3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 60" vs 62" bows  (Read 367 times)

Offline khall1

• Trad Bowhunter
60" vs 62" bows
« on: October 16, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
Im now in the market (for some reason I dont know why) to buy a new bow and looking at a long bow this round.  Is there a significant difference in a 60" vs. a 62"?  My draw is 27" and looking at some in the 53-55# range.  
Thanks
Kevin
58" Great Plains-Red River 57#@28
60" Bob Lee-Hunter 60#@28
62" Toelke Whip 57#@28

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 60" vs 62" bows
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
LOL,

Kevin I was just pondering the exact same question at my 26.5" draw. Looking forward to hearing what some of the bowyers on here might have to say,, Thanks, Frank
Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
I think it depends on which "long bow" you are considering.  If it's a Hill style, definitely go long.  If a Centaur or Griffin or Shrew, then a 60" would work just fine for you.
Lon Scott

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
In my experience, a longer bow is more forgiving to shooter errors. Ive owned some wonderful 58" and 60" longbows, but have finally settled on 64" and longer because of consistency.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Most Bowyers would probably tell you to flip a coin.Its funny because some longarmed fellas like short bows ,and some shortarmed fellas like longer bows.Boils down to personnel preferance what you as an individual like.As you shoot more and try differant bows,you will develop a preferance,call it experience.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
I have a 28 inch draw and shoot a 64 inch Bamabow Elite Classic ("D" shape). In a reflex/deflex bow, I shoot a 62 inch Dwyer Dauntless. For reflex/deflex hybrid, I shoot a Dwyer Endeavor. As you can see I shoot three styles of longbows in three different lengths. Find what style of longbow you want to shoot and go from there. It is all summed up to personal preference and what works for you.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
I have about the same draw as you. In a Hill style that means you would want a 68" bow if it is straight or reflexed. You could use a 66" if it is a string follow (deflexed). This style of bow requires the length to match your draw length more closely than some of the others. In theory, a 27" draw should have a 67" bow, but those are harder to find than the even numbers, so round up. String follow allows you to reduce the length a bit.

I shoot a 58" Kanati hybrid and love it. I've had 60" and 62" bows and find no advantage in the extra length. If a bow is tillered and timed correctly and the grip fits you perfectly, it will be just as forgiving at 58" as anything longer. This relates to this type of bow at any rate (Kanati, Shrew, Lost Creek, Black Creek, Toelke Whip, etc.).

If you are talking a mild reflex/deflex, then you may want to go in between. In that style, 62" would probably be better.

Much of this depends on how you hunt. If you use a pop-up blind, shorter is better (easier at least). Out of a tree stand I have shot 62" bows with no issue, though shorter bows may give you a few more shot options. From the ground, either still hunting, stalking, or from a natural blind, I don't think the length is a huge factor. I've used a 66" bow from the ground and not felt inhibited by the length.

Okay, I guess that was a long winded way of saying you'll have to find what works best for you. Or you could be like many of us here and have several different lengths.   ;)
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
My main feeling on the length of bows is this:  If you are looking for the best in performance that at your draw a 60" bow is going to give you the most in performance and draw curve that someone with a 29" draw should get with the exact same bow in a 62" bow,  I hope that makes sense.  If you are looking for smoothness and not really worried about speed then the longer bow is the choice.  It's what you are looking for but I think with your draw length you will get the most out of a 60" bow with either performance and shootability.
Thanks

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
I find myself shooting longer bows better....I also have a draw of 29"....I think with your 27" draw, 64" would be a real sweet bow for you! You would not have to go longer.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
Ill go against the grain.  You need the shorter bow to let the limbs work to gain advantage to offset for your shorter draw.  It's the same way for me.  Talk to bowyers that build performance bows and I believe that they will tell you the same.

Good form will take care of the notion of  "forgiveness" in the bow length.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline khall1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
Thanks guys,  I guess the the bows I would be considering would be the Tolke Whip or the Cari-Bow only because the grip looks close to the recurve style.  Being only 68" my self would a bow at 64" be a bit long?  I have never shot one at that length.  Ontario,  what bow and length are you shooting?
Thanks
Kevin
62" Toelke Whip 57#@28

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
I meant to say that if you went longer I wouldn't go over 64". You will be fine with a 60 or 62 inch bow. I'm 5' 10" and shoot longbows that are 64-70" with no issues. I also have a few 62 and 64 inch bows that  I hunt with .
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline AngelDeVille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
I prefer the shortest bow that draws comfortably,.

Longer is fine if you are standing at a target range, but I tend to go where there are no trails, and longer bows get hung up in the bushes and trees.

I'm shooting a 55" bow with a 33" draw. I have tried longer bows that don't draw comfortably.

I did find a 50" that I liked, and it's next on my list....
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
I have experimented with 56" to 64" and I wear glasses. If I go with anything over 60" It pushes back my glasses so I can't see. It's the string angle that does it for me.
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
I too have a 27" draw and for years shot 58" bows. I shot the bows well, even competitively, and was successful hunting with them. I moved onto a 60" bow and found that I enjoyed the forgiveness and accuracy. I now shoot 62" bows as again I find I am even more accurate with them.

The biggest hurdle was getting used to shooting from a treestand with the longer bows. Not so much the bow itself but the string angle and my front leg. As much as I enjoy the ease of shooting a shorter bow, I seem to favour longer ones for the accuracy. Hope some of this helps....Ryan

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
Personally, I cant see 2" making a Whole Lot of Difference either way.  :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
I had a conversation with Dan Toelke today about his 60" and 62" new HS design Whips.  IN the past, they might have been a tad short for my 29" draw, but redesigned they would work just fine.

You could get away with a 58" with the HS design.

Much of it depends on exactly what you're looking for in regards to speed, smoothness, stability, maneuverability, etc.

I would talk to several bowyers and go from there.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by TxAg:
I had a conversation with Dan Toelke today about his 60" and 62" new HS design Whips.  IN the past, they might have been a tad short for my 29" draw, but redesigned they would work just fine.

You could get away with a 58" with the HS design.

Much of it depends on exactly what you're looking for in regards to speed, smoothness, stability, maneuverability, etc.

I would talk to several bowyers and go from there.
X2.
If you've narrowed your choice down to Toelke or Caribow, I'd call and talk to either/both of them.  They'll give you the most accurate assessment of bow length.
Like others have said, it really comes down to which model you're looking at.  As an example I've owned several Dwyer longbows.  My draw is 29" and the 60" defiant starts to stack a bit.  The 62" Dauntless is just fine, and the radical R/D endeavor at 58" was even better! so it really comes down to design.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
Adam and I were both surprised at the difference going from 62" to 64" R/D longbows. The extra 2 inches resulted in a much better feel drawing the bow and improved accuracy. You need to try these things for yourself, some of us will have preferences that you just can't anticipate without hands on experience.

Offline khall1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
Im not real concerned with speed but since it came up, will a longer bow be a bit slower at the same draw and weight?
62" Toelke Whip 57#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©