3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is some fiberglass for limbs more transparent/better quality?  (Read 253 times)

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
Is some fiberglass for limbs more transparent/better quality?
« on: October 17, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Hello,
I have a good selection of longbows and recurves from different makers. I've noticed that, finish aside (frosted or matte or glossy), some makers' limbs show off the wood much more than others.
I have an older Abbott yew longbow that looks like it has no glass, same with my Widows, and others where the extra-figured wood was a surcharge, and you can barely see it, it's even streaky.
Is there something I should ask for in particular, for future reference?
Thanks!
Marco

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is some fiberglass for limbs more transparent/better quality?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
Marco, Not really , If they are using Gordons clear glass we get the same. Thickness of glass used makes a difference./ Thinner and you see the wood a bit better but then its more prone to show any lines too. Honestly its just a tossup as to how good of glass you get. When I get glass with streaks in it I cull it if its too bad but with some batches you would have to throw the entire batch away./ I honestly cannot give an answer except that some bowyers keep the clearest glass for bows getting a high gloss finish which shows everything.
God bless, Steve

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
I have wondered about this also, and from what I have heard it is a tossup like what Sixby says. All the bowyers use pretty much the same manufacturer or something, and supposedly it's hard to even tell how good it is going to be until it is on the bow...

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
I have always heard that it is a toss up as well. I have been lucky and never had any streaked or cloudy fiberglass on any of my bows. Since it is something that most of the time is uncontrolable I would never blame the bowyer for it. Clear glass just seems to have a few minor imperfections in it from time to time.
James Kerr

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
Well, that's too darn bad. I understand the problem, but I guess there's no solution to it.

Do some finishes work better in general? Glossy vs. matte? Glossy seems better to showcase wood (worse for glare).

Thanks!

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
As far as strweaks go, darker woods show them much more than lighter woods.  Like Steve said, its a toss up.  And very annoying when you uncover the streaks that didn't jump out at you before gluing up the bow.

Java Man
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
I recently talked with the president of Gordon Glass about the culling process they go through before it it even goes out to the distributors.

You would be amazed at how much glass goes into the dumpster due to lack of clarity.

I've done a lot of experimentation taking different glass thicknesses and grinding them down with a drum sander to see if i could salvage some of the stuff with streaks or cloudy areas.

During the course of my grinding experiments I've actually salvaged some of this glass by sanding the finished side of the glass..... but i learned the hard way about grinding perfectly good looking clear stuff too much.... if you want .020-.025 glass for use over veneers over carbon, you are much better off buying .030 glass and sanding both sides .005 than trying to bring .040 down in thickness.

Some say they have better luck with the UL glass than the ULS which has "Scrim" in it. I've seen very little difference myself between the two.

The bottom line is a bowyer just cannot guarantee absolutely clear glass, any more than Gordon Glass can. You'll notice they do not use the word "Clear"... They use the word "Transparent" in their description.

The good news is,  Gordon Glass is constantly working hard to get a more consistently clear glass for us to use. I got info that right from the top. kirk

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
Thanks Kirkll!
So is a glossy finish better? 60's style...
Thanks!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©