3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Doug' Fir Shafts  (Read 313 times)

Offline PaulRoberts

• Trad Bowhunter
Doug' Fir Shafts
« on: October 17, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »
Douglas Fir make a good shaft? I hear good things but am leery of most softwoods. I do a lot of roving here in the Rocky Mountains and it is... well... rocky!

I heard good things about larch some years back and tried some. I liked it -for about a year. It appeared they went brittle as they dried and became VERY fragile. The last of them shattered on impact with straw bales. No kidding.

So far I use Sitka and for light bows and ash for heavier bows.

What does Doug' fir have going for it?

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Doug' Fir Shafts
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
Douglas fir in my opinion is about as close to a perfect wood shaft as you are going to find. I've been using Surewood shafts for a few years and have not broken very many. It is uncanny how straight they are and they stay straight despite fairly hard impacts. I've taken 3 critters with the same arrow and it is still usable. The only downside is they are a little tough to taper with blade type taper tools. The blades go dull fairly quick. Other than that they are perfect. I would definitly contact Surewood shafts. I am always pleased with their service.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline PaulRoberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
Thanks. What can you tell me about mass? What do shafts or finished arrows tend to weigh?

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
I shoot doug fir too.
I like em better than cedar and spruce. I even like em a lil more than ash.
Ash tends to be a good bit heavier and harder to straighten than fir...

I shoot a 29+" arra and usually end up about 600 or so.

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
Might want to look into poplar as well. It has a lot of desirable qualities that makes it a prime arrow shaft.
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
Look on the Surewood shafts website.  They list the average mass weights for each spine group.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
I had bought some doug fir shafts on that auction web site, had a good friend heading to Colorado this fall and sent a dozen shafts to him to fletch up, I was amazed when he told me they weighed in at over 700 grains! when he was done.  WOW and they flew awsome out of his bow.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
I shoot tapered douglas fir from snag, they are full length, 75-80lb spine and with 160gr broad heads weigh in at about 730 gr. I also agree with all the comments above. Great Shafts
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
What was said above-Great shafts
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
My new favorite shafts, I've bought a couple dozen "hunter" grade from Surewood and haven't had to straighten 1 of them. My finished arrows weigh around 625 for a 29"er...

When I stumped in CO I only broke 1 on a glancing rock shot that jumped out in front of my arrow.

They stain real nice too.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline PaulRoberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
Thanks all.

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
Always amazed at the beating my surewoods can take and continue to fly great, stay straight and not break. One tough shaft thats for sure, and great service too!!!!!! Not that there indestuctable but they are one tough shaft!!
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
I sure love Douglas Fir :thumbsup:makes great arrows.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
I been using them for about a year now 65-70# spine,Fantastic arrows,I think the best wood I've ever shot.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
Surewood makes GREAT shafts!
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
I am also shooting dougfir.  They do need straightening.  And some like all wood shafts need tweaking from time to time.    They do have great grain but at least in my experience explode when they do go.  I have shot a few critters and so far I like them though I do recommend spinning them ince they arrive.  

A comment was made about ash.   I think is one of the most under rated woods going!    There's little more durable and getting spine and weight in a smaller diameter wasn't hard at all.   Straightening is simple with heat.   Just be careful too much heat and you'll end up with noodles!  Ash doesn't stain as well as other woods though, maybe it's main short coming.   And if not sealed properly you'll end up with warpage issues as with all wood.   Ash is extremely porous compared to most arrow woods used today.  They will suck up water if you don't take the time to fill the holes!   I still have a few before Mike L closed his doors years ago.   Still straight as any other arrow I have!  We've hit steel plates with no breakage!   While Doug firs good. Ash is better imho.    My first ram shot with an ash arrow rolled a number of times before the arrow gave.   Upon retrieval it was bent more like you'd expect from alum!   Coming from a wood shaft at least for me it was quite impressive!     I've considered going back after a hiatus with cedar and now Doug fir, for some reason I haven't.   Though I doubt it will be to long in coming!

No comment on poplar.  It's a shaft I've considered trying but for whatever reason I haven't.    It's easy to find if u want to dowel it yourself something at least gor me is becoming more and more appealing

Offline PaulRoberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
Well... I love ash too. Have no reason or need to switch. Maybe the dryness here in CO helps. It also stains richly with Danish Oil.

Just curious about fir since it grows here so commonly. As I said I'm leery of softwoods, esp after my experience with larch and a similar (but not so extreme) experience a friend had with lodgepole. Sitka has proven itself to me and I'm still stumping with some shafts that have to be 8 years old now.

I've started to work up some poplar dowels, have some 5/16" straightened (pressure worked fine as its pretty soft wood), stained, and spined. I also have some 3/8" waiting to be reduced and tapered. We'll see what comes with it. I'm bothering bc of the price of Sitka now.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
i love doug fir as well...been shooting it since 90s.  have also shot ash, hickory, maple, sitka spruce, chundoo/lodgepole pine...and of course cedar.

I prefer douglas fir then sitka spruce or chundoo.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the Danish oil tip I will try to remember that !    I think you'll like Doug fir as a hole if u try it.   I've bought from both sure wood and allegheny now.  

I was shooting barrel tapered ash from silent pond.   Really shot well and the penetration I was getting was pretty pleasing to boot!    I don't mess with the efoc at all though I may tinker some with the Doug fir (barrel tapered footed).   What left a lasting impression on me was the durability and by far they have out penetrated any of my setups to date.  Still scratching my head why I switched other than footing ash is kind of pointless lol!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©