3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tall Tine handle tweak  (Read 669 times)

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Tall Tine handle tweak
« on: October 16, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
I've been tuning some arrows for my Tall Tines and discovered that when I do a lot of shooting I get some spots on my hand where the handle irritates it a little. So, I studied it a little before I started sanding, but I tweaked it some to settle my hand on into the grip.

The wrist was too high for me and I took some of that down to start with. I have not held another Tall Tines, but I imagine what I done was to make it into a "medium". Then just worked on the front of the riser to settle each finger in it's natural place. I like a grip instead holding loose, not too tight but a grip.

Anyway, it helped. I thought you might want to see some shots to see that I didn't ruin it.   :D  

This shows it in my hand held rel loose so you can see. One place that was irritated was the top of my thumb joint. You can tell I raised it up a little.

I thought long and hard about this before doing it. I'm not recommending that anyone make changes to their bow themselves. It's just that I intend to have this bow till I drop. Plus I have some experience shaping handles.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline lunchbucket

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tall Tine handle tweak
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
Nicely done the right grip is everything.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
Nicely done Lin.

I have a buddy that will file down on a Black Widow then send it right back to them and pay to get it refinished.

I about lost my mind when I saw him take a bow from the mail and start filing away at it before even shooting it.

He says, IT'S ALL IN THE GRIP!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
Looks excellent! You did a really nice job.
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
Lin, that's perfect! If I were looking for anyone other that a bowyer to work on shaping my grip, you are the guy I would have called. Yes, you have had just a little experience shaping grips. In fact, I would say you have "cutting edge" skills in that department!!!    :saywhat:

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
Warranty voided  :knothead:  

Very nice.  Looks to me like it was originally made that way.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Looks good to me!
I am really starting to fancy a Tall Tines for myself lately. Nobody seems to have a bad word to say about them.

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
Never would have know you messed with it.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
That looks really good Lin.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Thanks guys.

I figure it would void the warranty. No problem.  

This is no knock against Brian's work either. I'm thankful he chose to leave it big. It's hard to put it back on. I'm getting to know this bow and I really like it. I have another set of limbs ordered for it. That should tell you that I like it.   :)
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
Great job! Fine tuning a custom bow is good sense if its not perfect for you.Everyone is SO different its near impossible to get a bow to perfectly fit each individual unless they are standing there as you build it. If its not exactly how you want it, definitely figure out how to get it that way.
I personally don't worry about warentees myself. Its more important to me to have that bow dead on how I want it.
Again, you did one heck of a fine job.
David M. Conroy

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
On a bow you like and are going to keep I think you should have it the way you feel comfortable....I have done the same thing.....!   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
When I saw the title and your name, I imagined you hard hand-forged a switchblade to install in the riser!   :dunno:  

Very nice job, and the ultimate in personalization!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 07:19:00 AM »
" I have some experience shaping handles..."
A midge of understatement!
Looks to be an excellent outcome, especially since it's improved the grip for you. I like the finger grooves as I also lightly grip my bow.
Very nice.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »
Great work.  Could you explain how you refinished it after the alterations?
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
Nice job. I have modified several of my bows. Makes it really custom then.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
I also have a TT and performance wise they are hard to beat, but as you my grip is too high for me as well. I have pondered sanding on it but I'm Skeeeeered to do it. I suppose I should send it out to do it as it hangs on the wall and really needs to be fixed for me as it is a shame it gets no tree time.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
I too believe that having a custom grip shape is one of the key ingredients to accuracy. Having your hand slide into the slot the same every time and be repeatable, you are going to shoot better.

But....This has to be said here, so i might as well be the guy to say it.....Besides voiding a warranty, you may be endangering yourself and those standing next to you while you are shooting by grinding on a riser grip.

In this case you have an Action Wood riser which is pretty stout riser material, and will most likely have no strength issues. But.... and i say BUT..... There are a lot of bow risers out there made from solid hardwood and laminated hardwoods with accent stripes in key locations for strength.  Often times the back of the riser has a piece of fiberglass running from limb pad to limb pad that is only .040 in thickness that holds a lot of strength. if you sand into that it's like cutting your safety harness line half way through and hoping it will still save you if you fall.

The bottom line is this isn't something i would recommend doing yourself at all. Removing a wee bit of material in the wrong spot can make a bomb out of your riser in short order.

Kirk

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
Yes Kirk, I understand that and would never touch a riser other than these circumstances. I ordered this riser with diamondwood knowing it's characteristics and did not take enough material from the narrow parts to affect it's strength.

I totally agree with you when it comes to solid exotics and any fiberglass materials. If it had been anything other than diamond wood I would have sent it back to Brian for the alteration if at all.

I'm also thinking of checkering the grip where the palm rests.
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
Lin, if you checker it, I would suggest the flat topped, English style checkering rather than "nicely pointed up diamonds". I just picked up a 28ga Browning pump and I can't shoot it without a glove on my left hand. Those diamonds are so sharp they hurt. My Ruger .375 H&H has softer topped diamonds and is comfortable. My old Husqvarna 30-06 carbine has really flattened diamonds and it still helps me hang on to it without being uncomfortable.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©