3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sometimes, that Bling dont mean a thing.  (Read 315 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Sometimes, that Bling dont mean a thing.
« on: October 18, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
Just wondering if any of you have experienced this?
Over the years of spending way to much money on a large number of finely crafted and beautiful bows,  my favorite go to bows are the ones that were bought used, traded for, old, handsome, (but not beautiful), and cost the least.
Kinda funny how sometimes the bows that work best for an individual, were once someone elses diamond in the rough.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sometimes, that Bling dont mean a thing.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
I haven't bought a new bow in 43 years, all used. I did, however, buy a new ******** Titan III riser. I like it a lot.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
All my bows have been used. Can't say they have been cheap but all built for someone else. But yes my go to bow was someone elses diamond first!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
Moleman,

I think we must be related.  I have a thing for the best up ones myself.  My Hoyt trophy looks like its been thru the dump yard but I shoot that bow like a stud.  It just fits so well. I even traded off my prom queen NM shelto because of how much I love the trophy. I
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Shot once, any bow is used and good as new. As long as there's the classifieds I'll more likely stick to second hand. The only exception would probably be to patronize one of our many fine sponsors. A scratch or two is fine because a huntin we will go! Nothin like braggin rights on a vintage yard sale find either.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
I have gotten a bunch of used bows......Best way to try out different kinds with out spending a ton of money. I bought a Holm-Made bow used, and since have had Chad build me two others. But there is nothing wrong with a bow that didn't work for someone else!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
I've had both. My go-to is my Kanati that was custom made for me and my Orion recurve, the limbs of which were custom made for me. The Orion is a little of both, I guess.

I've bought, sold, and traded more bows than I can remember, even one custom bow made for me. The Kanati in my signature isn't going anywhere...ever. I've got a beautiful RER on the way, previously owned by ron w and most recently by kat.

Okay, I'm a bowaholic. I readily admit that. I've also got a hickory board bow (Hill style) with silk backing. I made that one myself and it is fun to shoot as well.

I guess for me, if the bow fits me and I can hit consistently with it, I don't care how I acquired it or how pretty or ugly it is.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
Yep, often the ugly ones shoot as good as the perty ones.  However, I have found the ratio of  perty bows that shoot really nice higher than the ratios for the ugly ones.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 11:39:00 PM »
I'm not too big on clear glass and fancy veneers anymore.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline William Penn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
I have bought new, took the depreciation hit, and sold.

Bought used, shot for a long time, then sold for about what I paid.
Bill

"The problem with information obtained, via the Internet, is determining if the information is genuine." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Currently, the two bows I shoot are both "custom" bows. Neither were built for me, but the specs work for me and there was a lot less wait time. I'm confident i could sell either for more than I paid. Interestingly enough the one i shoot the best is sorta ugly. Gray hickory riser with zebrawood limbs, the finish isnt great but its a shooter! Ive shot many vintage bows that blew me away as well.
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »
There is nothing wrong with second hand gear!

However, when it comes to firearms and bows I tend to buy new.  If it is second hand it has to be like new.  As in you bought it last week, it sat in the box and you sold it to me this week.

There is one reason for this.  I have a huge dislike for equipment failure especially out in the field be it a hunting trip, fishing trip, or a job.

With bows I don't know if it has ever been dry fired and if so how many times or has had light weight shafts shot through it for years.  With firearms I don't know if they have had "over spec'd" loads run through them.  Far to many peeps only interested in "how fast" can we make it go.

Your gear will only come apart in your face once before you can actually tally the "savings".
"A man is best judged by what he does when nobody else is watching."

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
Sometimes bowyers hate me. I want the plainest, dullest, wood possible.

I recently ordered a Baraga from Steve Turay. I told him "save the pretty wood for someone else".   :bigsmyl:
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
I hate when they have a whole,bunch of different fancy woods in them and they get cleaned off after every time out... I agree the bottom line always shot as good if not better than the fancy....
"Us vs Them"

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
It's not just you... A while back my wife bought me TWO high-end custom jobbies... I dig 'em but shoot my "new-to-me" bows better! Go Figure.  :dunno:

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
Yep, I have no problem at all shooting a used bow, the deer are just as dead with new or used.

Offline koops4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
My current bow is a second (plus) hand recurve.  I purchased this bow at the Kazoo show a few years back.  I love this bow and the way it shoots.  It really flings the arrows.  The bad thing is there is no name on the bow so I am thinking that it is a home made bow.  The only other bows that I have are board bows that I made myself.
Paul

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
On the other hand sometimes  the plain model in a line up shoots as good as the fancy ones....
    I had one of the Legends bows, I think it was the Mountain bow model, camo painted. I shot that thing pretty well, and I did not have to worry about scrating it....
    It shot like it was the fancy one..LOL
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
I would like to have a new Longbow, but I just can't see spending the money on a new one anymore. I have decided to let other people pay full price for them.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
Absolutely. I've been to the extreme end and back. I don't buy a new custom because I think it will improve my ability.(I used to think that!) Now if I get one it's just because I love the bowyers craft, and only if I can justify the money.
But I hunt with both, and am just as confident with my second hand beaters(if not more) than my most expensive customs.
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©