3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: purely for speed!  (Read 597 times)

Offline bro-n-arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
purely for speed!
« on: October 17, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Has anyone had the chance to compare many r/d longbows close to identical spects thru the conograph. If so which ones are the fastest and how do they compare to the fastest recurves?
Psalm 71:18 Now also when I am old and gray-headed,O God, do not forsake me,Until I declare your strength to this generation.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: purely for speed!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
Take a look at our performance longbow testing we have on YouTube  and search the post here on tradgang.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
Recurves generally have the edge but not absolutely in all instances as revealed in the attachment.

Click on the 'X'.

>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
I have an RER XR 64@28 that I would like to shoot through a chrono. I don't have any real testing experience, but it will zip an arrow. It is noticibly faster than my 70@28 Robertson Purist.

God bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline PaulRoberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
I've been looking back through my TBM issues and there are a lot of bows tested. What is interesting is all the bows tested run 180 to 190 fps.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
Most if not all high performance aggressive deflex reflex longbows will shoot somewhere in the neighbor hood of 180-190 with a 9 gpp arrow. I personally don't have much experience with moderately d/r bows but I would expect them to run maybe 4-5 fps slower and another 4-5 fps for straight limbed bows. That said this are mostly numbers for bows with wood cores and maybe a carbon strip as the core lamination. I truthfully have no idea about the speed for carbon and foam limbed bows.
James Kerr

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
Blacky has done a lot of testing. One tip for what it is worth: a fine bow is like a great woman; if you love a bow don't chrono it!

Offline Stoutstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 01:28:00 AM »
I sure like my Black Swan 58" Hybrid. Bought it mostly for speed and tech. Never chrono'd and will probably take Bjorn's advise with this smooth, sexy one!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 04:40:00 AM »
When we are talking of hunting distances 20-25 yards for hunting i don't think the speed is the most desired feature on any kind of bow,but from lots of reviews the slowests and the fastests don't have a so big gap.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
2X what Bjorn said!

Kris

Offline grayfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
I have compared my Cyclone against a very high priced carbon bow i have and the Cyclone is faster and smoother.I used my pro chrono .Paid almost $1300 for the carbon bow.But everyone probable has a bow they like to shoot more anyway, mine is my Cyclone.

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
Even from very slow to very fast, the bow that you enjoy shooting the most should always be your pick. However, when dealing with poundages and short draws that could put you on at the bottom end of needed power, speed counts.  I have shot a deer with a 36@26" Hill longbow, and left the arrow into the next corn row on a 9 feet up to the deer and 18 yards out shot. For the someone sitting 15 feet up in a tree stand, that would not be my first choice for a bow, if that were my spec limitations.  My wife's 38 pound, at her draw, Lost Creek NAT shoots right with what the Stu Miller chart says it should shoot, that makes it pretty quick.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
Apparently not all Chronograps are created equal as there have been a number of posts here by shooters getting a good bit more speed than Blackie Schultz did when testing the same bows for Traditional Bowhunter Magazine. Also I.M.O. a well-mannered QUIET bow is awfully nice.

Offline Shawn Rackley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Agree with bjorn all the way. Some years ago i chronoed some of my "speedy" bows and was shocked. Needless to say no more chronoing. Lol ignorance is bliss.

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
I used to worry a lot about speed. If it is speed you want  a 64" RD longbow with  at least .04 taper limbs, a very narrow but very deep limb stack, rigid tips and a long riser (short working limbs) will smoke any recurve I've ever seen. Put some carbon skins on it and if it doesn't explode it will be even faster. I have built a fair number of hot rods and this is the tried and true formula. This type of bow is the only one I've seen that will reliably shoot over 190 fps at 10 gpp and 28" draw through a shooting machine.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 06:26:00 AM »
Try a Sasquatch R/D longbow, you will be amazed at the speed and cast.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline twistedlim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
Seems almost the wrong forum to ask about speed.  Never give it a thought other than trying to match arrow spine to the bow.  At the range most of us shoot at speed is of no concern.  You will drive yourself crazy or 5 feet per second.

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
Twistedlim,  speed is hardly the most important aspect of a bow but all things being equal increased cast will allow you to shoot a more lethal (heavier) arrow at the same draw weight and trajectory your mental computer is calibrated to recognize. I think that's a good thing and worth discussing on powwow.

Offline William Penn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
If speed is an issue for a shooter, then the fastest bow I have ever shot is a Whippenstick Phoenix. Next fastest was a John Fazio Ballistick. Then, Border Black Douglas.

Dave Heniff's Hitman Bows and I get along real well for accuracy. Plenty fast, too.

Most accurate? Got a Dave Johnson Hill Style bow that hits the mark even when I am not looking at it. Slow in comparison but I keep chipping arrow nochs with the Dave Johnson.
Bill

"The problem with information obtained, via the Internet, is determining if the information is genuine." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Bro-Arrow,
          You will get a lot of comments about speed not being important, however,if it wasn't important, then why do so many new bow owners and bowyers start out their descriptions with these words: Smooth, fast, stable, quiet. Speed is important and I will take a "fast" bow over a "slow" one anyday.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©