3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2012 kennym lease hunts 6 DOWN  (Read 4221 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2012 kennym lease hunts 6 DOWN
« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
The closer she got the more sure I was that she was headed toward the gap on my left. I turned my bow in that direction and stood ready.

Finally she stood at the entrance to the little lane that was the trail to the fence crossing. With plenty of room in my freezer at home I eyed the plump little critter.

She stood calmly surveying her back trail as if to be sure that the boys weren't following. Her tail flipped twice and I knew she'd be moving.
What happened next made me chuckle. With a playful hop she bounded past me and lightly sailed over the fence and out of sight. It still makes me smile.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Even in the heat it was obvious that rut behavior was gathering intensity. I noticed a fresh rub along a brushy draw in the middle of the field one morning and that afternoon found a fresh scrape along the woodline I followed to my stand.

That this activity was happening well after dark I had little doubt. All I could do was bide my time and put in the hours on stand.

I even put a stand up in the little wood lot that held the oak which dropped acorns on the county road. I think I was too late with that plan. The acorns appeared to be gone as best as I could tell.

Then one evening I was sitting there counting hedge apples on a tree across the way when I heard the unmistakable sound of a squirrel foraging in the leaves to my right rear.

What's that old saying about "fool me once"? I turned slowly and carefully, straining a not so limber neck to see what was close behind me.

Bingo!! A small, lone, doe moved slowly in the direction the group had the other day. I looked around but saw no others.
It was stopped now and staring off across the fence toward the tree farm. I thought possibly it could be mama and twin or even a lusty buck, but saw nothing.

After a long time standing still the doe flipped her tail and turned all the way around. I knew instinctively that she would cross the ditch and come up onto the trail to my left.

I swiveled around, grabbed my bow and released the tooth pick/rubber band arrow holder. She could turn toward the fence and I'd have no shot, but since I figured she'd come from that way I doubted she would do that. I was right.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: November 02, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
I don't normally like to stop a deer like they do in the TV programs, but this deer was moving with a purpose. I gave a low whistle and she stopped just as I hit full draw.

In the fading light the arrow was a mere flicker in the gloom. I had the sense that the hit was further back than it should have been and the doe lit out like the devil was after her.

I watched as she followed a similar path as the one I'd shot just days before (red line). She was headed to the same spot, but like her predecessor she didn't make it (yellow line).

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: November 02, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
Well done Charlie!!!  Great story and pictures   :)  

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: November 02, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
I texted Terry that we had business to take care of and was standing by the trail as he came putting up on the 4 wheeler... when used as the tool they are I love them. It sure saved my old achin back from the drag. I just hate to see them misused when leaving boot tracks is more appropriate.

When we opened her up I found that the shot was indeed off the mark. Most likely the bow string had hooked a button on my bibs which always throws the arrow left and up.

The modified STOS (I added a bleeder) had done it's job and reinforced why I like a multiblade head. I don't know if it was the main blade or the bleeder that cut the dorsal aorta on it way through, the fact is that one of them did. Would a two blade have slipped on through without cutting it? Absolutely, maybe!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: November 02, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
Woohoo!! Love me some does!! I too know when that feeling that sometimes comes, as if we just know what the deer has planned, but actually comes together sometimes too!!

Terry, your right, it did get hysterical!! I actually laughted out loud when I read it. I guess it's because we have all missed like that (maybe not 4 times) as if we started this journey yesterday....

God bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
I only hope I look that good on that 4whlr Charlie!! Love that pic, usin it like it is sposed to be.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: November 02, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
Well this story has me making ajustments to my equipment.I just went out to the shop and added another blade tipped arrow to my quiver.Usually only carry 3 arrows with blades and one small game arrow.I would not want to run out of ammo tomorrow.Now on with the story....  :bigsmyl:
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: November 03, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »
Good stories and tender venison !

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: November 03, 2012, 01:26:00 AM »
Way to go Terry! Way to go Charlie!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: November 03, 2012, 06:22:00 AM »
Congrats again Charlie!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: November 03, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
Awesome fellas....great story tellin!!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: November 03, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
Good shootin', Charlie!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: November 03, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
During the week I had to make a couple of trips into town to check my email. Thanks goodness there is a McDonald's in Brookfield. I'm not the most gifted technology guy on the planet, but found it easy to use there WiFi connection.

Good thing I did. I'd been waiting to here from the printer about the progress of my book and was more than a little preoccupied with getting my mail.

It turns out there were some issues that needed addressing and I took my laptop back to the cabin to work in peace.

I was able to make the needed edits and another trip to town and I got the stress level evened out.

All together it had been another great trip at Kenny's lease. It's been overlooked by most here and I guess I'm conflicted about that.

It's for a great cause. The lease money provides income for an older couple who can use it no doubt.
By having it under Kenny's control the deer herd is prospering. Terry and I both noticed an increase in numbers and quality of bucks seen on this hunt.

On the other hand, if Terry and I are the only one's using this opportunity it feeds that selfish nature in me.... more deer for me.
   :D  

We'll be back next year for sure. I still have a date with one of the big old bucks that haunt the property and I know Terry has a score to settle.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: November 03, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
"Terry and I both noticed an increase in numbers and quality of bucks seen on this hunt."

And you really didn't get to the big piece of land!  I'm gonna work on better,easier access next year!    :thumbsup:    

Great to see you guys again!
    :)
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: November 03, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Charlie, Terry,
Man those were some great stories and pics.  I can hardly contain myself.  I am ready for my trip.  You guys went the same week that me and my son in law went last year.  We also saw some chasing and lots of deer.  Good huntin guys!

Carlie, as you said, it is a great lease.  I hope you didn't rib ole Terry too much about old Lucky.

Terry, did you loose any arras I need to look for this year?  I found the one you lost last year.  :goldtooth:

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: November 03, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
Great story guys, thanks for sharing.  :clapper:
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2012, 05:52:00 AM »
Great story!!!   well the time changed last night an i woke up at 330 ..this was a great read. thanks for the storys fellas..

Terry did you ever figure out what was going on? an the clump of hair on the neck i shot a doe last year an cut it open an was filled with a ball of loose hair?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: November 05, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Glad to see Charlie carrying on this thread...I've been away from internet for a few days...will get back to this on this evening....

T
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: November 06, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
""T"" your audience awaits   :)  

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©