3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hard Steel Owes  (Read 230 times)

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
Hard Steel Owes
« on: August 13, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
I just received 2 packages of 145 grain grizzly broad heads last week. I started to sharpen the first package on a new bastard file with no trouble what so ever. I have these blades shaving sharp.
The problem started when I started to sharpen the very first blade from the second package.Seems these blades are made from a harder steel than the first package. I cleaned the file after getting each side of the blade to the angle I was told would work best. Seems I can't hardly get my file to bite into these blades at all. Is there any trick anyone can share with me so that I can get these blades shaving sharp too?
Thank you.
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hard Steel Owes
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
I've had the same problem with them too.I took them down first with the bench grinder,then used the file.I also had to clean my file often. Leland

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
I always use an auto body rasp to change the blade bevel the first time..8 curved teeth per inch..14 inches long, mounted on a piece of moulding just slightly wider than it is.

I think the steel in a grizzly will wear out the teeth on a Nicholson file if you are trying to cut too much metal- I chalk my files also...but I really find a grobet from 3 rivers is just so much better a file than the Nicholson..makes all the difference in the world sharpening grizzers.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
I believe I read somewhere that those heads are made in two different hardnesses. One of 44 and one of 55 on the Rockwell scale. Sure would be nice to know what you are getting. Hap

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©