternoon we all headed for our various stands. I dropped Doug off near his stand and spooked a few does. I parked and walked into my stand, where a doe and a turkey were standing before running off. A medium sized 9 point buck (125") came in at 5:40 and stayed in shooting range for 23 minutes. Along came a small 6 point that the 9 point ran off. Two flocks of turkeys passed within 100 yards. Later an 8 point (115"+) that wasn't a lot smaller than the 9 point walked by within 18 yards. I could have easily shot either of the two bigger bucks, but chose to hold out for an even bigger one or a fat doe.

We had a fantastic dinner of pork loin, veal chops, stir fry rice, and salad. Doug has a fireplace devoted purely to cooking, along with a regular kitchen, and another friend, Barry, who is a great cook, showed up to hunt and helped prepare dinner. On Monday (after I have left) yet another friend, Anthony, a professional gourmet chef and owner of one of the finest restaurants in Oklahoma (or anywhere else), is coming out to hunt and will be preparing some of the best food in the world, just because he can and wants to. I hate to miss the delicious fixings, but I have to get back for work on Monday. It's easy to get spoiled hunting at Doug's ranch!

Well, it's late, and we have an early morning wake up time. I need to get a card reader so we can post some pictures.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
It was pouring rain early this morning. The "older and wiser" guys stayed at the house. As many others have pointed out here, not only does rain make things uncomfortable, it washes away those important blood trails.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
I grew up in Western Oklahoma.  Your description of the place in the beginning sounds just like it was when I moved away in 1985 to start a career in the big town.

Thanks for keeping us posted.  I can't wait for more stories and some pictures!!

K.C.  <><
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
Good Luck to Andy, although with his skills I don't think LUCK is that much depended on.    :archer:
The brotherhood of man is taken too lightly. The brotherhood of the bow is not. --- Craig Stocker

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Thanks for the updates. Good luck Andy!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
Awesome story so far.  I know Andy has the drive.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Just wanted to say that the sudden death of Donald Rowan has made all of us here very sad, but it has inspired an even greater resolve on our parts to live life to its fullest and experience the gifts that God has given us, especially as we spend time together in nature, enjoying the hunt and the companionship of our friends and families. Our hearts, thoughts and prayers go out to Donald, Danny, Kimber and their family in this difficult time, and we dedicate this hunt to the memory of our dear friend and fellow traditional archer, Donald. God's speed, Donald. Your new custom bow and arrows will be ones only He can build for you. We'll join you there all to soon friend!

Allan, Andy and Doug
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Well said Allan!!!!!

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
Good luck to all you guys!...and shoot 'em straight!

Kenny    :archer2:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
Go get em guys!

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
Good luck! Looking forward to the rest of the hunt.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
Good luck Allan, I look forward to another good read.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2012, 12:54:00 AM »
I had several bucks under my stand this morning and again this evening, He was a pretty deer, but I unfortunately did not have my camera available at the time. The 8 point from yesterday was back again today and was in the area for an hour and a half. He even bedded 50 yards away and in sight after spending 50 minutes under my stand. I got a bunch of pictures of him. It's good for him that he is immune to my arrows, because he needs to grow up and get bigger first.

I will hunt in the morning, eat lunch, and then head home -- unless I shoot something and need to spend some time cleaning it. It's been great sharing a hunting camp with Andy again. He is a great guy and has become a close friend. It's hard to believe he is years younger than my own kids! I'll post some pictures when I get home.

We end this day thinking of Donald Rowan and remembering him for the wonderful man he was. We are also thinking of Danny, Kimber, and the other family members who have suffered such a grievous loss. I'll be including them in my bedtime prayers, and will picture Donald as sharing our hunt and the hunts of other TradGangers from a higher and clearer perch, where he watches us as we chase deer, turkey and other game down here. I'm sure he's enjoying it as we miss shots and spook animals, and even more when we succeed in taking home trophies and memories of our days spent in the field.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2012, 02:41:00 AM »
Good luck, Allan.  Lookiing forward to hearing more of the story.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
This is about to get better. I just have a feeling!!
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
Allan,

Donald treasured your friendship with all of his heart. I thank you for your kind words and dedication. I set here now with tears flowing down my face while I type this. I miss him dearly. I hope all of your arrows fly true.

Gods Peace,

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
Sweet!  :thumbsup:

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
Danny,

I feel very blessed to have you tell me how Donald felt about me. And know that the feelings on my part were equal. I'm just glad guys are doing what Donald loved to do and showed all of us how to do the right way. I don't know how things are going back at the ranch. I had to leave after lunch today and have not received the latest news.

I saw lots of deer and a few flocks of turkeys, and I got some good photos and a few short movies. It will take just a little while for me to get the photos up so you can see some of the animals there on Doug's place. I only hunted on one stand, because of the short time I was there, but there are lots more deer around, and some of them are much bigger.

I'm exhausted. I have only had about 1 1/2 nights of sleep the last 3 nights, and it is catching up with me. I have to work tomorrow, so I am going to hit the sack soon. God be with you and bless Donald, Kimber, your wife, your sister and all the rest of your family, Danny. I know life is really tough for all of you at this point, but God is good at carrying us at times when we aren't able to make it on our own. Donald was in our hunting camp in spirit this weekend, and we felt his warmth, presence and guidance in everything we did. I'll always remember Donald and cherish our friendship.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
Looking forward to more news...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©