3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gonna have nightmares...  (Read 281 times)

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Gonna have nightmares...
« on: October 17, 2012, 12:49:00 AM »
I'll start a somewhat dragged out recap of my 2012 moose hunt...
(I thought i should share the pain).   :D

We left on the 28th of September, and drove north for the next 20 hours straight. We ended up at our location at noon the next day, and set up camp. For those map-inclined we were on the Eastern Side of Williston Lake.

An evening recce showed that moose were moving down into the river bottoms, but not yarding up yet. This meant bulls would be on the move looking for cows.  

Sunday and monday were cool, but windy. Bulls were seen every day, and were beginning to respond to calls, but none were legal. The zone we were hunting is an OTC bull zone, but it has to be a deuce,tri or ten.

Simply put, an immature bull with only two points on one side (forkhorn), a mature tri-palm bull (three points on one brow tine), or a bull with ten points on one side. A point has to be a full measurable point of one inch above the paddle contour, not a ripple or wave in the paddle.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gonna have nightmares...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:50:00 AM »
Tuesday i arrive back in camp to pictures of the little five point bull that was called right into camp at mid-day by my dad and another partner. Yup. RUT IS ON!

Wednesday night is when the snow hit. Six inches of snow. The snow and subsequent melt made the going cold and damp for the next few days, and it served to consolidate moose into pockets: A good news/bad news scenario. Bulls with cows become a different animal to call to.

The next few days had a few sightings across meadows and along willow draws, but nothing to get the blood really pumping.

Yet.

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:55:00 AM »
Saturday October 6th.
The temps have increased a bit, so the days are sluggish.

I decided to try a different area that afternoon, so i got dropped off at the head of an old logging spur and headed up into a draw that was situated in what on my map looked like a good bet.

The wind was doing the "crazy twisty" as i started to move through an old trail that paralleled a small drainage creek heading out of an old cut adjacent to a swamp.

I moved in about 300 yards and there it was! The smell of bull moose. I spent the next 20 minutes trying to dope the wind, and ponder a plan...

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 12:59:00 AM »
Well, when you don't know what you are doing, don't do anything.

I guessed at the prevailing winds for the rest of the afternoon (it was now 3:30pm), and hunkered down in the timber.

4:30pm-some timber breaking in the old cut 100 yards out.

5:25pm- an antler raking a spruce tree-same direction..

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 01:01:00 AM »
:campfire:
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 01:13:00 AM »
So far so good:)

:campfire:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 05:35:00 AM »
Darren, no matter the outcome of your success, the HUNT is what it's all about.    :wavey:
The brotherhood of man is taken too lightly. The brotherhood of the bow is not. --- Craig Stocker

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »
i hope you add some pictures also!  Good story so far!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
Darren ,
I hope the wind settles down and gives you the opportunity to take the animal of choice. Your being out and about is the main thing . I'm one province over and experiencing the same . Maxx
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
I waited until 6 to be sure the wind would hold until sundown and then began a series of soft cow calls.

The raking started again, and i could hear the bull moving slightly uphill moving quatering to wind.

I quietly repositioned to a spot with enough cover and some clear shooting lanes and began some soft raking of a spruce sapling.

This brought the first challenge grunt and more movement in my direction. I answere with a challenge grunt of my own, and then waited.

The footsteps coming through the regen were now in a steady cadence and seemed to be on track to where i wanted this bull to come in.

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
Forty yards out, the first flash of tines above the regen spruce. Clear, long tines on top of the left paddle. Looking good.

He started to veer slightly uphill again, so i grunted to swing him down. As he covered the last 25 yards he was in cover that prevented a good look at the rest of his rack.

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
There!! As if he had read the script he stepped out at (a later confirmed) fourteen yards and stopped. A slow headswing towards me, and i looked for a tripalm...two on the front of both.

Up with the binos to count points. He's still standing there, unable to scent me or see me. So close i can see clearly into his eyes. No matter how i looked, and how i counted, there were only seven above on each.

Nine!!!! Nine on both!!! NOT LEGAL!!!!

I stood and watched him for another full minute before he finally slowly turned and headed nose into the wind.

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
I stood there chuckling to myself for a few minutes, and then packed up and started the hike out as darkness began to fall.

I hunted for another two days, seeing solo cows that had already been bred, and a few small bulls (plus a herd of Caribou with a SPECTACULAR bull in it). The hunt was cut short due to a medical situation with one of the other guys, but hey, still a great ten days.

A solid A+ for technique and effort, but another year of moose tag soup...

I'll post pics tonight, so everyone can see some of that spectacular moose country.

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
And a special thanks to all my Canadian Brothers for the kind words and support.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
wow thats a crazy hunt! been waiting all day to see the rest of this story and am anxious to see the pics as well....
is it September yet??

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
Great hunt! Thanks for sharing. Thats a bummer he wasn't legal!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me last year around Dawson Creek area

under 15 yards and no way I could grow a 3rd brow tine on either paddle.  2 years before that it was a cow at 5 yards in Vanderhoof - immature only.

Oh well, the fun is in the chase, one day we'll connect!
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline D.Ellis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Good to see a few more BC guys on here.
You had better luck than I did, I didn't even see a moose. But the late, "any bull" archery season is yet to come.
You'll get im next time!   :thumbsup:
Darcy
60# GN Lil'Creep Jackknife
67# osage selfbow
62# "Zang Hill" string follow

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
Some pics as promised...
A lonely girl...

Home for the trip...

Tough to feel sad with this view...

Thanks again for coming along and sharing in the pain!

Offline stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
Man, Darren, that's some spectacular country. Thank you for the tag along.    :thumbsup:    :campfire:
The brotherhood of man is taken too lightly. The brotherhood of the bow is not. --- Craig Stocker

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©