3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: climbing tree stands  (Read 563 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: climbing tree stands
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
I use the openshot, but don't use the seat most of the time. I leave it sitting down at my feet and stand or lean against the tree. No way anything can get in the way of a shot like that. If I do use the seat, I make it so it is kinda high which leaves my legs straighter and out of the way.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
I use the summit bushmaster which must have been the forerunner to the openshot. The seat bar on the left side can be in the way for a 7 o'clock shot behind if I'm not careful. Other than that it is light, easy to climb and comfy. The only change I could think of making would be the openshot seat section with my base.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
I like my modified Lone Wolf Hand Climber better than any climber I've used. It fits on the smaller size trees in the areas I hunt and is quieter than any stand I've used when it comes to hooking up and climbing trees. Doesn't snap or pop when in the tree either.

Also no arms or bars sticking out to worry about. I've got climbers with bars and handles on them, but won't use with my 64" recurve.

Next to it I use the Summit Open Shot top with an old Summit Bullet bottom..it has to have bigger size trees to fit on and the seat has been popping lately when I move around on it.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
Lone wolf hand climber here.  Small, light and easy to carry.

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
So far i am leaning preety heavy to the Treeawalker promag XL.
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple
Dwyer Original, Stewart Slammer, Bear Cub, TT Black Magic, RC Extremes, selfbows

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
I have 2 Summit Vipers. Very safe and easy to climb and descend with. All treestands have limitations. Whatever you get will limit you in some way. The trick is to learn from it and adapt to expand what you can do.

The bar on the Viper use to be a distraction for me. I use a ratchet strap and fasten the top section to the tree so I can lean on the bar without the top section moving. If I need to I can throw my left leg over the bar and sit on it to shoot behind if needed.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
Lone Wolf hand climber is my choice.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 06:36:00 AM »
My son and I use API bowhunters. They don't have a front bar. Very good stands, not sure why API's aren't mentioned more.

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
Check out X-Stand 'Sit & Climb.  Light, easy to climb and front bar folds out of the way.
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
Treestands are like bows; you have to try a bunch of them before you find the one that is right for you.  I have found that most are a compromise of some sort - easy to climb, comfortable to sit for longer periods, easy to shoot out of, light weight, etc.  I love the light weight, ease of climbing and the self-leveling feature of my Timbertall, but find that I just can't shoot with the bar of the climbing portion in front of me. The self-leveling is more important for the foot portion since you can generally readjust the strap on the climbing portion of most stands once you are at the desired height.  Therefore, I married the bottom portion of my Timbertall with the top portion of a Lone Wolf Sit and Climb.  The entire thing is light weight, quiet, very stable and easy to climb and shoot out of.  The only disadvantage is that the seat isn't as comfortable as some, but I can still sit for several hours without discomfort.  Some will ask why I don't use the bottom portion of the Lone Wolf.  That is an easy answer - its too heavy and I can't level it when I get to my desired height.  

I am just a tad older than you and use to use an open front hand climber top.  I found that as I get older I felt less safe with that arrangement when climbing and much prefer the sit and climb method vice grabbing the rails of the top climbing portion to pull myself up.  That is more tiring and I really like being able to just sit back on the bar and rest when I feel like it.

Offline Bent Rig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »
... find a used Loggy Bayou Lite climber - best that was ever made to present ! Strong , lite , quiet and rock solid !!
Paul

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©