3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: if you could do it all over again , What different?  (Read 964 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
if you could do it all over again , What different?
« on: October 20, 2012, 02:31:00 AM »
traditional bowhunting ( or trad archery to those that don't hunt) . what would you do different? Three under? Or shoot a self bow first?

mine is easy......wished I would have taken a lot more pictures of friends and acquaintances at all the trad functions/ banquets/ camps over the years.....so many good times....
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: if you could do it all over again , What different?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 04:04:00 AM »
start trad earlier.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 04:47:00 AM »
I'm going to get flamed for this...  BUT.

I would have never picked up the first TBM mag.  I would have stripped all the junk off my compound, and shot it barebow, 3 under.

I would have told both worlds to F off and shot 3D matches and bowhunted for my whole life and never gave a squat what anybody thought.

But there was Schafe, and the Wensels, Ed Dowdy, Matt Riley, Rosey, and Dick, who all had some influence, and now here I am.  A pretty damn good barebow shooter and fair bowhunter, whose got a ton of stories with a recurve in God's country.  

The bow is just a vessel, and we are all travelers.  Don't take the non-conformist thing too far, or you'll be another radical conformist.

Hippy rant off...

Offline flyne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 05:42:00 AM »
I wish i had Stop switching from compound with all the trimmings to trad every 6mths for the past 18 years  and just setteled and shot trad from the get go I would have saved at least 30 grand lol
If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.         (Fred Bear)

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 06:53:00 AM »
Dan good post. I felt the same way... I am very grateful ro gave been introduced to the other simpler side of Bowhunting. Even on the trad side we can get caught up in the gadgets and the faster/stronger draw of technologies.

Joe more pictures and more journal entries.
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
I think Dan summed it up rather nicely.

Offline ghall80

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »
Dan the man !! i am with you brother 100%
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway--JOHN WAYNE

Offline ghall80

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
Ok glad i got a recurve 10 yrs ago wish i had done it sooner. I wish i had not played with so money different bows and found my go to bow sooner. A lot of money was wasted in those 10yrs and just found my bow of bows!

great thread !!
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway--JOHN WAYNE

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
I started in archery at 10 y/o.....40+ years later I got a coach.     :knothead:
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
Joined the PBS when I picked up the bow and started seeing the "I'm the PBS" ads.  Since there was no internet then and I didn't know other folks that hunted with trad equipment, it took me way too long to find all my brothers of the bow.  Going to a PBS banquet 15 years ago would have changed a lot for me.  
The other thing would be buying points out west earlier than I started.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
I started off snap shooting too heavy a bow many moons ago. Did this for a few years and was very inconsistant, therefore passed  on some really nice animals on some very expensive hunts. I knew nothing of correct form till I started shooting FITA/target, then applied the basics to my hunting bows.
Boom, it all came together.
Wish I started that way.
David M. Conroy

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
I was too picky in the early 80's.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
I would have taken shooting lessons from someone who knew what they were doing before I ever started shooting!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
Put the recurve down in the late 70's and early 80's to rifle hunt up north, good learning experience, but never knew how much I missed bowhunting with a traditional bow. One of the reasons I have only had one shot opportunity since 1971! As they say to old to quick, to smart to late!   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
I wish I would have found a Rod Jenkins kinda guy to teach me "old time archery" and proper form rather than trying to teach myself thru reading "instinctive" shooting books. That and actually going to Bighorn to get fitted for my first recurve where they set me up with a 60# as a nineteen year old kid...should have stayed in Michigan and picked up a home grown #45 Super Kodiak!

Hunting wise, I wish I would have bought a chunk of land here at home where I could safely spend my old age when I was young.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
I don't think I'd change a dad burn thing myself....Why cut to the chase, when you can experience all the little transitions along the way?

There's a great write up on "the 5 stages of a hunters evolution" i really enjoyed reading that could be applied to archery in general for those who are not hunters in many ways. ( See The age thread going right now)

a professional fighter doesn't wear the world champs belt by winning all his matches. He gets there by getting his ass kicked enough to move beyond that stage and avoid the errors he made along the way.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
When I started in '86 I went to the local sports shop to buy a recurve.

ANY BRAND NEW BEAR RECURVE WAS $20!

I had no idea what I was looking at and picked a Black Bear #45. I'm sure there were Super Kodiaks as well as all the other models but I picked one that felt OK in my hand.

If I could do something different it would be to borrow the money if I had to and buy every single bow the store had.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
I wish I never would have picked up a compound.  Im sure Im not alone here.  I started at 11 with a 35# Bear Cub.  Graduated to a 45# Grizzly at 15.  Then fully drank the compound Kool Aid at age 19.  It was kool aid too.  As much as I shot that compound it was never as easy and quick to hit a target.  I kept telling myself this was superior to old recurve in every way.  Not so much.  It was very accurate though and only took a short time to become so.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
I should have not left traditional archery for 10 years to shoot a compound barebow. It just never fit me right. I was always thinking of going back it just took me longer than I thought.

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
I don't believe I would change a thing, this journey has been great! Even-though i'm not a very good shot or a good hunter, I enjoy every minute. If the time comes when it isn't fun any more then I'll hang it up. "Trying to master this sport is a great journey"
Conny

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©