3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Easton Axis arrow advice please...  (Read 369 times)

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
Easton Axis arrow advice please...
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Gonna need new arrows, getting heavier recurve limbs.  57# @ 27in. , thinking of ST Axis 340 with HIT insert and 125 gr heads.  Total arrow wt 456 gr for 29" shaft.  For deer and hogs.  What do y'all think?  Thanks.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline AngelDeVille

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Easton Axis arrow advice please...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
What are you changing from? Would your old arrows work?

Do the hit inserts come with the shafts, or is it an extra expense?
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
My old arows are 500 spine, too weak, and the hit inserts are 16 gr., sold seperately. I want them for the extra weight up front and broadhead alignment.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline AngelDeVille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
As long as the bow is cut past center 340's might be about right, just be prepared to go heavier on the points if they are overspined. And don't  be too anxious to cut them down. That will stiffen them up.

If the shafts come with any type of inserts I'd just use the stock ones. A complete set of field points costs a little more than half of the price of a set of inserts. 16gr isn't worth $10+ in my opinion, and heavier broadheads are available too.

A field point test kit may be in order.
Sent via two tin cans connected by a string and a jailbroken Atari 2600

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
your better off with 400 spine and a 50/75grain insert..340 is real stiff
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
Go WOOD!!  :thumbsup:    You Wont Be Sorry!!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
If you're drawing 27" and using a 28" arrow, the 340's would be pretty stiff.  While I enjoy making, shooting and hunting with wood arrows, I think the Easton Axis arrow is one of the finest on the market.  I use a .400 Easton Axis shaft from a 59# @ 28 inch Super Shrew longbow that's cut 1/8 inch from center. The arrows had the 16 grain insert and 200 grain broadheads and arrows are 29.5 inches to back of point (BOP).  Total arrow was about 550 grains and is like a runaway freight train.  You're shooting less weight and if drawing 1 inch less, this will require less spine. It appears as though you're shooting a recurve and if its cut to center or past center, then that will require a stiffer arrow.  My hunch is that you will need 400 size at most, again depending on lot's of variables (centershot of bow, how long you leave your shafting, ect.). You should not be paying extra for inserts as they should come with the shafting-unless you're upgrading to a brass insert for more weight up front.  Most places  will charge for cutting and installing inserts however.  I get all my Axis shafting from Kustom King arrows (sponsor here). Tim Cosgrove, owner, has used Axis shafts for years now and is very knowledgable about them. Also, Bill Carlsen here on Tradgang is another Axis user who has a lot of experience, so listen to his advice if he posts.  I've been using them out of my bows for six or seven years now and so I've had some experience with them too.  

I'm currently using Axis 600's with 250 grains up front out of a 44#@28 inch Super Shrew with 29" BOP arrows. They fly perfect and if you look at some of the charts, they would call for a 500 size Axis shaft.  It would be good if you could get ahold of a 400 shaft and experiment with it first or perhaps inquire on getting some used on the classifieds here to try before investing in new.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
ps, you may want to edit the title of the thread to Easton Axis advice.  If you've not edited before, go up to your first post and click on the paper/pencil icon and it will allow you to change the title.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
I shoot my boblee that 51@28 with 400 with 250 up front . Hope it help
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
I think 340's would be too stiff unless you go real heavy on point weight. I am now shooting 58#'s and find that a 29" Axis with 200 grains is about perfect. We are basically shooting the same setup. There are variables but I think the 400's would work if you are willing to play with point weight to get them shooting well. If you need to experiment you can get a test kit from 3Rivers and try several different spines.  I can shoot 340's pretty well but they need extra point weight and I have learned to like the flatter trajectory of the 400's.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline T-D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
I shoot Axis FMJ 500 cut to 29 1/2 with brass hit insert and 175 tiger shark and they fly like bullets. They weigh 528 grains shooting 55@28". I have 400 axis but they were too stiff for my setup. I would at least go with 400's you can stiffin' those up if you need to which I doubt. JMO
Resident Hog Slayer

Offline Petrovic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
I think you might be surprised with what you can shoot. I have a 61 lb recurve and a 60 lb Toelke both shoot the same arrow, being an axis 400 at 30.5 inches, but i have 2 x 100g inserts and 225 grain tip. By the way stu's calculator tells me i am way underspined, but this has given me the best arrow flight I have ever had.

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
I would go with a 400 spine. 340 will be too stiff with that low of a point weight. A .400 will let you tune a little further with point weight.

My finding was I had to shoot 275grn. up front with 60@28 on my zipper foam core limbs ,and those are some powerful fast limbs.
Tyler C. Moore

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »
Easton Axis is a good shaft, but I also think a .340 will be too stiff for your set up unless you leave the shaft longer or go with more point weight.  You didn't say if you were going to use the brass or aluminum HIT insert, but even with the brass insert and a 125gr. tip on a 29" arrow I think you will be too stiff.

I'm shooting a 31" .340 out of my 57#@29" recurve and still need 225-250 grain points to tune well.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
Recurve Rookie....I see Ray Lyon already posted. Let me tell you what I do with spine questions...."Hey Ray, what should I shoot with this bow?"

The man is a numbers genius.Take his advice.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline bkbk12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
.340 will def be too stiff, a .400 at around 30-31" with around 175-200 up front will be dead on im guessing.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Razorbak:
your better off with 400 spine and a 50/75grain insert..340 is real stiff
That weight and draw is the same as my set up. 340s will be way too stiff.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the responses and good advice!  Feel free to keep them coming!
  Good Hunting

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©