3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Merino wool long undies and such......  (Read 403 times)

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Merino wool long undies and such......
« on: October 16, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
Where are some of the best sources to get some really great quality merino wool long underwear?  I see KUIU is a sponsor here and they have a great looking product....just wanted to see other options before I make take the plunge....and to make price comparisons as well!  :help:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Merino wool long undies and such......
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
I just started using merino myself this year.  Went with Minus 33 from Working Gear.com. So far have been extremely happy with both the quality and comfort.  Wish I had bought some long ago.   KUIU and Sitka have good names as well.  I just don't have personal experience with those.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
I love my Ullfrotte wool underwear. Google will give you info. about it, can't remember where I bought it a few years back, but it is a lifetime purchase worth the money.
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
I have been looking at Kryptek. I have a friend that has both KUIU and the Kryptek and he likes the Kryptek better.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
I've used Merino wool long johns from:  Filson, Ice Breaker and Minus 33.  The Filsons were OK but didn't last, Ice Breaker were good quality but expensive.  Hands down the best I have used from a value perspective is Minus33.  I have always wanted some Ullfrotte but at twice the cost of Minus33 I'll stick with what I have.  I currently have and use a set of 260 wt. Ice Breaker and a set of 400 wt. Minus33.  You will never be warmer than when you have your Merino on.  When it's real cold I use both sets of long johns, and one or two Merino wool sweaters on top and wool whipcord pants.  I also have Merino neck gaiter and balaclava.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
I usually just buy whatever is on sale at Sierra trading post.  But smartwool has seemed to last the longest.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
I've used SmartWool, Minus33 and FirstLite. They have all been excellent quality, but I have usually been able to find the best prices on the Minus33.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline PaulRoberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
I go to Goodwill/Salvatio Army stores and find old "Shetland Wool" turtle necks -cheap. They are so warm I only use them when on a stand or for emergency.

Offline Ferris Bugler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
Check out backcountry.com  They have a bunch of different brands and sales often.  I prefer the Icebreaker.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by goldflinger:
I love my Ullfrotte wool underwear.
I love mine too. 3 Rivers and Bighorn are sponsors and both carry it.

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
Do they itch?

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Marc B.:

Originally posted by goldflinger:
I love my Ullfrotte wool underwear.
I love mine too. 3 Rivers and Bighorn are sponsors and both carry it. [/b]
I've had mine about 7 years and they are,still in good shape.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
I'm a big fan of my Minus 33 drawers.  No itch at all, and much more comfortable than the synthetic stuff.

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
I have been wearing Minus33 merino long underwear for a number of years and am extremely satisfied.

Regards,
Grouse

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
I have Kuiu, Smartwool, FirstLite, Core4, Ice Breaker and Cabela's, and all of them are good. It really depends on the particular item of clothing as to which I like the best, but for most purposes, I like the Kuiu as well or better than any of them in the two weights of long underwear that Kuiu produces. Some of the heavier weight FirstLite and Icebreaker Merino clothing, like the sweaters and vests, are super-nice, but I don't wear them as much, preferring instead some lighter weight alternatives that are just as warm and can be compacted more for travel. I have seen the Ullfrotte, which seem to be really nice and warm too. There is some argument about where the best Merino wool is grown. Ullfrotte gets its wool from Patagonia, while Kuiu gets its wool from New Zealand or Australia. They both seem nice to me. In wool socks, I have used Smartwool, Lorpen and Cabela's socks. Again, all of them are nice, but I like the cut and construction of the Lorpen socks best. They are not 100% Merino, but they are great. I'm wearing a pair right now, as I do most days.

When I dress totally in wool for hunting, which normally only happens when I get to drive my truck to the hunting site, I love wearing Merino socks (with Merino liner socks if needed), Merino long underwear (sometimes two sets of different weight or a thin Merino sweater instead of the second top), perhaps a Pendleton wool shirt, a heavier (400 weight) Merino sweater or vest, and an outer wool shirt or jacket like the Shrew Longhunter shirt or one of the many nice Asbell shirts/jackets/Mackinaws (I like the new ones with the zippers for easier off/on and access to underlying layers and equipment).

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
I believe the Ulfrotte is aiso known as woolpower, it is available through Bighorn gear, another sponsor.

Eric

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
I bought some Cabelas ECWCS Merino wool in the polar weight (warmest) and it is extemely comfortable and very warm! Couldn't have asked for a better set of long underwear I don't think
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
I haven't tried any of the other's however, just thought I would throw out a positive note about the ECWCS from Cabelas
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
I have and wear Ulfrotte,KUIU,Smartwool and Icebraker. As been stated they all are good. All can be worn next to the skin without any irritation. The Ulfrotte is a terry weave and traps air better so I would say in very cold it might have the advantage. What wonderful garments these sheep give us! No, No, No odor! Just love that on backcountry hunts.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 12:05:00 AM »
minus 33 is good and not too expensive

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©