3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: if you could do it all over again , What different?  (Read 965 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: if you could do it all over again , What different?
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
I would have been lucky enough to have been able to find a mentor that could bring me into it.  I started 6 years ago and its all been on my own with the unwaivering assistance of tradgang.

Aside from that, I started with a #45 longbow.  Should have started at #40.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2012, 02:30:00 AM »
Like RC Wish I kept a journal just now starting one. Make my stand on the other side of the orchard last night.  :banghead:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2012, 06:09:00 AM »
I wish I had never picked up a compound when they first came out and had not missed those years with recurves and longbows.Luckily I started looking at Tradgang and got the urge to get back. Thanks so much everyone.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline PERUN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2012, 06:22:00 AM »
Well I took care not to introduce ex-wife. I'd started earlier to shoot with a bow.
Perun hybrid 62" 60#@29"

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2012, 06:49:00 AM »
As I read all these aforementioned regrets, and reflect upon my own, I am left to ponder; what are WE going to do different during our remaining time on this earth?
"Would have, could have, should have", etc., all fine and dandy. But what steps are we all taking to do things differently today? No one gets a do over, but we can still change our future.
 My biggest Archery related regret? Well, I started stick & string in the late 70's as a child, so I started early enough. My mistake comes from the early 1990's. I wrote to Jack Howard, requested a catalog and was seriously considering buying a Gamemaster recurve from him. The price scared me away and I bought a PSE Blackhawk T/D (Samick), which has been a great hunting bow for 20 years, but it is no Howard Gamemaster!
 Now, looking back, I WASTED far more $$$ on "wine, women & song" (and guns too), than a custom Gamemaster bow and a trip out West would have cost. I WASTED some serious dough, and I mean wasted it, although I sure did have some fun along the way!
 But now, in my mid 40's, don't I wish that I had flown out West, met Mr. Howard, shook his hand, spent some time with him, learned from him and paid him to make me a bow. "Would have, could have, should have"... That time has elapsed, and now Jack is gone.
 We only travel this path once. At this point in my life, I focus on the future and try to think things through as much as possible. No more regrets.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2012, 07:28:00 AM »
Keeping a journal and more pictures would have been nice.

Early in my hunting career, I was "shown" what to do. I wish I would have done my own thing earlier in my career than I did.

I was told baiting is the "only way to bowhunt", and I wasted alot of time sitting in a tree guarding sugar beets and corn. I did kill a few deer, but I was missing out on the part of learning deer biology.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »
I wish, back in 1966, I would have started with a lighter bow. I wouldn't (still) be struggling with snap-shooting some 46 yrs. later !

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
Excellent post!

Originally posted by Hit-or-Miss:
As I read all these aforementioned regrets, and reflect upon my own, I am left to ponder; what are WE going to do different during our remaining time on this earth?
"Would have, could have, should have", etc., all fine and dandy. But what steps are we all taking to do things differently today? No one gets a do over, but we can still change our future.
 My biggest Archery related regret? Well, I started stick & string in the late 70's as a child, so I started early enough. My mistake comes from the early 1990's. I wrote to Jack Howard, requested a catalog and was seriously considering buying a Gamemaster recurve from him. The price scared me away and I bought a PSE Blackhawk T/D (Samick), which has been a great hunting bow for 20 years, but it is no Howard Gamemaster!
 Now, looking back, I WASTED far more $$$ on "wine, women & song" (and guns too), than a custom Gamemaster bow and a trip out West would have cost. I WASTED some serious dough, and I mean wasted it, although I sure did have some fun along the way!
 But now, in my mid 40's, don't I wish that I had flown out West, met Mr. Howard, shook his hand, spent some time with him, learned from him and paid him to make me a bow. "Would have, could have, should have"... That time has elapsed, and now Jack is gone.
 We only travel this path once. At this point in my life, I focus on the future and try to think things through as much as possible. No more regrets.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
Just like a lot of the others, I wish I would have started traditional bowhunting sooner...  although I guess it took time to get me to switch I enjoy bowhunting on a different level now.  :archer:

Offline blktail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
Wish I would have hung up the compound sooner than
 9yrs ago.There was so much I was missing without my longbow but did'nt realize it. Those days are gone and enjoying so much more now. A shot at an animal or not. There is no day in the woods
that turns out dissapointing.   :)    :)    :)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
I'm still terrible about taking pictures of my hunts and my two boys out in the field.  Wish I would have taken a lot of pics.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
I'm still terrible about taking pictures of my hunts and my two boys out in the field.  Wish I would have taken a lot of pics.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Gila Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
I've made some mistakes in other aspects of my life but I'm mostly satisfied with my career as an outdoorsman and archer. I never got into the wheels and cables thing but I did spend a lot of time hunting with a rifle when I could have been hunting with one of my bows instead.

Truly, the only regrets I have in more than 50 years as an archer and bowhunter, are that I don't still have the first two bows I owned when I was a kid. I still have (and shoot) all the rest but I wish I had those first two also.   :(  

Mike
  :archer:
"Hunt ethically and in fair chase. You'll know the feeling when you have done it right!"  .......(Glenn St. Charles, Bows on the Little Delta)

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
I wish I had started left handed and had sought out help. I learned that I'm not a very good teacher haha

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
I wish I'd learned a whole lot sooner that there is a difference between the best bow for shooting 3D/targets and the best bow for hunting.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
I would have had more money so I could have afforded better bows when I was young -- back in the days when "traditional archery" had no meaning, because all bows were either recurves or longbows! And Fred Bear would have been my dad!!!!!!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
All the money spent chasing the "magic-bow" back to put towards hunting trips!
Longbows & Short Shots

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
Nothing.  I've enjoyed most all of my past experiences with archery.  Those that I didn't enjoy, I learned from and appreciate the gained insight.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
One of my biggest regrets was not having my parents take of picture of me with my Ben Pearson longbow when I was 11. My second regret is loosing that bow somewhere, I can't remember what happened to it.

The third regret is not taking pictures of my early traditional hunts in the 60s/70s because we hunted a military installation where security was strict and cameras weren't allowed in the secure areas.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
One thing I don't regret is my journals. I have every hunt, bow shoot, family event, etc recorded ever since I put down the compound 25 years ago.

I do regret not taking more pictures. I just don't like to be bothered with a camera.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©