3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting whitetails on a rainy day?  (Read 374 times)

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting whitetails on a rainy day?
« on: October 19, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
Well, I've finally got a day off of work tomorrow and there is nothing I'd rather do than spend the day in the deer woods.

But, tomorrow is also going to be a wet, foul day.  No downpours, just spitting and sputtering.

What are your experiences hunting whitetails in foul weather?  Do you find they hunker down more?  Do you see activity in between passing showers?  Or if the precipitation is light, is it a non-issue?

I'm curious to see what others have to say on whitetails and wet weather.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting whitetails on a rainy day?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
The deer live in it everyday so unless it is storming hard I don't think rain affects them to much. It does make tracking after the shot very difficult though.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
As said above...not much different unless a heavy storm. I've shot a lot of deer on wet days.
David M. Conroy

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
I'm mostly a fair weather hunter myself. Don't mind cold, but hate sitting in the rain. Anyway, in my limited experience, a light rain with little or no wind isn't an issue. Add in high wind and you might as well stay home. Of course you have to be on extra high alert, with the sound of the rain and wet leaves, they can be by you before you ever know they're there.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
i personally love the soft rain- washes out the old track- gives you a clean slate- and makes all the fallen fall leaves soft and quiet, easy stalking, suppresses scent- all in all a great hunting time for me.
 just when the wind is howling, the deer like to hide out a bit and lay low.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
Actually, all animals smell better in the rain. And I dislike the possible prospect of a difficult recovery with rain. . .   HOWEVER- a cold drizzly/wet day is some of the best hunting in my book.  Some of my best days are the hours/day right after a solid day or two of hard rain. Some days I check hourly with the local NOAA radio call in. I have waited with a big poncho under a good cedar tree ready to get in the stand the moment the heavy rain reduces to a drizzle or ceases.  The woods can come alive in amazing ways!

Good hunting
Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »
Took my biggest buck in a steady drizzle.  Perhaps it was just chance, but a slight bit of rain and ever since I'm itching for the woods!  Good day to sit on a scrape line.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 02:58:00 AM »
You can't get a deer unless you're in the deer woods!  Like previously mentioned, I too have had luck in the rain. Unless it is miserable out, I'd say go for it if you can stand being wet. This year, just about every day I have been able to hunt, it has been raining. The moist air does allow for better ol factory perception, so mind the wind. And if your forecast is like mine, then it should clear up in the late afternoon. A perfect time to be out with bow in hand. The deer will most likely be moving, but maybe not in their usual patterns. Good luck.  I'll definitely be out. A little rain never hurt me before.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 06:56:00 AM »
Killed my first Buck with a bow during a steady rain.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 07:25:00 AM »
If I have limited hunting time then a drizzle is not going to keep me out of the woods but if time is not a factor I like to wait it out and be there as soon as it stops providing its day time.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »
Most of the "action" I've had was in the rain or light snow fall... Woods are quiet... I can still hunt quietly head to head on a deer trail... Things can happen fast too... Just the way I like it!

I get busted a lot! Whatever...  :dunno:

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
Taken some of my best bucks and bulls(elk), in the rain. That was when I lived in Washington state. Not much choice there.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
besides, you can only get wet as far as yer skin anyway.

Offline Butternutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
I like to spot and stalk in the rain. Killed a nice 8pt pie ball in a down pour in his bed at 20 yards . Wish I knew how to post pics of him.  Don
Blackwidow PSA 60"46@28
Toelke Whip 60"44@28
Toelke Classic 58"41@28
Blackwidow PTF V 58"51@28
=})})}=LAWMAN=>

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »
I enjoy hunting in the rain, like most, I would rather have a light rain falling. I have had some great hunts under those conditions.  

Regarding rain and high winds, when I lived and hunted in Michigan, Florida, and Texas, it was clear that they would hunker down until things settled. Where I live in South Dakota, and on my trips to Montana there is always wind!  Rain or shine, still days are always out numbered by windy days. The deer in these places continue to "do there thing" regardless.

We have just had two and one half days of wind and rain that pushed gusting winds up to 50 miles an hour. I have observed deer moving through normal patterns on each of those days.

I do, limit my shot selection on those days. Preferring to hunt from the ground, either stalking, or from a hide. That double lung is always important, but doubly so under continuously precipitation.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
I dont  hunt in the pouring rain, but when it does rain hard, i get out right after the rain. I have had good luck right after a hard rain.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
I don't let it keep me indoors.  I have shot quite a few deer in the rain.  Passed on a 4 pointer this morning at under 10 yards while a pretty good shower was coming down.  Drying out right now.

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
Love to be in the woods on a cold, rainy day; I carry my arrows in a fully contained back quiver to keep feather fletching dry; I have good rain gear clothing; a rainy day is the best for still hunting and one can almost be sure that he will have the woods to himself; not many hunters get out in the rain but I sure do and love it.

:campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Chuck

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 06:52:00 AM »
I was out in the rain/drizzle last evening. Saw 5 deer but no antlers. It was very noisy in the bush with a bit of wind and the rain hitting the leaves that were still on the trees. All sight hunting as you couldn't hear anything walking. Still good to get out to see what was happening.   :thumbsup:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©