3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fifteen  (Read 429 times)

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: fifteen
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
Sounds like you guys have done well with each other!  Great post Greg!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
gee i dunno you sound kinda selfish and crazeee!!
forcing him to do all those fun things an all  :D  

seriously though- whish i had a dad like you- that even thought as far as wanting to do something with me.
the older he gets , the more he will appreciate you.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
There is nothing wrong with any 16 year old that getting older, finding a job and starting a family won't fix as long as he has the right values. In the final analysis you can only give your children two things....Roots and Wings. If you have supported him with an open hand rather than a tight fist he will be fine. You, on the other hand, probably won't know the good things you've done vs. the things you could have done better until he comes to you with questions about his own kids. Looks like you have done more good than "bad"....most 16 year olds won't let you take a pic. But he actually hangs with you. I'm not too worried about him.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
2 years to fix all the things that are wrong with you....Gregg, will that be enough time....   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
Great post Gregg!

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
Really enjoyed that!!

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
I believe it was Mark Twain who said  “When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”?
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
It aint gonna happen!!...2 yrs probably aint enough time to fix you.  He's gonna be back from school one day, and your jaw is gonna hit the ground cause it'll hit you that he grew more into a man than when he left.

My son is going to be 26 next week and is going to be a father himself any day now, so lately, I've been doing a lot of reflecting on how far hes come. One chapter closes and another begins.

It looks like you're doing a heck of a job!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
Greg my friend, surely you have made a lot of mistakes as a man in your life. For example, choosing Widows as your go to bow, leaning toward the outlandish, flamboyant side with your choice of fur hats but I can see your still a damn good dad. How else would you explain him not running away from home after seeing you in that hat ?    :notworthy:

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
I have all of the same problems with my 16 year old except he outshoots me too.  LOL

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
Thanks folks!  Seems most of you got the message that I have a pretty neat kid if I can keep from messing him up too much in the time left to me.    :D  There are a lot of great fathers on this site.  I try to be one of them.  Some days I am better at it than others.  Last weekend was a great weekend where I got most of it right.    :archer2:  

Hunting lets us have that time together where it is something we do together and shed a little of our strict identities as father and son.  As hunters we treat each other a little different and are better for it.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
Awesome thread Greg.  I know well, from meeting you in Solana, Your children and wife are in awesome company.  

Makes me realize just how little time i have too.

Thanks for sharing.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    Great post Greg ... They grow up sooo fast
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
I know EXACTLY what you mean, Gregg...

My oldest son Kevin, is 22, Graduated college last spring, out of the house and "on his own"... He's turned into a VERY FINE young man!!!!! I'm VERY PROUD of him, and I love him dearly!!!

He doesn't hunt anymore...

It wasn't anything I did, or didn't "Do"... I gave him all of the instruction, and encourage ment, that I could. It's just not for him. He finds hunting "boreing" LOL! But, That's Ok... I love him anyway!!!!!

His brother Tyler is 13... Now I have a second chance. It won't be easy, My wife and I are getting a divorce, and Tyler will be living with me. This will mean more responsability for Tyler, and more times that I will be on his case. But, then again... We will have more time together. He's already started, all I have to do is keep the fire burning.

Good luck to both of you!!!!! and Thanks for shareing...
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
:campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
I'm glad to know that my thoughts from the weekend hunt with Reed have struck a chord with so many of my friends here on tradgang.  Somehow I knew they would.  ;)
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2012, 06:36:00 AM »
Gregg, I feel ya bro. Ive been doing a lot of looking back already even at my young whipper snapper age and I do declare, the time is  "Not Standing Broadside" its just flying by.

Due to my oldest boy Noah having little desire to bowhunt Im "Forced" do immerse myself in gun hunting again this year, birds and deer with what little spare time we can scrounge up. Since I havent done it in a while, I thought there'd be no zing and zest to the season but I was wrong. Im finding that Im hunting for time with him more than critters and fortunately for me the huntings turning out just fine. We will be in the Adirondacks together this weekend for the gun opener together and I promise to leave my beloved longbow home, at least in the club house.

Enjoy that boy of yours, your doing fine it appears. What a gift they are. Lucky me, Ive got 2 of them to ruin.    :campfire:

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2012, 07:15:00 AM »
Gregg, I am 2 years behind you and in the exact same boat.  Best we can do is give a good example and consistently force them to do the right thing in the right way no matter how many thousands of times we have to repeat ourselves    :D

Keep up the good work!

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »
Excellent post! Your son reminds me so much of my 15 year old and his brother. Your post brought tears to my eyes.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©